Summer2

does USEM accept co sponsor?

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

I just want to ask if anyone got any experience with having a co sponsor/joint sponsor for a K1 visa here in the Philippines. I recently filed a K1 visa with a co sponsor(my sister) and then found out that USEM doesn't accept any co sponsor? is this really true? 

My salary didn't reach the poverty income guidelines because i am working at a family owned business and they provide all of my necessities plus allowances. I hope the CO would understand that we Filipino had a different culture in terms of family owned business.

Edited by Summer2
adding

45 minutes ago, Summer2 said:

Hi,

I just want to ask if anyone got any experience with having a co sponsor/joint sponsor for a K1 visa here in the Philippines. I recently filed a K1 visa with a co sponsor(my sister) and then found out that USEM doesn't accept any co sponsor? is this really true? 

My salary didn't reach the poverty income guidelines because i am working at a family owned business and they provide all of my necessities plus allowances. I hope the CO would understand that we Filipino had a different culture in terms of family owned business.

What do you mean you 'filed a K1 visa'?  Are you the petitioner or beneficiary?  Is the joint sponsor a USC or LPR?  Please try your best to explain your situation a bit better.

COs make decisions based on the totality of the situation regarding the public charge.  It is not a culturally-driven decision, it is simply based on how likely an immigrant is to become a public charge in the US, thereby a burden on US taxpayers.

I have also read here on VJ that the US embassy in Manila doesn't generally accept joint sponsors, but VJ members who have gone through that embassy would know for sure.  @geowrian, @payxibka, @Hank

Edited by Jorgedig

I already submited I-129F, i am the petitioner and my co sponsor is a USC.

Im just worried that Manila embassy does not accept a co sponsorship based on what i read online and since my salary can't reach the salary income guidelines because of me working at a family owned business.

I don't think that my fiance will be a burden because most of the time she's the one visiting me here in the USA she has a good job at the Philippines and has a tourist visa.

8 minutes ago, Summer2 said:

I already submited I-129F, i am the petitioner and my co sponsor is a USC.

Im just worried that Manila embassy does not accept a co sponsorship based on what i read online and since my salary can't reach the salary income guidelines because of me working at a family owned business.

I don't think that my fiance will be a burden because most of the time she's the one visiting me here in the USA she has a good job at the Philippines and has a tourist visa.

The public charge determination does not take into account the beneficiary's income.

You may want to consider trying to get a better-paying job if you want to sponsor an immigrant.

2 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

The public charge determination does not take into account the beneficiary's income.

You may want to consider trying to get a better-paying job if you want to sponsor an immigrant.

That's the problem, we Filipino have a different culture in terms of family/family owned business wherein we prioritize helping family members and besides i already submitted the forms i'm just worried after reading that article at VJ that US embassy in Manila doesn't generally accept joint sponsors

Just now, Summer2 said:

That's the problem, we Filipino have a different culture in terms of family/family owned business wherein we prioritize helping family members and besides i already submitted the forms i'm just worried after reading that article at VJ that US embassy in Manila doesn't generally accept joint sponsors

Which forms did you submit?  Just the I-129f?  The I-134 is submitted in person at the consular interview.

Like I said, the public charge consideration takes in the overall financial situation of the petitioner's ability to sponsor an immigrant.  You can certainly attempt to use a joint sponsor, but they don't have to accept it.  You may need to look at getting a job that pays better than a family allowance.

6 minutes ago, Summer2 said:

Since you already know that the embassy is Manilla is usually not accepting other sponsors, what is your question? 

You can always wait to see if it will be accepted at the interview, and work on finding another job to supplement your income. 

The requirement is barely over minimun wage.  Culture or not, this is the legal minimum wage in the USA.  

Edited by Lemonslice

11 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Since you already know that the embassy is Manilla is usually not accepting other sponsors, what is your question? 

You can always wait to see if it will be accepted at the interview, and work on finding another job to supplement your income. 

The requirement is barely over minimun wage.  Culture or not, this is the legal minimum wage in the USA.  

i already submitted my forms not knowing that they don't usually accept sponsorship.

Is that possible that i may go to the next step(interview) then update them that i got a new job?

2 minutes ago, Summer2 said:

i already submitted my forms not knowing that they don't usually accept sponsorship.

Is that possible that i may go to the next step(interview) then update them that i got a new job?

What do you mean? What forms, exactly, did you submit?  The I-134 would be hand-carried by your fiancé to his/her interview at the consulate in Manila.

There is NO income info of any kind on the I-129 petition.

Edited by Jorgedig

It seems like maybe you are living and working in the Philippines currently?

If that is the case, you will need to move to the US to establish domicile and get a job before bringing over an immigrant.

Any income earned in the Philippines that will not continue in the US is not eligible for consideration.

10 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

It seems like maybe you are living and working in the Philippines currently?

If that is the case, you will need to move to the US to establish domicile and get a job before bringing over an immigrant.

Any income earned in the Philippines that will not continue in the US is not eligible for consideration.

No im currently here at US, ill get back to you guys with the forms and some details later. 

something just came up. Thank you for the fast response. 

Edited by Summer2

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Summer2 said:

Hi,

24 minutes ago, Summer2 said:

No im currently here at US, ill get back to you guys with the forms and some details later. 

something just came up. Thank you for the fast response. 

With the K-1 visa, the embassy has been known to accept a co-sponsor.  What the embassy looks for is that the co-sponsor be a close family member (parents, siblings).  Embassy is not required to accept a co-sponsor with the K-1 visa, totally their option if they do or don't, unlike with the immigrant visa (spouse, I-130)  where they are required to accept a qualified co-sponsor.

Have you completed the I-129F petition process with USCIS?  < You do not submit financial support evidence with the I-129F.    The financial support evidence is later after the approved petition has reached the embassy.

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/uscis-petition-process.html

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

5 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

Manila accepts co sponsors everyday.  The only place I've ever heard they don't is through agencies and lawyers trying to make a quick buck.  They do prefer that the co sponsors be a close family member but I have personally witnessed approvals with a co sponsor and 221(g)s issued to get a co sponsor.  

No financials are needed until the interview and even then they may not be requested.

If you are a US Citizen and you are in the US and working under the filipino culture it is time for a reality check.  What works there simply wont work here.  Time to get a real job with real pay.  This is not the Philippines and there is a small chance at getting a visa approval and zero chance of getting a green card unless you can show that you can support your partner.  My recommendation is to get a job and help out the family business on your off time.  There are laws in the US and even family owned businesses are required to follow them.

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

7 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

What do you mean you 'filed a K1 visa'?  Are you the petitioner or beneficiary?  Is the joint sponsor a USC or LPR?  Please try your best to explain your situation a bit better.

COs make decisions based on the totality of the situation regarding the public charge.  It is not a culturally-driven decision, it is simply based on how likely an immigrant is to become a public charge in the US, thereby a burden on US taxpayers.

I have also read here on VJ that the US embassy in Manila doesn't generally accept joint sponsors, but VJ members who have gone through that embassy would know for sure.  @geowrian, @payxibka, @Hank

Manila accepts co sponsors on a case by case basis. A close family member would typically be fine.

6 hours ago, Summer2 said:

Those items are not criteria for the public charge determination. See the FAM: https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030208.html#M302_8_2_B_2

1 hour ago, John & Rose said:

Manila accepts co sponsors everyday.  The only place I've ever heard they don't is through agencies and lawyers trying to make a quick buck.  They do prefer that the co sponsors be a close family member but I have personally witnessed approvals with a co sponsor and 221(g)s issued to get a co sponsor.  

For a K-1...? They hardly ever even ask for an I-134 so it would be impossible to know how many people are using a co sponsor.

For an immigrant visa, a joint sponsor must be considered. For a K-1, it's a judgement call by the CO.

6 hours ago, Summer2 said:

That's the problem, we Filipino have a different culture in terms of family/family owned business wherein we prioritize helping family members

Careful there...the US values helping family members too.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.