mrfer

Can't pay Visa app fees

11 posts in this topic

First - thank you everyone on this forum for all the help throughout years! I've never posted, but I've lurked for years.

Now, my issue:

I'm a LPR filling for my single son under 21. After 2 years, USCIS approved the I-130 and sent it to the NVC. We couldn't choose an agent, the only option was to pay the affidavit of support fee. We did. After paying the fee (and waiting a couple of weeks) I was able to submit all the financial documents. That was done on June 10. It's been about a month and a half.

I'm not able to pay the VI application fee (it's grayed out). Is this normal? I tried calling and they told me I have to keep waiting...but I wanted to double check with people here.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

This is going back 5+ years for me, but I distinctly remember paying the affidavit of support fee and then having to wait to pay the VI application fee. And yes, it was grayed out during this wait. Seems to me it took 2 or 3 weeks before the application fee was un-grayed and we were able to pay the fee online. Good luck.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

13 hours ago, Russ&Caro said:

This is going back 5+ years for me, but I distinctly remember paying the affidavit of support fee and then having to wait to pay the VI application fee. And yes, it was grayed out during this wait. Seems to me it took 2 or 3 weeks before the application fee was un-grayed and we were able to pay the fee online. Good luck.

Thank you. I'm worried because it's already been a month and a half.

CEAC is also not showing a "principal applicant," and I'm not able to add my son as the principal applicant either (I can only add a derivative applicant). I'm guessing this is normal because they got his information from USCIS (?)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
12 minutes ago, mrfer said:

Thank you. I'm worried because it's already been a month and a half.

CEAC is also not showing a "principal applicant," and I'm not able to add my son as the principal applicant either (I can only add a derivative applicant). I'm guessing this is normal because they got his information from USCIS (?)

He is the applicant already He is the one for  whom the Case is created. The info on file  is about him 

Regarding the IV fee ... Call NVC and ask 

Edited by Lil bear

25 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

He is the applicant already He is the one for  whom the Case is created. The info on file  is about him 

Regarding the IV fee ... Call NVC and ask 

I figured so because USCIS sent them his information (and all the notices come to his name)...but now i'm doubting everything lol, so thanks for clarifying.

I'll try giving them a call.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, mrfer said:

I figured so because USCIS sent them his information (and all the notices come to his name)...but now i'm doubting everything lol, so thanks for clarifying.

I'll try giving them a call.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/after-petition-approved/begin-nat-visa-center.html

this is an excellent resource 

1 minute ago, Lil bear said:

I've gone through it a million times...but certain things don't match with my experience, which is why I'm asking here.

I couldn't choose an agent (which is the 1st step there)

I can't pay the IV fee (many are able to pay both the IV and the affidavit of support at the same time).

Timeline
6 minutes ago, mrfer said:

I've gone through it a million times...but certain things don't match with my experience, which is why I'm asking here.

I couldn't choose an agent (which is the 1st step there)

I can't pay the IV fee (many are able to pay both the IV and the affidavit of support at the same time).

In my experience you don’t pay both fees at the same time. The NVC is in charge of opening up the payment link and it comes after the previous step has been reviewed. It can be slow for no good reason. 

Electronic filed cases don’t select an agent now as all communication is done via email. 

Keep asking questions .. we all need to !! 

1 minute ago, Lil bear said:

In my experience you don’t pay both fees at the same time. The NVC is in charge of opening up the payment link and it comes after the previous step has been reviewed. It can be slow for no good reason. 

Electronic filed cases don’t select an agent now as all communication is done via email. 

Great! Thank you for the info!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/25/2019 at 9:19 AM, Lil bear said:

To update everyone on this, this was the issue:

Since my son had turned 21 shortly after the State department received our case from USCIS, he was under an F24 visa class.
We sent an ASKNVC email and explained that he qualified for CSPA. They initially said they needed all paperwork in order to review it. I sent a new ASKNVC explaining we couldn't fill out anything because there wasn't a visa available for F24. They replied saying that yes, he apparently qualified. Visa fee was opened. And 3-4 days after paying it, we're now able to fill out the visa application.

Timeline
1 minute ago, mrfer said:

To update everyone on this, this was the issue:

Since my son had turned 21 shortly after the State department received our case from USCIS, he was under an F24 visa class.
We sent an ASKNVC email and explained that he qualified for CSPA. They initially said they needed all paperwork in order to review it. I sent a new ASKNVC explaining we couldn't fill out anything because there wasn't a visa available for F24. They replied saying that yes, he apparently qualified. Visa fee was opened. And 3-4 days after paying it, we're now able to fill out the visa application.

Glad to hear you got it done ! What a relief ! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.