Mrs. M

Fish and Chips in L.A. County/Orange County

16 posts in this topic

My husband moved here to California from England back in August, and I think I'm more homesick for England than him! I'm used to visiting him in England at least every couple months, and I'm having major cravings for real fish and chips. Does anyone know of a place in L.A. or Orange County that does real fish and chips like they do in England? We've only found fish and chip places that sell tiny fish fillets, I'm desperate for the huge fillets of cod and haddock. Thanks! :help:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I don’t know about the OC but there’s Ye Olde Kong’s Head in Santa Monica and White Harte pub in Woodland Hills (I went there to watch Harry/Meghan wedding and the sandwiches were good)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I cant help but I can sympathize. I miss so many things from my trips over there. Specifically Strongbow Dark Fruits and Greggs Strawberry Donuts

He is DYING for a kebab. 

We had a UK friend say the Applebees Fish and Chips was the closest she has found to home but they were still lacking. We dont have an Applebees so we have not tried them. 

2 hours ago, Whanlin said:

I cant help but I can sympathize. I miss so many things from my trips over there. Specifically Strongbow Dark Fruits and Greggs Strawberry Donuts

He is DYING for a kebab. 

We had a UK friend say the Applebees Fish and Chips was the closest she has found to home but they were still lacking. We dont have an Applebees so we have not tried them. 

Ooh we do have an Applebees near us that I could try, thanks! My husband definitely misses his doner kebabs, the ones he's had here are nothing like he's used to lol.

Stated above, but Ye Old Kings Head in SM has the most comprehensive English menu we've seen... my husband was over the moon. Plus they have a whole little shop with English Imported goods. You pay about 3x the price for a bar of dairy milk... but so worth it 😂

We'll definitely check it out @sam.e, thank you! The husband will like that it's the same name as his favorite pub too lol.

I went to the Kings Head for British New Years (celebrated at 4pm 😆) - it’s got On The Buses and Only Fools and Horses posters everywhere 😆.

I didn’t eat there, but there was malt vinegar on every table, which means chips are served properly there (I mean chips, not crisps)! 👍🏻

Ooooh, their menu does look good!

http://www.yeoldekingshead.com/menus/breakfast-lunch-and-dinner/

And whilst they don’t mention it on there, I bet they’d do a chip cob (something I always miss when I’m out of England for more than a month and have specifically voiced my fears about not having access to in LA)...

1 minute ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

Ooooh, their menu does look good!

http://www.yeoldekingshead.com/menus/breakfast-lunch-and-dinner/

And whilst they don’t mention it on there, I bet they’d do a chip cob (something I always miss when I’m out of England for more than a month and have specifically voiced my fears about not having access to in LA)...

I've already sent the link to my husband, I'm going there this weekend with or without him! :lol: I really think that he was meant to be born here and I was meant to be born in England. He doesn't miss England at all but I'm feeling homesick from not being there for more than 4 months lol.

I've never seen On the Buses or Only Fools and Horses, I'll have to check them out. My all time favorite is Friday Night Dinner though lol I watch it all the time and I never get tired of it. :lol:

Just now, Mrs. M said:

I've already sent the link to my husband, I'm going there this weekend with or without him! :lol: I really think that he was meant to be born here and I was meant to be born in England. He doesn't miss England at all but I'm feeling homesick from not being there for more than 4 months lol.

I've never seen On the Buses or Only Fools and Horses, I'll have to check them out. My all time favorite is Friday Night Dinner though lol I watch it all the time and I never get tired of it. :lol:

They’re ooooold British comedy series’, from the 80s/early 90s..made in a day where ‘sexism’ and ‘political correctness’ didn’t really exist. Basically, when I walked into the Queen’s Head, I was like ‘oh, this is an old man’s pub from up north!’...and 10 minutes later, an old man from Liverpool started talking to me and my fiancé 😆 - case in point.

12 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

They’re ooooold British comedy series’, from the 80s/early 90s..made in a day where ‘sexism’ and ‘political correctness’ didn’t really exist. Basically, when I walked into the Queen’s Head, I was like ‘oh, this is an old man’s pub from up north!’...and 10 minutes later, an old man from Liverpool started talking to me and my fiancé 😆 - case in point.

Now that I think of it, I did watch the whole series of The Bottom which was from the 80s I think... definitely sexist and politically incorrect, but hilarious! Haha.

1 minute ago, Mrs. M said:

Now that I think of it, I did watch the whole series of The Bottom which was from the 80s I think... definitely sexist and politically incorrect, but hilarious! Haha.

Just ‘Bottom’ (no ‘the’) - and yep, early/mid nineties - and really funny 😆. Check out The Young Ones and Blackadder too, if you like Bottom - same era, similar styles.

4 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

Just ‘Bottom’ (no ‘the’) - and yep, early/mid nineties - and really funny 😆. Check out The Young Ones and Blackadder too, if you like Bottom - same era, similar styles.

Will do, thanks! :thumbs:

Native SoCal girl -- Husband No. 1 was English, and Husband-to-be No. 2 is Scottish, so I have learned a bit about what is and is not acceptable in terms of fish and chips! 

While the Olde King's Head is fine, and I've had many a decent meal there (also the only place I've found to have "proper" bacon available whenever I needed to get some), it is crowded and touristy. In Santa Monica, I prefer the C.oc.k 'n' Bull. Not only are the fish and chips great and the beers well kept, it feels REALLY like being in a proper boozer. This is a place for locals, and British people. The owner is a great guy, too. Cannot recommend it enough, and off the tourist trail. https://cocknbullbritishpub.com/

The other place is up in Pasadena, where I used to live -- Lucky Baldwin's. There are two locations in Pasadena. One's in Old Town and that is the one I really recommend. Fish and chips are fantastic, and there's a little shop up front (much smaller than OKH). My ex would occasionally feel moved to have a full English and that's where we'd go when I didn't feel like cooking one myself. There's a massive selection of beers, too. Also, it's nice to kick around in Pasadena for the day -- plenty to see. https://luckybaldwins.pub/

Those are probably the best I know of -- there are a couple of places up in the Valley I've been to from time to time, but nothing quite matches either of the ones I've mentioned. :) 

LOL -- the system won't let me type out the name of the C 'n' B!!!! :lol: 

Edited by laylalex

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.