Cactus0430

Dual citizenship application

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am a US Citizen and I would like to know if anyone could help me understand on how to apply and the process of applying for dual citizenship ? Do I need to be a citizen of the Philippines or dual citizen ignoring I intend to start up a business in Manila ?

thanks to ya’ll! God bless 

* Moved from US Citizenship forum to Philippines regional forum. OP is already a USC. *

The US doesn't care about your other citizenships....just that you're a USC.

As for how to obtain dual citizenship, I'll defer to others. I moved the thread to help get answers suited to that question.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Found this link that may help you: https://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular-services-2/dual-citizensh1p-ra-9225

How did you acquire your US citizenship?

Were you a former Filipino that was naturalized? Then you qualify to apply for dual citizenship (US-Phil).

You do not need FIlipino citizenship to start a business in Manila. However, if you do, the common knowledge is, you can only own a maximum of 40% ownership of the business. There are more stipulations to this on Foreign Investment Act of 1991 or RA 8179. You can read more about that here: http://boiown.gov.ph/db-main-final/foreign-investments/

This article might help you as well: https://enterph.com/blog/the-expats-quick-guide-to-starting-a-business-in-the-philippines/

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Apr 23, 2024: CEAC website shows "Paid"

Apr 25, 2024: Uploaded Civil and Financial documents

May 1, 2024: Documents accepted except for marriage certificate (unreadable) and death certificate (wrong file)

May 3, 2024: Ordered marriage certificate and death certificate from PSA online

May 9, 2024: Received email from PSA that marriage cert is blurred/eligible--will need 15 more days for reverification

May 22, 2024: Marriage Cert received from PSA (death cert was delivered 2 weeks earlier)

May 23, 2024: Uploaded new files to the CEAC website

May 29, 2024: Documentary Qualified

July 13, 2024: Expedite Request to NVC

July 15, 2024: NVC responded that it will forward the request to the embassy

July 16, 2024: Expedite request rejected by the embassy

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 hours ago, Cactus0430 said:

Hello,

I am a US Citizen and I would like to know if anyone could help me understand on how to apply and the process of applying for dual citizenship ? Do I need to be a citizen of the Philippines or dual citizen ignoring I intend to start up a business in Manila ?

thanks to ya’ll! God bless 

Too many unknowns here.     1- Were you a Philippine citizen and obtained U.S. citizenship through naturalization?   2.  Or are you the child with at least one parent being a Philippine citizen at the time of your birth?

As noted already .. foreigners cannot own majority interest of businesses in the Philippines (see above ^^ )

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

On 9/13/2019 at 10:25 PM, MarryMe987654 said:

Found this link that may help you: https://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular-services-2/dual-citizensh1p-ra-9225

How did you acquire your US citizenship?

Were you a former Filipino that was naturalized? Then you qualify to apply for dual citizenship (US-Phil).

You do not need FIlipino citizenship to start a business in Manila. However, if you do, the common knowledge is, you can only own a maximum of 40% ownership of the business. There are more stipulations to this on Foreign Investment Act of 1991 or RA 8179. You can read more about that here: http://boiown.gov.ph/db-main-final/foreign-investments/

This article might help you as well: https://enterph.com/blog/the-expats-quick-guide-to-starting-a-business-in-the-philippines/

Hello, I am Filipino , born and raised by both Filipinos in the Philippines. I became a US citizen via marriage to a US naturalized citizen more than a decade ago. I am wanting to know if now I am a US citizen and I intend to put up a business in the Philippines require me to be a resident in the Philippines since I no longer live in the Philippines ?

thanks 

Hello, 

Upon reading some resources, here are your options:

1) Dual citizenship - this will allow you to acquire two citizenships, engage in business, vote and own a land. You will have to pay taxes in the US and Philippines. More info here: https://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular-services-2/dual-citizensh1p-ra-9225

2) Returning Former Natural-born Filipino - this is only if you want to reside in the Philippines permanently. This will allow you to engage in business as well. More info here: https://immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/returning-former-natural-born-filipino

Note that #2 is different from Balikbayan Visa. Balikbayan visa info here: http://immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/balikbayan-previlege

Hope this helps. 

Edited by MarryMe987654
Chqnge of words

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Apr 23, 2024: CEAC website shows "Paid"

Apr 25, 2024: Uploaded Civil and Financial documents

May 1, 2024: Documents accepted except for marriage certificate (unreadable) and death certificate (wrong file)

May 3, 2024: Ordered marriage certificate and death certificate from PSA online

May 9, 2024: Received email from PSA that marriage cert is blurred/eligible--will need 15 more days for reverification

May 22, 2024: Marriage Cert received from PSA (death cert was delivered 2 weeks earlier)

May 23, 2024: Uploaded new files to the CEAC website

May 29, 2024: Documentary Qualified

July 13, 2024: Expedite Request to NVC

July 15, 2024: NVC responded that it will forward the request to the embassy

July 16, 2024: Expedite request rejected by the embassy

On 9/14/2019 at 1:40 AM, Hank_ said:

Too many unknowns here.     1- Were you a Philippine citizen and obtained U.S. citizenship through naturalization?   2.  Or are you the child with at least one parent being a Philippine citizen at the time of your birth?

As noted already .. foreigners cannot own majority interest of businesses in the Philippines (see above ^^ )

both of my parents are Filipinos and I was born and raised in the Philippines. Married a US national many decades ago and evidently, I am a US Citizen . 

I was wondering if I intend to put up a business in the Philippines if I will be eligible and allowed to do so since I am no longer a resident there . It is a partnership business together with my friends who are Filipino citizens and residents as well.

Thank you 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, Cactus0430 said:

both of my parents are Filipinos and I was born and raised in the Philippines. Married a US national many decades ago and evidently, I am a US Citizen . 

I was wondering if I intend to put up a business in the Philippines if I will be eligible and allowed to do so since I am no longer a resident there . It is a partnership business together with my friends who are Filipino citizens and residents as well.

Thank you 

I for sure don't know the business laws of the Philippines.   You will have to do some reach to find your answers

Dual Citizenship can be complete through a Philippine consulate near you.  @MarryMe987654 gave you links 

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

You should apply for dual citizenship as  returning filipino as there is less red tape being a filipino citizen. Regardless if you are opening a business you would want it in your name so no one else can pull the rug from out from under you. 

On 9/17/2019 at 10:02 AM, Cactus0430 said:

I intend to put up a business in the Philippines if I will be eligible and allowed to do so since I am no longer a resident there . It is a partnership business together with my friends who are Filipino citizens and residents as well

Residency and Citizenship are 2 different things.

Contact the PI consulate that has jurisdiction for where you live and apply to get your citizenship back.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.