laylalex

Just re-entered on existing L1B but now engaged to USC

28 posts in this topic

I'm probably just freaking out for nothing because we just got off an 11 hour flight but I just wanted to check something. My fiance (officially engaged as of last week!) has been working over here on an L1B which still has another year on it. When he just went through CBP, he didn't mention that he was now engaged to me (I'm the USC). This isn't an issue, right, because the L visas are dual intent or am I wrong? We haven't set a date for the wedding yet, but we do intend to get married next year and then AOS. It's likely that his company will request that the L1B be extended as well since he's in the initial three year period now, if I understand correctly. (Please forgive me because I wasn't involved in getting the L1, that was all him and his company.)

Seriously, I'm brain dead right now. We had an early morning flight from Edinburgh to London, and then the flight from London to SFO and my body thinks it's 2:30am. I think I know that everything is fine but I just need to be told that!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I'm probably just freaking out for nothing because we just got off an 11 hour flight but I just wanted to check something. My fiance (officially engaged as of last week!) has been working over here on an L1B which still has another year on it. When he just went through CBP, he didn't mention that he was now engaged to me (I'm the USC). This isn't an issue, right, because the L visas are dual intent or am I wrong? We haven't set a date for the wedding yet, but we do intend to get married next year and then AOS. It's likely that his company will request that the L1B be extended as well since he's in the initial three year period now, if I understand correctly. (Please forgive me because I wasn't involved in getting the L1, that was all him and his company.)

Seriously, I'm brain dead right now. We had an early morning flight from Edinburgh to London, and then the flight from London to SFO and my body thinks it's 2:30am. I think I know that everything is fine but I just need to be told that!

Relax,  L1 is dual intent 

YMMV

11 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Can't see any issue there.  Congratulations on the engagement!

3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Relax,  L1 is dual intent 

Thank you! I think it's the jet lag. :blush: My fiance told me to relax as well. I think I need to open that bottle of wine I left in the fridge!

1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

Can't see any issue there.  Congratulations on the engagement!

Thank you!!! We met over 14 years ago, and we finally figured it all out. Now the fun wedding stuff can start. :D 

1 minute ago, laylalex said:

Thank you! I think it's the jet lag. :blush: My fiance told me to relax as well. I think I need to open that bottle of wine I left in the fridge!

Salut!

13 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Thank you!!! We met over 14 years ago, and we finally figured it all out. Now the fun wedding stuff can start. :D 

You’re fine, Congratulations! L1B is a dual intent visa and as long as the L1B visa is valid, she can travel and come back to the US while the I-485 is pending, without the need for AP. AP/EAD are still recommended to apply with the I-485. 

12 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Sweet!  My husband and I were penpals in the 1980s (met in person once), reconnected on FB 4 years ago, and today is our 1st wedding anniversary ❤️

Congratulations!

1 minute ago, USS_Voyager said:

You’re fine, Congratulations! L1B is a dual intent visa and as long as the L1B visa is valid, she can travel and come back to the US while the I-485 is pending, without the need for AP. AP/EAD are still recommended to apply with the I-485. 

Congratulations!

Thank you! (And congratulations to @Jorgedig -- what a sweet story!)

We have been friends since we were 20, and I was dating his best friend. I eventually married the best friend, and my fiance married someone else. We leaned on each other when our respective marriages were breaking down and, well, we kind of accidentally fell in love with each other. Actually, we realized we'd had feelings for each other for years and probably should have acted on them when we had the chance, before I got married. But now we're together and I am back from the Frozen North -- it was 34F yesterday where I was, and the forecast for Berkeley this week is pretty great (if anything, it's going to be a little warm!).

5 hours ago, laylalex said:

Thank you! (And congratulations to @Jorgedig -- what a sweet story!)

We have been friends since we were 20, and I was dating his best friend. I eventually married the best friend, and my fiance married someone else. We leaned on each other when our respective marriages were breaking down and, well, we kind of accidentally fell in love with each other. Actually, we realized we'd had feelings for each other for years and probably should have acted on them when we had the chance, before I got married. But now we're together and I am back from the Frozen North -- it was 34F yesterday where I was, and the forecast for Berkeley this week is pretty great (if anything, it's going to be a little warm!).

That is sooo lovely!  Sometimes timing is a bit inscrutable.

Btw, my oldest son graduated from Cal last year.  I adore Berkeley.  

5 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

That is sooo lovely!  Sometimes timing is a bit inscrutable.

Btw, my oldest son graduated from Cal last year.  I adore Berkeley.  

Yeah, we were marveling yesterday on the plane home at how things could have gone so much differently if he had gotten over himself at the time! There are so many little links in the chain that brought us together, little choices that took us apart but ended up joining us in the end. :)

I moved up to Berkeley at the end of last year and I love it! It's a great change from where I was living in Pasadena and then Burbank. Actual seasons are a good thing! :lol: 

16 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

Congratulations!

Sorry, been thinking about this this morning. Say for whatever reason his L1B renewal doesn't go through, as long as he's applied for the EAD, he can go back to his job once it's approved? I don't know why it wouldn't be renewed, I just tend to get paranoid when it comes to anything immigration related. And once he gets his EAD approved under the AOS procedure, he could potentially look for work at another employer? He's happy with where he is now, and I love it up here in the Bay Area, but he has had some interest from companies down in SoCal where I'm from. It would be good to have the option if it's available (although he has said he'd rather commit hara-kiri than have to live in Los Angeles, for any number of reasons).

Just now, laylalex said:

he can go back to his job once it's approved?

That is correct. The EAD is an unrestricted work permit. He can work for any employer he wants to. 

And once he gets his EAD approved under the AOS procedure, he could potentially look for work at another employer?

Correct.

he's happy with where he is now, and I love it up here in the Bay Area, but he has had some interest from companies down in SoCal where I'm from.

Usually, when you change job, that's when you get the best bump in pay. 

2 minutes ago, laylalex said:

although he has said he'd rather commit hara-kiri than have to live in Los Angeles, for any number of reasons

Money speaks. What if he gets a 50% raise? It is not unusal. One of my direct reports just got an offer just like that, 50% more than what's he making now. Had to make him counter offer. 

12 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

That is correct. The EAD is an unrestricted work permit. He can work for any employer he wants to. 

Correct.

Usually, when you change job, that's when you get the best bump in pay. 

Money speaks. What if he gets a 50% raise? It is not unusal. One of my direct reports just got an offer just like that, 50% more than what's he making now. Had to make him counter offer. 

Thanks for all this. It's not so much a money thing for us, although a 50% raise would be very tempting. He's just not crazy about LA or SoCal weather, and he's also not crazy about living in the same city as my ex-husband! :lol:  We'll see -- I like to keep my options open. I'm happy to be wherever he's happy to be. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

EAD's are taking 6 months or so, difficult to forecast this stuff so something to think about.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.