nsull527

Support for people waiting for EAD?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I just want someone to at least commiserate with. We've been waiting since April 29 for our EAD. My husband, our beneficiary, has been not allowed to work for 6 months on Sunday. We talked to our congressperson a month ago and heard nothing. Friday the congresswoman's office told us our application is "on an adjudicators desk" and we should hear back by this week but honestly I don't expect to hear back.

I know that we signed up for this. I know that. But in no reality did I expect this work and travel document to take such an obscenely long time. My savings are dwindling and both mine and my husband's mental health is suffering. Hobbies/fitness/whatever he can do to take up his time only does so much. He's doing everything he can to support us in other ways than financial but I just need help.

How are other people coping with this? How do you keep yourself patient and sane? I feel like I literally do not have any patience left. I've seen in many groups that there's people who applied around the same time we did or even after us and already at least have an interview, or their EAD, and we get nothing. It just seems like there's absolutely no rhyme or reason to this process. And then I see other people who have been waiting 8,9,10 months and I literally just can't believe it. 

I'm just having a day where I'm having a hard time being positive about this and am wondering if I got myself into something that I can't actually handle. As soon as we get this stupid EAD our entire lives will change and its just so frustrating to call the USCIS and be told to "be patient" and literally not a single other explanation. 

I know I'm preaching to the choir and this probably just sounds super whiney but I just am feeling so desperate and powerless sometimes. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is probably not much help, but I would  wager everyone here has had some sort of unbearable wait in the process. 

The adjudication isn’t linear, for a variety of reasons, so it’s not uncommon for someone to have filed after you have their approval beforehand. 

It’s tough. 

The best you can do is try and remember each day passed is one closer to receiving it.  I was bored out of my mind for 6 months, but we tried to just focus on the little things to make it through.  We would go for walks and cheap (or free) community events.  I used the time to make a killer resume and cover letter.  I spent time looking into the available job markets.  If you have family close, it’s good to bond with new in-laws.  I went over to my husbands grandmothers twice a week for coffee and helping her with household chores.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Having come to the US on a K1 myself, I understand what you guys are going through, and that is the main reason why I deeply regret not having going down the spousal Visa route. But anyways. 

Here is one thing I learnt from this whole ordeal. I thought that once I had my EAD in hands, my problems would be solved. I would find a job within a month, two months maybe. 

Not what happened.

I found out that despite having extensive experience abroad and a Master's Degree in my field, I wouldn't even get to interview stage. I got my green card in March and even though I have been employed since April, it's not the job I wanted and the pay is ridiculous compared to what I made back in my country of origin.

So, why am I telling you this? Because I hope your husband won't make the same mistake I made. I did not connect with other professionals, I attended no networking events. I do believe that lack of local references harm chances of getting a job so please have him attend events, workshops, courses, anything that can get him a good recommendation from professionals in his field.

At least when he gets his EAD, more doors will open.

Good luck, and stay strong.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Nat&Amy said:

Having come to the US on a K1 myself, I understand what you guys are going through, and that is the main reason why I deeply regret not having going down the spousal Visa route. But anyways. 

Here is one thing I learnt from this whole ordeal. I thought that once I had my EAD in hands, my problems would be solved. I would find a job within a month, two months maybe. 

Not what happened.

I found out that despite having extensive experience abroad and a Master's Degree in my field, I wouldn't even get to interview stage. I got my green card in March and even though I have been employed since April, it's not the job I wanted and the pay is ridiculous compared to what I made back in my country of origin.

So, why am I telling you this? Because I hope your husband won't make the same mistake I made. I did not connect with other professionals, I attended no networking events. I do believe that lack of local references harm chances of getting a job so please have him attend events, workshops, courses, anything that can get him a good recommendation from professionals in his field.

At least when he gets his EAD, more doors will open.

Good luck, and stay strong.

This is actually really good advice, I was doing well in my home country and also have a master's. And am pretty sure I won't have the same opportunities. Definitely going to try this. 

Like Nat&Amy, despite my husband having a degree and extensive experience, it didn't quite work out like we thought. Even when the EAD finally arrived, employers didn't seem to understand what that was and were scared off until the green card showed up. So it was over a year of waiting and not working. It was hard keeping him positive, getting him to tweak his resume considerably, and making sure he believed he was capable of much better things than a job at a burger joint. Money was tight too, I almost had to forego health insurance even after preparing with savings.

I also had to get him to understand that sometimes it was good to take chances. When I showed him a PT job he was overqualified for he was skeptical about even applying, and once again dejected that he didn't hear back for months after applying. But one day out of the blue they called and apologized about delays - and that he was the only viable candidate for this job. He stayed in that position for six months before moving to FT, and two years later, he's now the manager. While he is still overqualified compared to his degree skillset, he genuinely enjoys the job and makes more than he ever did back home.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't despair, I know it's very hard... but at the same time don't pin all your hopes on the EAD being life changing. There's a chance that an EAD will still be met with silence or you may be driven to lower expectations even further by the potential of accepting low paying or part time work to start. You may have to do a lot of networking. In the downtime I found it important to keep his mind busy. We hiked a lot, took trips, and did a lot of gaming. I don't know what your husband's skillset is, but mine was a programmer... and I encouraged him to continue doing that.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

While you guys are waiting for the EAD is good to go to networking events, Meetup and Eventbrite are great resources!! Making professional connections is key for getting a job in his field. Have him update his LinkedIn profile, cover letter and resume is also a good idea. The job search is equally exhausting and frustrating, so do not get overly attached to the belief that as soon as you have your EAD your problems will be over.

Coming to the US and having no professional experience here limits the possibilities, and the best way to bypass it is by going out and making professional connections.

Good luck!

Edited by BryceAndRebeca

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi everyone. Out of interest I wonder has anyone seen the following information on the SSO website  https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211420 It states that individuals on the K1 visa do not need an EAD or DHS approval to begin working. It is one of the visa categories in which you are automatically authorized to work. My lawyer just discovered this yesterday after I asked about applying for my SSN in person in the office instead of on the adjustment of status forms. I’m still skeptical as I think it means you can work only for the 90 days. My 90 days will be up in January ( we already got married so are

filing for adjustment) and doesn’t cover the period when yours waiting in limbo. 

Can you volunteer somewhere? I have told my wife to find something she loves and go to an organization to volunteer and it gives her a chance to meet new people. My mother also gets my wife involved in stuff when I am working. I work weekend overnights at a hospital, so my mom will come pick up my wife on the weekends to get her out and participate in family events while I am sleeping.

my wife absolutely HATES staying at home all day. she is so used to working, that i can tell she is a little depressed, especially since I am working a side gig while we wait for the extra money.

She has been studying her a$$ off learning English though so that she can find a job faster, and she is also studying the interview questions, as well as job interview questions and we have roleplayed those so she knows what to expect (fortunately at my former job i was also a recruiter, so I can help a little there)

she doesn't have a transferable degree and her former job was basically retail, and my mom said she can help her find a job also, so we shall see

once she starts working we can ger her a driving permit and get her through a driving lesson so she can learn to drive, then we can save money to buy a small used starter car. we both hate any sort of debt, so that is a huge plus

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.