Chengbert

CRBA with US Passport; What other requirements for travel to US?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My Filipina fiancee's visa expires January 8, 2020 so we are planning to fly together to the US on December 20th; she will get her CFO-GCP done November 25. We have a son together who is 1 years of age. He has his CRBA and US Passport; I've read he will either need a Philippine Passport and/or Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC) in order to fly out. My fiancee's niece told her if he has a Philippine passport, he will also need a visa and I'm thinking ah geez, that may take some time like hers. I just want our family together. Can someone please tell me what we will need here? Mr. Greenbaum said a "HANK" would be able to get me the current requirements for our son in the Philippine subforum. I'm not really great at navigating these forums. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I had posted this same inquiry in another subforum before finding the regional so here might be better place to ask.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Chengbert said:

My Filipina fiancee's visa expires January 8, 2020 so we are planning to fly together to the US on December 20th; she will get her CFO-GCP done November 25. We have a son together who is 1 years of age. He has his CRBA and US Passport; I've read he will either need a Philippine Passport and/or Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC) in order to fly out. My fiancee's niece told her if he has a Philippine passport, he will also need a visa and I'm thinking ah geez, that may take some time like hers. I just want our family together. Can someone please tell me what we will need here? Mr. Greenbaum said a "HANK" would be able to get me the current requirements for our son in the Philippine subforum. I'm not really great at navigating these forums. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I had posted this same inquiry in another subforum before finding the regional so here might be better place to ask.

Never listen to "the niece".  ;)  

Yes to getting the Philippine passport for your son .. avoiding the ECC fee is worth the effort.

No, a Philippine passport does not mean a dual citizen needs a visa to enter the USA  ... after all he has a U.S. passport.   Like said .. never list to "the niece".

For your son - Present both passports when checking in at the airport for the flight to the USA.  At POE in the USA present only the U.S. passport.  (it is the law that USC must enter the USA with their U.S.  passport)

~

Why should you apply for the Philippines passport?  When existing the Philippines with the child having the Philippine passport will remove the ECC fee that would be charged if the child only had the U.S. passport.  The ECC fee can amount to thousands of dollars. 

Once you have the PSA copy of the birth certificate take that and a completed application to DFA.  Minors 7 years or younger do not need an appointment.

https://www.passport.gov.ph/

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
3 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Never listen to "the niece".  ;)  

Yes to getting the Philippine passport for your son .. avoiding the ECC fee is worth the effort.

No, a Philippine passport does not mean a dual citizen needs a visa to enter the USA  ... after all he has a U.S. passport.   Like said .. never list to "the niece".

For your son - Present both passports when checking in at the airport for the flight to the USA.  At POE in the USA present only the U.S. passport.  (it is the law that USC must enter the USA with their U.S.  passport)

~

Why should you apply for the Philippines passport?  When existing the Philippines with the child having the Philippine passport will remove the ECC fee that would be charged if the child only had the U.S. passport.  The ECC fee can amount to thousands of dollars. 

Once you have the PSA copy of the birth certificate take that and a completed application to DFA.  Minors 7 years or younger do not need an appointment.

https://www.passport.gov.ph/

Hank_, thanks for the speedy response. We are working on getting his Philippine Passport now.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Chengbert said:

Hank already laid out  what to do. Been through it. Get the PH Passport for your son. It's cheap and quick. The ECC can be expensive because the Philippines will look at him like he is a foreigner that overstayed. You'll end up paying penalties on top of the cost for the visas for each month since his birth, plus the cost of ECC clearance. Not to mention the time cost of that. I've had to get ECC three times for myself.

If you then want to bring your son out of the Philippines without your fiance, there is another step. You'll need a DSWD travel clearance. Sounds like you won't need that, just letting you know that you can. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, Fogi said:

Hank already laid out  what to do. Been through it. Get the PH Passport for your son. It's cheap and quick. The ECC can be expensive because the Philippines will look at him like he is a foreigner that overstayed. You'll end up paying penalties on top of the cost for the visas for each month since his birth, plus the cost of ECC clearance. Not to mention the time cost of that. I've had to get ECC three times for myself.

If you then want to bring your son out of the Philippines without your fiance, there is another step. You'll need a DSWD travel clearance. Sounds like you won't need that, just letting you know that you can. 

It’s always good to have a contingency plan. Thanks for additional info.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.