MalinB

What happens with K1 visa if husband gets stationed in Europe?

37 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Please do not comment unless you know the in an outs of Federal employment and GC spouses. 

Pretty sure the TOS says anyone may comment so just keep that in mind.

OP said her fiancé is a civilian so it is unclear if he is even a federal employee or private contractor

Just now, MalinB said:

Thank you! That would make it so much easier. Then I don’t have to worry about whether the K1 will be useless or not, we will just go through with it and figure out the rest as we see what happens. 

Yeah after I read all of this it won't be useless at all. I would definitely get married ASAP after he comes back from Afghanistan so that you can file AOS. Then hopefully you two can concentrate on spending time in Europe together (which a GS job in Europe is hard to get). Also all that time in Europe counts as living in the USA for naturalization purposes. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

To clarify: he’s a civilian working for the Navy (DOD), not a contractor. He’s been working for the Navy for 7 years or so, way before he was deployed. 

2 minutes ago, designguy said:

OP said her fiancé is a civilian so it is unclear if he is even a federal employee or private contractor

You can be a GS civilian or a contractor and the same law still applies. There was a guy on here a few years back that lived in the UAE with his spouse working as a DOD contractor and everything was fine. 

Just now, MalinB said:

To clarify: he’s a civilian working for the Navy (DOD), not a contractor. He’s been working for the Navy for 7 years or so, way before he was deployed. 

I work for the Army as a civilian getting ready to move to the Navy if I decide to take this job in Singapore or not. 

59 minutes ago, designguy said:

Pretty sure the TOS says anyone may comment so just keep that in mind.

I did not tell you no to post. I specifically said that if you are unaware of these policies then please hold off. 

I am not trying to be mean just informing you

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
2 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Nope, they can file for the AOS to be expedited due to him being on orders to Europe

I would still do it in there shoes. It would fit with the timeline also. Be cheaper and easier in their situation.

Timeline
4 hours ago, Georgia16 said:

I would still do it in there shoes. It would fit with the timeline also. Be cheaper and easier in their situation.

I know CR1 would be cheaper and has a lot of benefits, but to our specific situation, K1 is what we chose. My fiancé has a big family and to him, it’s important to have a proper (catholic) wedding which includes seeing a priest for counseling before actually getting married. And he wants it to be done in his hometown which is across the country from where we met and where he has lived since he took the job for the Navy. Also, we wanted to have time to get prenups and when he decided to go on deployment, everything happened very quickly. 

Timeline
29 minutes ago, ZoeZebra said:

Hi, I joined just to respond to you. I suggest you get your husband to call the base in Germany Citizenship & Immigration Office on base ( he can probably find the DSN number from his .mil email). US military bases especially in Europe are citizenship factories, service members marrying foreign nationals & having babies with them & whatnot. The particular base you want to be stationed at will be able to give you the best answer.

example of how easy bases make citizenship, this is for babies, you but you get the idea.
https://www.ramstein.af.mil/Portals/6/documents/Baby%20Package%202016.pdf?ver=2016-09-01-025020-667

I would also suggest you calling USCIS’s military resource center, since your husband is a DOD employee they might be able to give you some answers. 

https://www.uscis.gov/military

Hi Zoe,

thank you for your reply! I’m not sure exactly what you are suggesting though...? To not go through with the K1 that we already started, or to keep it open? I’m not worried about getting citizenship or not, that’s “easy” enough as it is, however time consuming. The question was if I should continue with the K1 process or if it would be wasted IF he gets a job in Germany 😊 We are not married yet, but have been dating since 2016 when we met in North Carolina where I went to college and he was stationed. 

11 minutes ago, MalinB said:

Hi Zoe,

thank you for your reply! I’m not sure exactly what you are suggesting though...? To not go through with the K1 that we already started, or to keep it open? I’m not worried about getting citizenship or not, that’s “easy” enough as it is, however time consuming. The question was if I should continue with the K1 process or if it would be wasted IF he gets a job in Germany 😊 We are not married yet, but have been dating since 2016 when we met in North Carolina where I went to college and he was stationed. 

Where did you go to school if you don't mind me asking?

I would continue on with the K1

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Where did you go to school if you don't mind me asking?

I would continue on with the K1

UNCW 😊 are you from NC?

Just now, MalinB said:

UNCW 😊 are you from NC?

Born and raised in Greensboro.... when I was stationed at Camp Lejeune I used to date a girl at UNCW. I spent many a weekend there. Now I love 2 hours away from Wilmington, so I only go back when I am going to Carolina Beach.

Timeline
Just now, Cyberfx1024 said:

Born and raised in Greensboro.... when I was stationed at Camp Lejeune I used to date a girl at UNCW. I spent many a weekend there. Now I love 2 hours away from Wilmington, so I only go back when I am going to Carolina Beach.

Funny, cause I lived in Emerald Isle the whole time I went to school and did my first two years at Coastal in Jacksonville, then transferred to UNCW. I absolutely love NC and I would love to move back there. However, John thought it was too slow, hence his move to San Diego. Maybe one day he’ll give in lol!!

Filed: Timeline
18 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Please do not comment unless you know the in an outs of Federal employment and GC spouses. 

Since her husband is a Federal employee with orders abroad to work. She can accompany him with her GC and it would be just like if she was living here in the USA.

Right now he has what is called a TO which means he got the job, but he will not get a final offer FO until all conditions are met to issue it. Such as a clearance, background, and credit check. 

- Current Federal employee 

Sorry -- my comment was likely wrong, given additional info, so I deleted it.

Edited by jan22

Timeline
Just now, jan22 said:

Not necessarily -- from the first post, it seems he's likely a civilian contractor and not a federal employee.  If his "deployment" was voluntary, he likely is contracted to be in Afghanistan but may not actually be on federal government orders.

Definitely federal employee and not with a private contractor. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.