adjgiulio

how difficult to reschedule biometrics?

3 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi,

we're about to mail our I-751. We live in Seattle and will be mailing to Nebraska.

We've a one week vacation scheduled for mid August. If, by any chance, we get a biometrics appointment coinciding with our vacation, how easy/difficult would it be to reschedule the biometrics? And, usually, how much time before the appointment do you get the letter?

If we need to reschedule, how do you do that? Just call the local USCIS office or do you have to mail some forms?

Last but not least, are there reasons to believe that it would not be recommended to reschedule a biometrics appointment?

Thanks!

G

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For my 2nd biometrics for my AOS (the first had expired) I had to reschedule - I received the notice December 22- the day before our flight to Houston for Christmas holidays for an appointment December 29th - our return flight was scheduled for the 30th. The biometrics letter had a statement at the bottom about notifying them if you are unable to make that date and need to request another - along with the statement that if you failed to show your case may be considered abandoned. I wrote right on the form itself that we would be in Houston that date returning the following date and requesting the first available appointment after January 1st. I photocopied our flight information (and kept a copy of the notification as well) and included it with it and then put it in an envelope, drove to the actual biometrics office and hand-delivered it rather than risking it getting lost in the mail over the Christmas season. When I got home, I then called the general information number, went through the steps for 'have an appointment' and spoke to an agent who also took down the information and said I should receive a notification for a new appointment within a few weeks. It may have been overkill, but I keep thinking about what would have happened if I had received the notice after we had left for an appointment prior to our return! I wasn't taking any chances. So, yes, it can be done - just make sure you notify them of the fact and the reasons for the request. My new appointment was re-scheduled for February 2 so there wasn't that long of a delay.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
For my 2nd biometrics for my AOS (the first had expired) I had to reschedule - I received the notice December 22- the day before our flight to Houston for Christmas holidays for an appointment December 29th - our return flight was scheduled for the 30th. The biometrics letter had a statement at the bottom about notifying them if you are unable to make that date and need to request another - along with the statement that if you failed to show your case may be considered abandoned. I wrote right on the form itself that we would be in Houston that date returning the following date and requesting the first available appointment after January 1st. I photocopied our flight information (and kept a copy of the notification as well) and included it with it and then put it in an envelope, drove to the actual biometrics office and hand-delivered it rather than risking it getting lost in the mail over the Christmas season. When I got home, I then called the general information number, went through the steps for 'have an appointment' and spoke to an agent who also took down the information and said I should receive a notification for a new appointment within a few weeks. It may have been overkill, but I keep thinking about what would have happened if I had received the notice after we had left for an appointment prior to our return! I wasn't taking any chances. So, yes, it can be done - just make sure you notify them of the fact and the reasons for the request. My new appointment was re-scheduled for February 2 so there wasn't that long of a delay.

I can tell you what my wife and I have done several times now. We have received our biometrics appointment paper. I went online to the INFOPASS link on the USCIS website. I scheduled an appointment BEFORE the appointment on my biometrics letter. And three times, I scheduled the biometrics appointment for a different support center than the one on my appointment letter. It worked every time with no problems. The support center never asked any questions either. I'm not saying you won't have problems doing this, but it worked for us 3 different times in 2 different states.

We got out biometrics appointment about 4 days after the first receipt notice that we got.

Hope that helps.

I-751

APR 19, 2007 I-751 mailed to VSC

MAY 15, 2007 Blue receipt

MAY 24, 2007 NOA (1-year extension notice)

MAY 28, 2007 Biometrics appointment notice

JUN 11, 2007 Biometrics appointment completed

JUN 11, 2007 touched

JUN 12, 2007 touched

JUN 20, 2007 touched (because of change of address, but still within VSC)

OCT 26, 2007 Card Production ordered

NOV 2, 2007 Approval Notice mailed to us

NOV 8, 2007 10-year Card received!!!

N400 Mailed to NSC. Local Field Office: Seattle

APR 9, 2008 N-400 application mailed

April 10, 2008 Priority date

April 14, 2008 check cashed

April 19, 2008 touched

April 21, 2008 Received NOA 1 dated April 16, 2008. Says interview will happen within 248 days.

May 5, 2008. Biometrics completed

Sep 22, 2008. IL received

Nov 18, 2008. Interview. Done!!! Passed!!!

Dec 3, 2008 Oath

Dec 5, 2008 Passport application submitted (with naturalization certificate)

Dec 13, 2008 Naturalization certificate received in the mail

Dec 15, 2008 US passport received in the mail.

Done!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.