elmcitymaven

Cr*ppy birthday to me

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes (and the drink in my honour, LisaD!). We ended up going out for a Thai meal (mmmmmm) with deep-fried ice cream at the end. I now feel like I should have worn my elasticated trousers! :blush:

The garage got back to me and said they'd bring the car round tomorrow while I'm at work, so all is muuuuuuch better. If a little dyspeptic (*hic*). :P

Glad it all turned out right in the end...the deep fried ice cream's gotta help too. :P

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes (and the drink in my honour, LisaD!). We ended up going out for a Thai meal (mmmmmm) with deep-fried ice cream at the end. I now feel like I should have worn my elasticated trousers! :blush:

The garage got back to me and said they'd bring the car round tomorrow while I'm at work, so all is muuuuuuch better. If a little dyspeptic (*hic*). :P

Glad it all turned out right in the end...the deep fried ice cream's gotta help too. :P

You know, to be quite honest, I've never actually tried deep fried ice cream!

K-1 visa issued: 12/15/2006

107 days from mailing AOS package to receiving green card! Received 6/27/07 dated 6/20/07

Removing conditions:

mailed 5/22/2009

Recieved at CSC 5/23/2009

Check cashed 5/27/09

NOA date 5/26/09 - still not received

I-551 stamp in passport 6/19/09

Biometrics notice date 6/16/09

Biometrics received 6/20/09

Biometrics apt date 7/9/09

Biometrics cancellation notice 6/27/09

Biometrics apt notice date 6/26 recieved 7/7

Biometrics apt 7/22/09

Touch 7/22/09

Finally able to see online info 7/22/09

Card production email 8/19/09 date ordered 8/18

Recieved approval letter in mail 8/19/09 date 8/13!

Touch 8/19

Email stating approval notice sent 8/24/09

Green card in hand!! 8/24/09

Husband joined army and moved from San Diego to Ft. Benning GA! 8/30/11

Filed N400 based on 5 years of residency 9/12/12

Recieved email notifcation recieved package 9/19/12

Biometrics 10/22/12

Early Biometrics 10/04/12

In line for interview 10/8/12 for 8 days

Interview 11/20/12 PASSED!

Happy Birthday!! :whistle: I'll whistle Happy Birthday to you. If you got ice cream, all is well that ends well, right?

Our Visa Journey

2/13 - I-129F sent to TSC

7/31 - K1 - APPROVED

8/5 - POE @ Dallas/Ft. Worth

8/11 - Wedding!!

10/15 - received Greencard

Got 10-year Greencard

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You know, to be quite honest, I've never actually tried deep fried ice cream!

I never tried it until I came over here (imagine that! :lol: ). Mexican restaurants have it as a dessert and it isn't bad. Tastes very similar to clotted cream ice cream, it has that heavy texture. I quite like it, but couldn't eat too much of it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Happy Birthday ElmCityMaven!!!!!! Sorry to hear about the car, but since you're both home and have no wheels, make the most of it! Have a nice birthday shag and release that tension!!!! :lol:

Hee hee! Thanks! Great idea... :innocent:

Off to get some ice cream soon as a birthday treat -- maybe that'll cool my temper. There's a great Italian ice cream place near Hampstead Heath and I think I can hear them calling me...elm...elm...come and eat your weight in ice cream... :P

hmmmm.... ice cream vs. shagging..... that's a toughie....

I'd go for the ice cream and then work off the calories ;)

i'm sure an inventive mind could come up with a way to do both at the same time :devil:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline
Well whoop-de-doo, it's my birthday. We both arranged to work from home today, partly so we could be together, partly so we could pick up George (our Morris Minor) from the garage where it's been living for a while, getting a new clutch. The guys at the garage said it would be ready Thursday. Come Thursday, that changed to Friday. Come Friday, that changed to Monday night. Monday night, I was promised, PROMISED!, it would be ready by 11am today. And...

No car! This is so effing awful being tugged around again and again. We really need to have it by Saturday morning so we can pick up a bunch of boxes, and we can't take another day out to work from home.

Oh, and now I'm a year older. Great. :ranting:

Crappy b-days are the worst! On my b-day in 2003, my cat was run over and killed. Sucked!

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

HA -- that's awful!

Deep fried ice cream is nummy but I can't eat very much of it -- too rich!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_ice_cream

Ohhhh yeah.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Well whoop-de-doo, it's my birthday. We both arranged to work from home today, partly so we could be together, partly so we could pick up George (our Morris Minor) from the garage where it's been living for a while, getting a new clutch. The guys at the garage said it would be ready Thursday. Come Thursday, that changed to Friday. Come Friday, that changed to Monday night. Monday night, I was promised, PROMISED!, it would be ready by 11am today. And...

No car! This is so effing awful being tugged around again and again. We really need to have it by Saturday morning so we can pick up a bunch of boxes, and we can't take another day out to work from home.

Oh, and now I'm a year older. Great. :ranting:

Crappy b-days are the worst! On my b-day in 2003, my cat was run over and killed. Sucked!

That sucks! But as a funny aside. Dan and I were visiting the parents, and on the way home from going somewhere we saw dead kitty in the road in front of our house. My Dad went and got gloves and all, got the kitty, buried it in the back yard. We were all upset about it. In a couple of days, my mother called..."guess what I just saw in the back yard? Our cat!!" Apparently we buried someone else's dead kitty. Looked like ours and everything.

Our Visa Journey

2/13 - I-129F sent to TSC

7/31 - K1 - APPROVED

8/5 - POE @ Dallas/Ft. Worth

8/11 - Wedding!!

10/15 - received Greencard

Got 10-year Greencard

Well, George (the Morris Minor) came home AT LAST on Friday afternoon. His clutch is fine but they messed up something with the accelerator cable (according to my gearhead hubby) so it is acting a little weird. But he is home and we took him for a nice wash, wax and hoover so he looks spiffing. Although I don't have a photo from yesterday, here's one of him looking similarly dreamy. Sigh...I am going to miss this car!

afterig4.th.jpg

Well, George (the Morris Minor) came home AT LAST on Friday afternoon. His clutch is fine but they messed up something with the accelerator cable (according to my gearhead hubby) so it is acting a little weird. But he is home and we took him for a nice wash, wax and hoover so he looks spiffing. Although I don't have a photo from yesterday, here's one of him looking similarly dreamy. Sigh...I am going to miss this car!

afterig4.th.jpg

I love Morris Minors! Why don't you bring it with you?????

Unfortunately Georgie will not be coming with us as we will be bringing two other British cars with us -- a 1971 Triumph Spitfire named Bernard and a 1981 (I think) MGB GT LE named, uh, Ellie (get it? Not my choice... :P ).

We have toyed with the idea of bringing George over as Minors are a rare commodity in the States. But George has a higher purpose -- all proceeds from his sale are going to fund our moving expenses. He really is a joy to drive, so nippy in town, which really surprises other motorists, especially boy racers. The see a Minor and they think, "Great, some blue-hair in a junky old car" and then BOOM we are away at the lights, leaving them in the dust. Ahahahaha! :lol:

Bruce is an amazing (and very safe) driver, and knows how to coax the best out of a vintage car. The Morris gets ridiculously good mileage -- something like 30-35mpg. And he only cost £150! Okay, so the clutch cost £290 all in and the pre-MOT work cost another £150, but still he is a real little charmer. :luv:

Unfortunately Georgie will not be coming with us as we will be bringing two other British cars with us -- a 1971 Triumph Spitfire named Bernard and a 1981 (I think) MGB GT LE named, uh, Ellie (get it? Not my choice... :P ).

We have toyed with the idea of bringing George over as Minors are a rare commodity in the States. But George has a higher purpose -- all proceeds from his sale are going to fund our moving expenses. He really is a joy to drive, so nippy in town, which really surprises other motorists, especially boy racers. The see a Minor and they think, "Great, some blue-hair in a junky old car" and then BOOM we are away at the lights, leaving them in the dust. Ahahahaha! :lol:

Bruce is an amazing (and very safe) driver, and knows how to coax the best out of a vintage car. The Morris gets ridiculously good mileage -- something like 30-35mpg. And he only cost £150! Okay, so the clutch cost £290 all in and the pre-MOT work cost another £150, but still he is a real little charmer. :luv:

Well hell, if we'd known ahead of time you were selling a Morris Minor we might have taken it off your hands and arranged to ship it! As it is we don't have enough time. Oh well. We could always get one in the future I suppose!

I would seriously consider getting one if your husband comes back for a trip. No point in getting one in the States -- they are stupid expensive. The beauty of a Morris is that it is so easily maintained and fixed -- if we had been able to trailer the car down to Kent Bruce could have done the clutch himself at his parents' house.

A nice example will, of course, set you back £1500+, but if it runs and looks a bit tatty (like George, who was completely oxidised and has lots of bondo'd patches) we're talking £500-750. We've seen absolute wrecks go on US Ebay in the thousands (USD$). They're also an incredible talking point -- who else would you know who has ever driven one in the US? For that reason, we're also considering bringing over his Triumph Dolomite -- only a handful in America.

Thanks for the offer to take George off our hands if you could have! George has a few more trips to take -- down to Dover at least once, up to Norfolk and over to Gloucestershire to see family before we go.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Aww, what a shame to leave the Morris behind. My stepdad used to have one when I was a kid.

I live on the Isle of man now, and have for almost 6 years, im from North London originally. Where in North London are you from Elm?

Dawn.

Dawny(UK) and Tommy(South Carolina) The Journey Begins!!

- January 17, 2007 - Sent I-129F

- January 23, 2007 - I-129F received at TSC!

- January 30, 2007 - NOA1 sent!

- February 1, 2007 - Touched!

- February 2, 2007 - Cheque cashed by CSC!

- February 5, 2007 - Tommy received NOA1 (Hard copy!) Yay!

- April 5, 2007 - Tommy is coming to me for 12 days yay!! :)

- Impatiently waiting!

- April 27, 2007 - NOA2!! :)

- April 28, 2007 - Touched, oh my!

- May 11, 2007 - NVC receives our stuffs :)

- May 15, 2007 - NVC Sends our stuffs to London, yay! :)

- May 29, 2007 - Packet 3 received.

- June 7 , 2007 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

- July 11, 2007 - Received Packet 4.

- August 16, 2007 - Interview at 10AM :)

- March 19, 2008 - Court allows permission to take my daughter to live in the US! :)

- March 31, 2008 - Sent Passports and documents to the Embassy. Waiting for Visas...

- April 10, 2008 - Visas in hand!!! Omgosh!!

- June 23, 2008 - Going home to my man, finally :) POE (ATL)

- 08-08-08 - Wedding :)

- 08-21-10 - 2 year Green Card received! :)

Aww, what a shame to leave the Morris behind. My stepdad used to have one when I was a kid.

I live on the Isle of man now, and have for almost 6 years, im from North London originally. Where in North London are you from Elm?

Dawn.

I am, as my VJ location thingy says, from Beautiful Upper Holloway! (AKA Archway) I've been pretty peripatetic in the nearly 12 years I've lived here -- lived all over London: Kentish Town, Crystal Palace, Harringay (effing scary! :ph34r: ), Blackheath, down by the Cutty Sark in Greenwich, the Barbican and now here in Archway. I also spent a fantastic year in Bristol in 1997 -- I always wish I could have stayed there instead of coming back to London.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.