Timeline
1 minute ago, Tony999 said:

I'm on SSI supplemental security income

Have you thought about relocating there?  Your SSI will go further 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

I was under the impression that you were of the age to collect social security?

he  gets SSI 

that is disability not retirement

Word of advice to OP: You need to reset expectations as to overall cost of the process. As others mentioned, it will be much closer to $10K, if not more, than $3K.

Just the fees themselves will come close to $3K when you factor in each of the following has fees:

• I-129f (K-1 Petition)
  • Medical
  • DS-160 (Non-Immigrant Visa)
  • I-485 (AOS)
  • Removal of Restrictions

That's not even including things such as plane tickets (you will likely need multiple visits to show bonafide nature of your relationship. With a 12 year age gap, low income, and new relationship (I presume you met online through a dating site?), one 2 week visit may not cut it for purposes of passing the interview (others with more experience with Manila may have a better idea here). Also don't forget plane tickets when she comes to the US and additional expenses associated with adding an additional member to your household (e.g., food, rent, clothes, health insurance, car insurance). She will not be able to work for 6 - 8 months upon arrival most likely, so also you'll need to plan for that.

In short, while the actual fees may be only $3K, your total expenses going through the process from filing the K-1 until when she is in the US and able to work are likely in the $10K - $20K range. Unfortunately, this is not a cheap process so best to be aware of everything upfront and plan accordingly.

Good luck!

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
6 hours ago, Tony999 said:

I'm on SSI supplemental security income

Either way you correctly noted that your income is not adequate to meet the guidelines for support.  You will be needing a joint sponsor (which is very common) OR you will need cash assets that will make up for 3x the difference between what you make and your required income to petition for and sponsor her.

I’d (suggest) lining that up before you pursue this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

hate to discourage anyone but i spent over $35,000 on this process over our 6 year journey for the visa

and seriously,   look into what health insurance is going to cost you especially since the 2 of you could still have a child or 2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
10 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Maybe the CR1 Spousal visa is best, but I worry about getting advice, as less people know about that.  

What does that mean?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

11 hours ago, Tony999 said:

First off Thank you to everyone for responding, and this wonderful forum. I will find a way to donate, once I complete this crazy trail.   I know the cost of life here in the US, I know she will not be able to work for many months. The cost of immigration is about 3K or more for us including everything. She's in the Philippines on Mindanao, flights to and from Manila, then the US.  It's the paperwork and that side of things. Who gets what fee, I'm scared of. Because I'm going to have to do my end and tell her how to do her stuff. I would have no chance without your help. Please and thank you for all of your help. I have a bad heart and this has already been very stressful. I guess if we need a sponsor either way. Maybe the CR1 Spousal visa is best, but I worry about getting advice, as less people know about that.  

There are many people here that can give you advice about the CR-1. What you should really do is take a clear look at your life and income and decide if you can truly afford the cost of immigration and then supporting a new immigrant to the US. Not trying to be harsh but this endeavor is not cheap or easy. Good Luck!

Finally done...

I would have loved to have only spent $3000!  When all was said and done with our case, between plane tickets, staying in the DR, fees, etc. I had spent about $32,000.  Having my husband here with our kids and myself, priceless.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm in the process of doing Adjustment of Status for my wife, and so far just on the forms I spent around $3K. Her trips to embassy, medical exam, vaccinations and travel to US was another $3K. So just to get her here was around $6K. And I've done everything by myself, without help from the lawyers. I'm very happy that I found this forum. It's a gold mine for information.
Many times I've been frustrated with un-clearity of the immigration forms, but simple post on this forum helped me gather all the info that I needed very fast.

I thought that gathering documents and filing forms for K-1 visa was hard, but then came AOS process.

So think hard if you can afford to bring her to US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
14 hours ago, Tony999 said:

The cost of immigration is about 3K or more for us including everything.

You have not ever met in person so the trips to meet her and spend some time together will add much more to your estimate. Think of airline tickets, hotels, restaurants....  I made 8 trips from the US to Brazil in our CR-1 visa process, plus one trip to Europe together, and have one final trip to bring my husband to the US for the first time (in four weeks, counting the days).  A total of 10 trips to be together and some of them were more than $3K just for one trip.  Then add the cost of filing the petition, visa fees, medical exam, vaccinations, and all the rest.  I don't even want to add up all that money, the total would be crazy.

Since you have never met this person, and your income is not high enough to sponsor her, you will need a co-sponsor, someone willing to not only fill out forms, but also willing to contribute financially to your household expenses and possibly to help cover the costs of the visa process including travel.  No co-sponsor, no visa.  So I suggest that you go and meet her first, then if after spending as much time as you can with her, you decide to keep pursuing the relationship, come home to the US and find a qualified and willing co-sponsor.  Take this one step at a time and think rationally, logically about it before going further.  Good luck!

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
16 hours ago, Tony999 said:

D

It says 125% for the  I-130 petition, “IR1 / CR1 process”).

I'm on SSI getting 760$ or whatever it is. Is the idea of a  K1 visa really gone for us?  So does that mean we can't do this at all, or what? I've seen something about a sponsor for the I-130 petition, “IR1 / CR1 process.

The 125% requirement also applies after you travel to meet her (ching$), petition for her (ching$), she interviews and applies for a visa (ching$), she arrives (ching$), you get married (ching$), and you file to adjust her status (ching$ ching$).  To adjust her status you have to supply the same affidavit that you would need to sponsor her as your spouse (fewer chings$)

Most efficient:  fly in, get married, return, file the immigrant petition, and bring her over as your spouse.

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
16 hours ago, Tony999 said:

I was going to petition my fiancée for a k1 visa. I've just started reading about it for the past few day. Just now on one website I read for the first time.

"The U.S. citizen partner must meet certain income requirements, earning at least 100% of the federal poverty guidelines when applying for the fiancé visa, and earning 125% of these guidelines when the foreign partner applies for his or her green card."
It says 125% for the  I-130 petition, “IR1 / CR1 process”).

I'm on SSI getting 760$ or whatever it is. Is the idea of a  K1 visa really gone for us?  So does that mean we can't do this at all, or what? I've seen something about a sponsor for the I-130 petition, “IR1 / CR1 process.

I read your fiancee is in the Philippines.   The embassy in Manila is known to look for 125% of the poverty guidelines with the K-1 (Yes I know what is stated on the DOS website)   Besides once you're both in the USA and ready to process for AOS USCIS will required 125% anyway.

Embassy in Manila is not required to accept co-sponsors with the K-1, they do occasionally accept co-sponsors but they look for them to be close family members; parents, siblings.    With the IR/CR-1 spouse visa the embassy is required to accept qualified co-sponsors.    (with that said, the embassy does not always ask for support evidence with the K-1 .. luck of the draw maybe)

Your income must meet the poverty guidelines of the I-864P 

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.