mawilson

Israel deploys robo-snipers on Gaza border

114 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Just a thought - moderators who have a personal interest in a topic should let others take action on those posts. It's difficult to separate material of personal interest and no mod should be expected to be 100% effective at it. Better they let others do it. That's why we have 3 mods and not one.

Am I reading this right? LS got censored for saying "Go Israel" ??????

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm going to have to say I'm pretty disgusted at the way many of you have acted towards lal_brandow. I mean, okay, you don't agree with what she has done; well, we aren't going to please everyone all of the time now are we? However, does that make it all right to b!tch at her, continually bait her and generally behave in a nasty fashion?

No, it doesn't.

If you have a problem either with her or the thread (or with anyone else) then you report it to the Captain, you don't continue on insulting or baiting her in this thread. All it does is upset people and achieves absolutely nothing.

Edited by mags

mags,

If posters have problems, it should be discussed in the open forum so others can chime in if they've had the same issues and haven't bothered to speak up.

And besides, this whole mod thing is new - I would imagine that ya'll would encourage public feedback, not discourage it.

Timeline
mags,

If posters have problems, it should be discussed in the open forum so others can chime in if they've had the same issues and haven't bothered to speak up.

And besides, this whole mod thing is new - I would imagine that ya'll would encourage public feedback, not discourage it.

I encourage feedback, of course. But not when it is presented within a minefield of insults and in between people deliberately trying to bait others.

Moderating is a learning curve for some of us. We aren't going to get it right all of the time so rather than being so aggressive about it, as people have today, work with us and help us to help VJ.

Edited by mags

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

True. Can't please EVERYONE. People are too sensitive to everything that is said or done these days. Everything is a protest. Say something that someone doesn't agree with, you're automatically pinned as a racist, etc. I know. I've been called a racist plenty of times on here. Do I believe it? I don't think anyone actually cares. It's an opportunity to get a jab at someone. You see my skin color in my photo? Quite tanned being 1/2 Filipino. I'm a firm believer in true freedom of speech. A member of the KKK can say what they wish about my skin color, my ethic background, or whatever. It doesn't bother me. Why should it? They're utilizing their freedom of speech about how they feel. I am content with who I am and what I am. With people saying words that are considered to be hateful, racist, etc., if there is no direct threat of physical violence, let it be said and ignore it. Because it's not worth letting any person(s) or group of people alter the way a person thinks and feels in their heart.

Edited by JoeMama

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

True. Can't please EVERYONE. People are too sensitive to everything that is said or done these days. Everything is a protest. Say something that someone doesn't agree with, you're automatically pinned as a racist, etc. I know. I've been called a racist plenty of times on here. Do I believe it? I don't think anyone actually cares. It's an opportunity to get a jab at someone. You see my skin color in my photo? Quite tanned being 1/2 Filipino. I'm a firm believer in true freedom of speech. A member of the KKK can say what they wish about my skin color, my ethic background, or whatever. It doesn't bother me. Why should it? They're utilizing their freedom of speech about how they feel. I am content with who I am and what I am. With people saying words that are considered to be hateful, racist, etc., if there is no direct threat of physical violence, let it be said and ignore it. Because it's not worth letting any person(s) or group of people can alter the way I think and feel in your heart.

You're a good man, JoMama!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

I will be very clear on this. I support the decision of the mods unless proven otherwise as they really have a better feel for the forums on a day to day level when it comes to determining things that may violate certain clauses such as personal attacks, derogitory comments, etc.. It is wrong to create a public specticle to argue against a decision made by a mod or admin. If you disagree with a mod do not argue with them just PM me. They are trying there best and to be clear things are only made "invisible" and can be restored if needed later. Arguing on the forums really makes no sense -- please write a well thought out argument why you think things should not have been moderated and PM me.

A few here were very rude to the mods and also violated the TOS (and I am not talking about the initial post that was set invisible nor even dealing with why it was made invisible). Per the request to be clear I am going to go to the TOS and cite why people should not have done a few things that they did to attack the mods (again in the future just PM me if you are truly concerned). I will take appropriate action on any TOS violations as well based on the example responses to TOS violations posted in the Site Related Discussion Forum.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

this is a simple situation in which I set a post (and subsequent quoted posts) to invisible for Captain to review. I have said over and over again - if my decision was wrong I will be counseled on it. I do, however feel that the original complaint was valid. Bash away - I was only trying to help the climate.

Matt85 - you have your facts wrong. The only request I ever made about your siggy was to YOU personally. I did not MAKE you remove it nor did I censor you in any way. I expressed myself as a member that I thought it was inappropriate. Setting up an "attack mission" in your chat thread is childish and unwarranted. But hey, if you enjoy it - have at it.

People are ALL taking this way to seriously! :star:

Timeline

Per the TOS:

Post any information obtained or originally transmitted in confidence or with the implied belief that the message was to be kept in confidence without the express permission of the original author of the communication. Additionally any direct communication (with the exception of publicly viewable Posts on the discussion forums) between administrators or moderators and a member are strictly prohibited from being Posted to the discussion forums or retransmitted in any way.

While this is very broad there are varios degrees to which people tend to do this. In this topic it was certainly done to a greater extent than was appropriate:

Make comments in a Post either direct or implied toward another member that are purposely designed to upset, antagonize, make fun of, belittle, or otherwise instigate an argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by other users.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Timeline
this is a simple situation in which I set a post (and subsequent quoted posts) to invisible for Captain to review. I have said over and over again - if my decision was wrong I will be counseled on it. I do, however feel that the original complaint was valid. Bash away - I was only trying to help the climate.

Matt85 - you have your facts wrong. The only request I ever made about your siggy was to YOU personally. I did not MAKE you remove it nor did I censor you in any way. I expressed myself as a member that I thought it was inappropriate. Setting up an "attack mission" in your chat thread is childish and unwarranted. But hey, if you enjoy it - have at it.

People are ALL taking this way to seriously! :star:

Actually Matt I did ask as a favor if you could remove it as it was upsetting people. You of course were reluctant but you respected my perspective and removed it in the interests of the community as a whole. If you are mad be mad at me for trying to play arbitrar and make everyone happy. :P

To all:

The mods are just doing their job and enforcing the TOS as they can do best. Please do not attack them for trying to make the VJ community the best it can be.

Timeline

Per the official TOS enforcement Guide / Reference (http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=322):

The resulting action for posting a PM from a mod or admin on the board is as follows:

Post any information obtained or originally transmitted in confidence or with the implied belief that the message was to be kept in confidence without the express permission of the original author of the communication. Additionally any direct communication (with the exception of publicly viewable Posts on the Forums) between administrators or moderators and a member are strictly prohibited from being Posted to the Forums.

>> First and subsequent Offense Suspension Length: 30 days to life

This was published several years ago and is nothing new. I am in the position to have to either follow the pre-posted guide or deviate if the situation allows.

Actually Matt I did ask as a favor if you could remove it as it was upsetting people. You of course were reluctant but you respected my perspective and removed it in the interests of the community as a whole. If you are mad be mad at me for trying to play arbitrar and make everyone happy. :P

In no way was my comment directed to you Ewok. I apologize if you took it as such. :)

21FUNNY.gif

Timeline

In no way was my comment directed to you Ewok. I apologize if you took it as such. :)

But your comment WAS directed to a mod, lal_brandow, it was deliberately baiting her, which is against TOS.

TOS:

Make comments in a Post either direct or implied toward another member that are purposely designed to upset, antagonize, make fun of, belittle, or otherwise instigate an argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by other users.
Edited by mags