mawilson

Israel deploys robo-snipers on Gaza border

114 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Israel has begun deploying stationary robot gun-and-sensor installations along its borders

with the Gaza Strip, according to reports.

Both Jane's Defence Weekly and Defence News reported last week that the Israeli Defence

Forces (IDF) have begun deploying automated gun stations in pillboxes along the Gaza border.

The robot systems are said to mount cal-fifty (12.7mm) machine guns, protected by "armoured

folding shields" until ready to fire.

Defence News says the auto-gun network is developed by Rafael, the Israeli state weapons

bureau. Given the reported calibre of the weaponry, this suggests that the gun-bots in use are

the Mini-Samson type, normally used as a remote-controlled gun turret on light fighting vehicles

so as to avoid a gunner having to poke his torso up out of a hatch (top gunner is one of the

most dangerous jobs in counter-insurgency vehicle patrolling.)

In this case, the automatic guns and their long range electro-optical sensors will be tied in by

optic fibre to a command network which will also be able to draw information from existing

ground sensors, manned aircraft, and overhead drones.

According to Defence News Tel Aviv correspondent Barbara Opall-Rome, "each machine gun-

mounted station serves as a type of robotic sniper, capable of enforcing a nearly 1,500-meter-

deep no-go zone".

"The IDF's Southern Command is also considering adding Gill/Spike anti-tank missiles to extend

the no-go zones to several kilometers, defense and industry sources here said."

The integrated robo-sniper network has reportedly been dubbed "See-Shoot" by the IDF,

suggesting that asking questions isn't on the priority list.

"Nobody has any business approaching our border fence," an unnamed Israeli official told

Opall-Rome. "It's well-understood that this area is off-limits..."

All in all, the Israeli gun-bot force seems distinctly more hardcore than the South Korean one.

Not only do the IDF robo-snipers pack a more #######-kicking gun, their automatic armour-shuttered

pillboxes seem a lot harder to circumvent than the Korean SGR-A1's "anti-theft alarm".

What's more, there seems to be a future plan for the Israeli gun systems to become true killer

robots rather than just remote hardened weapon stations.

"At least in the initial phases of deployment, we're going to have to keep the man in the loop,"

an unnamed IDF commander reportedly told Opall-Rome. "We don't want to risk making tragic

and politically costly mistakes with such a lethal system."

More from Defence News here.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
The birth of the real-life Terminator has begun! :o

Laugh all you want, but the UK Ministry of Defense have just launched a communication satellite

called Skynet which will be used to control airborne cyber-gunships remarkably similar to those in

the Terminator films. :whistle:

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Timeline
The birth of the real-life Terminator has begun! :o

Those (or similar machines) have been around for a long while. They were deployed on the German-German border as well as along portions of the Berlin Wall decades ago. This ain't new. Just seems that the hardware is being refined and futher developed.

Whoever's doing it, please cut the ####### and stop censoring my posts.

they did it to me too

they = lal_brandow

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

yes, I did as a response to reports I received. I also did try to PM mawilson, however his PM box is full.

a report for what? I thought only reports went to ewok? You mean regular PMs?

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

yes, I did as a response to reports I received. I also did try to PM mawilson, however his PM box is full.

yes, PM's. I explained to you in the PM why I felt it necessary to remove the post. If you believe I acted incorrectly - please contact Ewok.

yes, PM's. I explained to you in the PM why I felt it necessary to remove the post. If you believe I acted incorrectly - please contact Ewok.
Since when do you have any frackin' business in helping Ewok enforce?

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Showing support for Israel is somehow against VJs TOS? You bet I'll be contacting Ewok.

Senator Barack Obama
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ummm, since she became a moderator. :blink:

Showing support for Israel is somehow against VJs TOS?

You were doing more than that.

Ummm, since she became a moderator. :blink:

Showing support for Israel is somehow against VJs TOS?

You were doing more than that.

Like what Jenn? What did the leader of the Junior thought police catch me thinking?

Edited by LuckyStrike

Senator Barack Obama
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

censorship is bad

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835