dwheels76

NVC Filers - October 2019

1,045 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I just saw this while looking for an update on the CEAC system...

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/Presidential-Proclamation-on-Health-Care.html

Presidential Proclamation on Health Care

Presidential Proclamation on Health Care - White House Announcement

If you are applying for an immigrant visa, including a diversity visa, on or after November 3, 2019, you must demonstrate to the consular officer at the time of interview that you will be covered by approved health insurance within 30 days of entry into the United States or have the financial resources to pay for reasonably foreseeable medical costs.  Inability to meet this requirement will result in the denial of the visa application.

This requirement will apply to all immigrant visa applicants and individuals seeking to enter the United States on an immigrant visa, except: 

• Individuals who are holding (or who held) a valid immigrant visa as of November 3, 2019

• Iraqi and Afghan special immigrant visa applicants and their spouses and children  (SI and SQ visas)

• Applicants who are children, whether adopted, biological, and step-children, of a U.S. citizen applying in the IR-2, CR-2, IR-3, IR-4, IH-3, or IH-4 visa classifications

• Returning Resident SB-1 applicants

• Applicants for K fiancé(e) visas and other aliens entering the United States without an immigrant visa, including lawful permanent residents, refugees, and asylees.

• Applicants for IR-5 visas and alien seeking to enter the United States pursuant to an IR-5 visa, provided that the alien or the alien’s sponsor demonstrates to the satisfaction of the consular officer that the alien’s healthcare will not impose a substantial burden on the United States healthcare system

• Any alien under the age of 18, except for any alien seeking to accompany a parent who is also immigrating to the United States and subject to this proclamation

• Any alien whose entry would further important United States law enforcement objectives, as determined by the Secretary of State or his designee based on a recommendation of the Attorney General or his designee

• Any alien whose entry would be in the national interest, as determined by the Secretary of State or his designee on a case-by-case basis

Qualifying Insurance or Financial Resource to Pay for Medical Costs 

If you are not covered by the exceptions above, you will need to show to a consular officer or immigration official that you will be covered by approved health insurance within 30 days of entry to the United States or that you have the financial resources to pay for reasonably foreseeable medical costs. 

Approved health insurance includes: 

• Employer-sponsored health plans, including retiree plans

• Unsubsidized health plans offered in the individual market within a State

• Short-term, limited duration health plans effective for a minimum of 364 days or until the beginning of planned, extended travel outside the United States

• Catastrophic plans

• Coverage by a family member’s health plan

• U.S. military health plans, including TRICARE

• Visitor health insurance plans with adequate medical coverage for a minimum of 364 days or until the beginning of planned, extended travel outside the United States

• Medical plans under the Medicare program

• Any other health plan with adequate coverage as determined by the Secretary of Health and Human Services

For individuals over the age of 18, approved health insurance does not include coverage under the Medicaid program. 

Requirement at visa interview 

During the visa interview, applicants should be able to demonstrate to the satisfaction of the consular officer that they have the financial resources to pay for reasonably foreseeable medical costs or will have approved health insurance from the list above within 30 days of entry into the United States.  Officers will review the medical and financial documentation that is already part of the applicant’s case file and may request additional information or documentation as needed. Prior to the visa interview, applicants may wish to review costs and eligibility requirements for approved health insurance plans or consider how they would pay for the reasonably foreseeable medical costs of any current medical condition they may have.   

11 minutes ago, burritohut said:

I just saw this while looking for an update on the CEAC system...

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/Presidential-Proclamation-on-Health-Care.html

Presidential Proclamation on Health Care

Presidential Proclamation on Health Care - White House Announcement

If you are applying for an immigrant visa, including a diversity visa, on or after November 3, 2019, you must demonstrate to the consular officer at the time of interview that you will be covered by approved health insurance within 30 days of entry into the United States or have the financial resources to pay for reasonably foreseeable medical costs.  Inability to meet this requirement will result in the denial of the visa application.

This requirement will apply to all immigrant visa applicants and individuals seeking to enter the United States on an immigrant visa, except: 

• Individuals who are holding (or who held) a valid immigrant visa as of November 3, 2019

• Iraqi and Afghan special immigrant visa applicants and their spouses and children  (SI and SQ visas)

• Applicants who are children, whether adopted, biological, and step-children, of a U.S. citizen applying in the IR-2, CR-2, IR-3, IR-4, IH-3, or IH-4 visa classifications

• Returning Resident SB-1 applicants

• Applicants for K fiancé(e) visas and other aliens entering the United States without an immigrant visa, including lawful permanent residents, refugees, and asylees.

• Applicants for IR-5 visas and alien seeking to enter the United States pursuant to an IR-5 visa, provided that the alien or the alien’s sponsor demonstrates to the satisfaction of the consular officer that the alien’s healthcare will not impose a substantial burden on the United States healthcare system

• Any alien under the age of 18, except for any alien seeking to accompany a parent who is also immigrating to the United States and subject to this proclamation

• Any alien whose entry would further important United States law enforcement objectives, as determined by the Secretary of State or his designee based on a recommendation of the Attorney General or his designee

• Any alien whose entry would be in the national interest, as determined by the Secretary of State or his designee on a case-by-case basis

Qualifying Insurance or Financial Resource to Pay for Medical Costs 

If you are not covered by the exceptions above, you will need to show to a consular officer or immigration official that you will be covered by approved health insurance within 30 days of entry to the United States or that you have the financial resources to pay for reasonably foreseeable medical costs. 

Approved health insurance includes: 

• Employer-sponsored health plans, including retiree plans

• Unsubsidized health plans offered in the individual market within a State

• Short-term, limited duration health plans effective for a minimum of 364 days or until the beginning of planned, extended travel outside the United States

• Catastrophic plans

• Coverage by a family member’s health plan

• U.S. military health plans, including TRICARE

• Visitor health insurance plans with adequate medical coverage for a minimum of 364 days or until the beginning of planned, extended travel outside the United States

• Medical plans under the Medicare program

• Any other health plan with adequate coverage as determined by the Secretary of Health and Human Services

For individuals over the age of 18, approved health insurance does not include coverage under the Medicaid program. 

Requirement at visa interview 

During the visa interview, applicants should be able to demonstrate to the satisfaction of the consular officer that they have the financial resources to pay for reasonably foreseeable medical costs or will have approved health insurance from the list above within 30 days of entry into the United States.  Officers will review the medical and financial documentation that is already part of the applicant’s case file and may request additional information or documentation as needed. Prior to the visa interview, applicants may wish to review costs and eligibility requirements for approved health insurance plans or consider how they would pay for the reasonably foreseeable medical costs of any current medical condition they may have.   

Does this apply to people already in process?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

it says 

So looks like you have to physically have the visa already by Nov. 3rd

Im hoping some US court will give temporary restraining order to that :( it will be much harder for the vast majority of immigrant visa applicants to get to their love ones

Edited by MrBandMrsB

5 hours ago, burritohut said:

or consider how they would pay for the reasonably foreseeable medical costs of any current medical condition they may have.

I'm curious about this. We've saved up quite a bit of money, but it doesn't say anywhere if that qualifies and how much money is enough. Anyone got a clue? 

14 minutes ago, MrBandMrsB said:

Im hoping some US court will give temporary restraining order to that :( it will be much harder for the vast majority of immigrant visa applicants to get to their love ones

I honestly don’t see the problem with expecting everyone to get health care cover... it’s a no brainer and highly irresponsible not to have it.. 

I don’t see how it makes immigration harder... immigration is expensive, if you can afford it (application - travel) you should be able to afford health care cover until covered by an employer, spouse etc..

3 minutes ago, Lehcim said:

I'm curious about this. We've saved up quite a bit of money, but it doesn't say anywhere if that qualifies and how much money is enough. Anyone got a clue? 

If you have a significant accident, do you have 10-100k spare to cover medical bills? 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

17 minutes ago, Duke & Marie said:

I honestly don’t see the problem with expecting everyone to get health care cover... it’s a no brainer and highly irresponsible not to have it.. 

I don’t see how it makes immigration harder... immigration is expensive, if you can afford it (application - travel) you should be able to afford health care cover until covered by an employer, spouse etc..

If you have a significant accident, do you have 10-100k spare to cover medical bills? 

I understand your sentiments about the matter I mean it is ideal and advantageous at some point, but on the other hand it also has disadvantages. Its not certain if everyone can get a job after a month, or what if your petitioner/spouse doesn't have private health insurance that can cover the beneficiary. 

(As for the health insurance its a must to have especially in US, and I'm not saying not to have it. What I meant is that with all the requirements stated in that proclamation it will submit a lot of applicants into scrutiny)

I don't know the new proclamation thoroughly  but you can enlighten me about the matter.

Edited by MrBandMrsB

13 minutes ago, MrBandMrsB said:

I understand your sentiments about the matter I mean it is ideal and advantageous at some point, but on the other hand it also has disadvantages. Its not certain if everyone can get a job after a month, or what if your petitioner/spouse doesn't have private health insurance that can cover the beneficiary. 

I don't know the new proclamation thoroughly  but you can enlighten me about the matter.

I don’t know it well enough either, but what I do know, is that government health care systems can’t sustain an efficient and effective system without significant cost to tax payer and generally result in very long lines for treatment and/or massive bills for patients post treatment that can’t be paid for by individuals.. 

If legal immigrants can afford the migration process, surely during these massive waiting periods (12-18 mths in most cases) we can save for a years worth of health care insurance as part of the moving process... ?

Isn’t that what responsible planning is all about? It’s not like we choose to move today and relocate tomorrow.. 

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

3 minutes ago, Duke & Marie said:

I don’t know it well enough either, but what I do know, is that health care systems can’t sustain an efficient and effective system and generally result in very long lines for treatment and/or massive bills for patients post treatment that can’t be paid for by individuals.. 

If legal immigrants can afford the migration process, surely during these massive waiting periods (12-18 mths in most cases) we can save for a years worth of health care insurance as part of the moving process... ?

Isn’t that what responsible planning is all about? It’s not like we choose to move today and relocate tomorrow.. 

You're right about that and I agree with you. But apparently that's not what I'm trying to point out. Anyway I'll just look for some way to get things through. Thanks :)

26 minutes ago, Duke & Marie said:

10k-100k is a rather big difference and that doesn't really say anything. Let's assume I'm able to spare 50k, that will probably cover 95% of all common medical issues. Now say I get some serious form of cancer, that 100k wouldn't even cut it. 

Now it's no secret that medical insurance doesn't cover everything either, so you could potentially end up in the same financial mess. 

That being said, I wasn't asking because I don't want medical insurance (not because I'm required, but because I personally want it). I was asking for practical reasons. I will have to prove to the immigration officer whether or not I have the financials to pay for it. And I would like to know how to do that. 

We can buy some overpriced plan somewhere just to meet these dumb requirements, or we can try to prove we don't need it because we have the money, and get some decent, affordable insurance once we've both settled in the US and have jobs. 

Doesn't that make sense? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Duke & Marie said:

Have you tried shopping for heath insurance lately?! A few months ago, I was quoted $450-$685 per month for 1 person in California! That's a lot of money by any stretch of imagination! Of course this will be temporary till one can get their spouse under their work insurance, but still this isn't going to be affordable for a lot of folks, specially if the petitioner is not getting health ins. through employer!

1 minute ago, Karim2018 said:

Have you tried shopping for heath insurance lately?! A few months ago, I was quoted $450-$685 per month for 1 person in California! That's a lot of money by any stretch of imagination! Of course this will be temporary till one can get their spouse under their work insurance, but still this isn't going to be affordable for a lot of folks, specially if the petitioner is not getting health ins. through employer!

True! 

Hi fellow NVC filers. As I am waiting for the NVC to come back online, I started wondering about whether I need to submit some of the similar documents to the Affidavit I864 and DS-260 in the Supporting Documents section. For example both I-864 and the Ds-260 ask for the marriage certificate, and because I am using the income of my spouse that will continue in the US to help the household income, both applications would seem to need the letter of employment continuing... Have you submitted the same documentation twice under two separate sections or just once time under one of them? My logic is that someone looks it one time and I already have so many documents, that I would hate to overwhelm them with one more copy, or do you think this is necessary?

Searching but can't find a post on this...

I would appreciate to learn what you did.

Another thought that is on my mind as a hope for this long maintenance period when submitting documents is impossible... - I hope that since NVC seems to be sending out DQs, that although for those who hasn't submitted documents the 4-6 weeks timer hasn't kicked in yet, but perhaps it will shrink the time of the wait, since NVC will have time to catch up and process the cases already submitted. Unless of course they also take a little break right now and taking it easy...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.