Zach2015

Name Change-Biometric Appointment

9 posts in this topic

I am trying to calm my wife down. I took her to her biometric appointment today and they were questioning her why she changed her name the way she did. She tried to explain to them it is the Philippine tradition. They finally caved and said when it comes time to the interview, let the officer sort it out. I told her to just continue with the way she wants it and not what that person said. Here is an example, lets say her name was Jane Vi Amber Smith. Vi is part of her first name and Amber would be the middle. Now her new name is Jane Vi Smith White. Anybody else have problems?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Had zero issue with USCIS regarding using the Philippines traditional married name format.    I have read of a few where they balked at changing the middle name ...  I guess it depends on the adjudicator at USCIS.

Worse comes to worse you have two choices for using the traditional name format

1) complete a legal name change through the courts

2) be patient for 3 years and then change the name during the Naturalization process (free to do then)

Once your wife files ROM with the consulate she can get her Philippine passport in her married (traditional) married name. 

For U.S. documents you either hope that the USCIS adjudicator for the interview doesn't have issue or refer to 1&2 above.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

21 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Had zero issue with USCIS regarding using the Philippines traditional married name format.    I have read of a few where they balked at changing the middle name ...  I guess it depends on the adjudicator at USCIS.

Worse comes to worse you have two choices for using the traditional name format

1) complete a legal name change through the courts

2) be patient for 3 years and then change the name during the Naturalization process (free to do then)

Once your wife files ROM with the consulate she can get her Philippine passport in her married (traditional) married name. 

For U.S. documents you either hope that the USCIS adjudicator for the interview doesn't have issue or refer to 1&2 above.

Since we are probably quite a ways from the AOS interview, should she just continue to use the name she wants until the appointment? Even her biometrics letter came in the name she wants. I’m just trying to calm her down. Lol

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
45 minutes ago, Zach2015 said:

Since we are probably quite a ways from the AOS interview, should she just continue to use the name she wants until the appointment? Even her biometrics letter came in the name she wants. I’m just trying to calm her down. Lol

One of the ways to perfect a name change is to use it at every possible opportunity.   I would not get excited about what some security guard or finger print tech at the ASC questioned 

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
47 minutes ago, Zach2015 said:

Yes .. stay with the traditional naming as she wants it.    I would not put too much stock in what the person said at biometrics.       The adjudicator may not even bat an eye at the name.   

No need to worry  on this, just relax and wait for the interview ... don't bring it up during the interview either.   Unless the adjudicator says something I would stay mum.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Zach2015 said:

@payxibka@Hank_ Thank you both. I can calm her down now and tell her to stop worrying and just keep doing what she is doing with using the name she wants.

Yeah just keep using the new name she has.  I did the same thing. What was once my last name, when I got married it became my middle name. I didn’t have any problem when I did my biometrics. 

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Zach2015 said:

@payxibka@Hank_ Thank you both. I can calm her down now and tell her to stop worrying and just keep doing what she is doing with using the name she wants.

One of the benefits of getting married in Minnesota is they actually make you document what your post marriage name will be on the certificate.   Either party to the marriage can change any or all names,  if they so choose 

YMMV

My wife filed for AOS with her name the "Philippine Way."  The interviewer at AOS changed it back to the "American Way."

The only way to get her name back to the Philippine way would be at citizenship, so she is stuck with mismatched names for the next two years or so.

Others have gone through the process have been able to keep the Philippine way.  It will depend on the office and interviewer you get.  Use the name you want, stay silent, and hope for the best.

Finally done.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.