cheff and jerry

Petition name is different from passport name

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello, Im already on NVC stage and about to set interview and medical appointment, question is, my petition name on the I129F is different from my passport, Im divorced in the US but presently living in the Philippines and still using my married name here, will it be a problem?

6 hours ago, cheff and jerry said:

Hello, Im already on NVC stage and about to set interview and medical appointment, question is, my petition name on the I129F is different from my passport, Im divorced in the US but presently living in the Philippines and still using my married name here, will it be a problem?

Yes.  Your documents should all match and be updated to your current legal name.  And if returning to your maiden name was part of the divorce settlement, be sure to include that with the rest of the divorce decree.

Timeline
39 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Yes.  Your documents should all match and be updated to your current legal name.  And if returning to your maiden name was part of the divorce settlement, be sure to include that with the rest of the divorce decree.

Okay, will they deny the petition even if I bring all the necessary documentations?

Just now, cheff and jerry said:

Okay, will they deny the petition even if I bring all the necessary documentations?

There is no way of knowing.  It could complicate the verification of identity/background checks and delay things.  Best bet is to apply for a passport in the current legal name.

Timeline

My married name here in the phils is still my current legal name, by mistake my fiance applied my name on my maiden name since I’ve been working outside the country for a while now and not been using the married name, thanks for any advice

1 minute ago, cheff and jerry said:

My married name here in the phils is still my current legal name, by mistake my fiance applied my name on my maiden name since I’ve been working outside the country for a while now and not been using the married name, thanks for any advice

Ah, I see.  I thought you were the USC petitioner since you said you were divorced in the US.  Maybe @geowrian or @payxibka would know.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, cheff and jerry said:

1 hour ago, cheff and jerry said:

The I-129F should have been filed in your legal name of record.  Hard to say with the K-1 how the embassy will react, being divorce isn't allowed in the Philippines, and you did not complete the Recognition of Divorce through the courts.   

This is not a common situation, I do not know of others that have filed the I-129F in a "different name" with the K-1 for the Philippines.     You will have to keep us informed as to how the embassy addresses this issue.   My gut says they won't be "happy"

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Hi! For the past 8 years I have been trying to annul my marriage in the Philippines, only recently (2017) did the officials announced that we can do “Recognition of Divorce”, now I have met someone and the k1 petition is approved, Im stuck with the legal name still, shall I proceed with the interview or wait for the finality of the Annulment? Your advice will be appreciated

Timeline
5 minutes ago, cheff and jerry said:

Hi! For the past 8 years I have been trying to annul my marriage in the Philippines, only recently (2017) did the officials announced that we can do “Recognition of Divorce”, now I have met someone and the k1 petition is approved, Im stuck with the legal name still, shall I proceed with the interview or wait for the finality of the Annulment? Your advice will be appreciated

Your annulment process has been going on for 8 years??   Holy Moly!        Are you even close to the finality of annulment?

You could delay the interview for a time, but if you are not even close to the finality of annulment there is no saying how much longer that will take.

Philippines forum:   https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Hi again! As what my lawyer adviced, we’re on the last stages, also as what I have heard from group chats they say to just put in the legal name on ds160 same with the passport and bring all documents necessary 

31 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Your annulment process has been going on for 8 years??   Holy Moly!        Are you even close to the finality of annulment?

You could delay the interview for a time, but if you are not even close to the finality of annulment there is no saying how much longer that will take.

Philippines forum:   https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

So petitions can be approved even without final annulment?  Wouldn’t that technically mean the beneficiary in this case was not legally free to marry at the time of filing?

Edited by Jorgedig

Timeline

Yes, as long as there is a divorce decree and the marriage will happen outside the Philippines they will approve

Timeline

Hi again! As what my lawyer adviced, we’re on the last stages, also as what I have heard from group chats they say to just put in the legal name on ds160 same with the passport and bring all documents necessary 

Correct, you should use your legal name on the DS-160.

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
42 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

So petitions can be approved even without final annulment?  Wouldn’t that technically mean the beneficiary in this case was not legally free to marry at the time of filing?

She was divorced in the USA, and was free to marry at the time of filing the I-129F     

.. the annulment is a Philippines "issue"

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving from K1 to Philippines regional forum for country specific answers  *******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.