Ash_Koog

Attorneys

38 posts in this topic

OP, do you have any estimation of when you want to get married? Any preliminary time line in your head?

We don't have a specific. timeline. We are planning on a small ceremony a week or so after he gets here. Just us, and my little one. Then having a bigger family one later, after we have had time to save enough money to do so. Probably on our one or two year aniversery. Our biggest thing is being together and never having to be apart again. To have the family, and life we've wanted. As you all know it is tough to be apart from the one you love. the emptiness you feel in your chest when you are lying bed alone. Or you are out with your friends and there significant others. Two of my closest friends are now in long distance realationships and are finally starting to understand the way I feel. though I wouldn't wish this on anyone. lol. sorry went alittle bloggy on you all. anyway thanks for listening. Hope you all are handling it better than I am. :wacko: .

With all due respect, I think you're putting the cart before the horse a bit. I have to agree with Devilette on this one.

You have MANY obstacles in front of you that are going to need sorting before you get to the wedded bliss stage. I'm sorry to say that, but it's the truth. You need to figure out how you're going to deal with the separation, because it's a constant that's not going to change.

Do I get this right that you're still living with your ex? Who's going to get the house? I ask you this because if you have to move, then that's another consideration.

-Divorce

-Your fiance figuring out if his visa is extendable

if not, is he staying in england? and what about work, money, place to stay, etc....let alone money to come to visit you.

-Visit to create evidence

text msgs aren't evidence. You may print out emails, but those are also secondary.

-You need to sort your financial situation

co sponsor or you getting a better paying job

co-sponsor (I believe, please verify) will need to make enough $$ to cover own dependents plus your fiance.

you mentioned no one taking you seriously....will your cosponsor take your relationship seriously enough to put their b@lls on the line?

what plan do you have when your fiance gets here, and possibly can't work? Can you cover all the bills?

You don't need to answer these questions to me, but you should ask them to yourself. This is actually by no means a comprehensive list, just things off the top of my head. It's all romantic and wonderful to be in such an exciting relationship, but something of this magnitude should not be entered into lightly....'love' won't answer these questions, and imo....you will have greater success if you concentrate on sorting these obstacles out instead of focusing on the fact that you're sleeping in an empty bed. Yes, we all know it sucks...you are not alone in that. But you need a plan.

I am handling it better than you are (since you asked)...but the only reason why that is is because I have resigned myself to not rage at things that I cannot control. :( YES it's awful. But this is the path we've chosen, eh? Nowt can be done about it, so I try to keep busy to keep my mind off of it. It doesn't always work, but it's easier when I've got a zillion things to do. Believe me, sometimes I get so down and cry and get upset and all that good stuff, but it does nothing to bring us any closer together.

Seriously, good luck to you.

As to the questions you asked

My ex and I haven’t lived in the same house for 9 months or so. I currently reside at our joint home which I will be awarded in the divorce. So I will not be moving again till this is over.

If they don’t extend his visa his flight home was purchased a year ago. He will go back. Stay with his mom, He can operate most heavy equiptment, including a rig. Finding a job when he gets back shouldn’t be a problem. As to the evidence of meeting. I have posted on the Canada site asking about his logs and have two reponses so far. His log books should sufice. They should be as good as a boarding pass. They are legal documents, and he still has them He is supposed to keep them for 3 years. If he does end up in the UK. Visiting isn’t the most important thing. It is more important for him get here permanently. If we can afford it we will. If not we will state why.

As to the financial situation.

I have read quite a bit on that. If I am reading correctly. I can do it on my own, with my house, and my current income. I only need to come up with the amount I am short if any, and times it by 5 to use an asset or cash. Right now the biggest trick is finding the right number that I need. I already work two jobs but have figured out a way to work 3 if needed. If something happens and I cannot, I am sure someone in my family, will do it. They are a good support system.

I am brand new to this. We are newly engaged. I am doing the best I can. I have been in long distance relationships before. Though not nearly as long. But I am looking at the big picture. That is what a relationship is. It isn't the here and now. Not when you love someone and want to spend the rest of your life together. This isn't exciting, It is tough. Not something I would have chose to do. But I found my soul mate and this is what I must do. Love won't answer these questions you are right. But it is the motivation. The best motivation. Everyone handles things differently. 95% of the time I have a on tough face, I keep busy, Spend time with my little boy, and for the longest time no one knew how I really felt. That deep down I feel like I have a whole in my chest, like something is missing. It helps to think about what we are going to do when he gets here. How things are going to be. What kind of wedding we are going to have. Where it is going to be. WHY WE ARE DOING THIS. Without the daily this will be worth it speech to my self. I don’t know if I could get through the day. I don’t take this lightly, but I play it off. No matter how stressed I am with anything. I can’t let my little one see it. He is only five and doesn’t need to see it.

This is just a hurdle in the rest of our lives. By looking forward I am not saying this isn’t important. But if I don’t focus on why I am doing it, why do it? I am mearly stating it is a step a big one, but a step, to the rest of our lives. When the time comes to focus on those steps I will do what I have to do.

I am currently in the fact finding mode. We aren’t ready to file. We can’t file. We am here to get as much information as we can so that when the time comes, we will be ready. Of coarse things will pop up we didn’t expect, and we can address those at that time, and hopefully there will be someone there to help, someone who had been through the same thing.

I know you said I don’t have to answer these questions to you. But the feeling I got when I read your post was that they way I am dealing with this isn’t correct., or that I am not taking this seriously. Sorry for the long winded reply.

Thank you for your concern and your help . Good luck to you as well.

usa1.gifuk22.gif

I_love_my_husband.gif

AOS Journey

10/12 MARRIED

10/23 hired piece of #%@ attorney

11/12 finally have all the required paper work

11/19 sent all required paperwork to attorney via DHL

12/3 documents correct, signed and sent to attorney via DHL

12/7 packet approved and signed by attorney

12/10 packet mailed certified letter. snail mail.

12/16 packet delivered 8:09 am

12/20 NOA I-797

12/24 Notice of biometrics appointment.

1/10 RFE, F&$%. Need birth certificate for co-sponsor

1/12 Biometrics appointment.

2/14 Birth certificate received at national service center.

3/18 I-131 notice of approval sent

3/21 EAD Approved and Card ordered.

3/21 Notice of Interview Date received

3/27 EAD Card and AP received.

5/23 Interview 7:30am Approved and out of the office by 8:30am

No more USCIS for 1 year and 9 monthes

I am married to a PERMANENT RESIDENT.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
We used an attorney for both my K1 and AOS (I am the UKC). My attorney prepared all the paperwork online and I simply signed forms and returned them to his office. He did all the leg work and compiled all the documents required (we just had to help with photos etc). I had understood from a friend (and I do not know whether this is true or not), that USCIS tend to deal with attorney cases first as they do not want the legal system breathing down their neck if things are delayed. My K1 was issued within 12 weeks of application and my green card was received exactly 8 weeks after I filed for AOS. The K1 and AOS together cost around $1000. It was money very well spent as far as I am concerned, and although I agree that you could easily file your K1 and AOS yourself, it took the worry out of the process for me.

The friend is incorrect. A petition filed with the aid of an attorney goes in THE SAME PILE as everyone else's. Any attorney who implies he/she can get you through faster should not be trusted. The attorney MAY help save you from pitfalls - but so will careful research on your part. And the same delays that befall others - like RFEs - can still befall anyone who uses an attorney.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
We used an attorney for both my K1 and AOS (I am the UKC). My attorney prepared all the paperwork online and I simply signed forms and returned them to his office. He did all the leg work and compiled all the documents required (we just had to help with photos etc). I had understood from a friend (and I do not know whether this is true or not), that USCIS tend to deal with attorney cases first as they do not want the legal system breathing down their neck if things are delayed. My K1 was issued within 12 weeks of application and my green card was received exactly 8 weeks after I filed for AOS. The K1 and AOS together cost around $1000. It was money very well spent as far as I am concerned, and although I agree that you could easily file your K1 and AOS yourself, it took the worry out of the process for me.

The friend is incorrect. A petition filed with the aid of an attorney goes in THE SAME PILE as everyone else's. Any attorney who implies he/she can get you through faster should not be trusted. The attorney MAY help save you from pitfalls - but so will careful research on your part. And the same delays that befall others - like RFEs - can still befall anyone who uses an attorney.

Yup, I'm going to agree here. Britty was lucky, the lawyer wouldn't have been able to speed anything up.

Yup, I'm going to agree here. Britty was lucky, the lawyer wouldn't have been able to speed anything up.

I didn't figure as much, common since says they aren't going to go through every packet to see who is using an attorney, that would cause an even longer processing time for everyone. Thank you all so much for your help.

Have any of you used a complete do it yourself packet form usavisanow.com? I have looked at their site. and the breakdown of what is in the packet. and they seems to have fairly detailed instructions. Again thank you.

I hope to have people as willing to help as y'all have been. (F):)

usa1.gifuk22.gif

I_love_my_husband.gif

AOS Journey

10/12 MARRIED

12/20 NOA I-797

Filed: Timeline
I know you said I don’t have to answer these questions to you. But the feeling I got when I read your post was that they way I am dealing with this isn’t correct., or that I am not taking this seriously. Sorry for the long winded reply.

Thank you for your concern and your help . Good luck to you as well.[/size]

No, you are incorrect, that wasn't my intention. From your posts it seems to me like you have quite a few hurdles to get through, so I was only pointing out things that are very relevant. Since you are in fact finding mode and offered us your scenario, I thought I'd give you my perspective as to what you need to pay special attn to.

As far as the poverty levels, I think you need to verify that information, because I am not familiar with needing a co-sponsor, so from what I hear, if you don't meet the poverty levels, you need someone who can, not just someone to cover the differential between what you can do and what is required. I think the 5x the poverty level is for your total assets ...so if the marital home has equity of 5x the poverty level for 3, then I think you're in the clear. But if you have a large note, and there's not that equity, the house alone won't suffice because it's not technically enough of an asset.

Now I may very well be wrong, so check it out. I'd love for someone with a more definitive answer to weigh in here!

I am curious to see if the DOT logs alone will suffice...forgive me for saying so, but the fact that you didn't snap not one picture of him or one of the two of you seems a little strange to me. Yes, photos are secondary evidence, this is very true. But I can't see how the log alone will be enough. You might need him to come back before you file.

Oh, I read where you said you want to get married as soon as you're divorced, but if you file a K-1 and marry before you get the visa, you have to start over with a K-3 or CR-1 as K-1 is fiance and once you marry, even if you file first and then marry, he will no longer be your fiance, and the petition will be considered abandoned.

Hah, I'm long winded too ;)

Edited by LisaD

Thank you for your concern and your help . Good luck to you as well.[/size]

No, you are incorrect, that wasn't my intention. From your posts it seems to me like you have quite a few hurdles to get through, so I was only pointing out things that are very relevant. Since you are in fact finding mode and offered us your scenario, I thought I'd give you my perspective as to what you need to pay special attn to.

As far as the poverty levels, I think you need to verify that information, because I am not familiar with needing a co-sponsor, so from what I hear, if you don't meet the poverty levels, you need someone who can, not just someone to cover the differential between what you can do and what is required. I think the 5x the poverty level is for your total assets ...so if the marital home has equity of 5x the poverty level for 3, then I think you're in the clear. But if you have a large note, and there's not that equity, the house alone won't suffice because it's not technically enough of an asset.

Now I may very well be wrong, so check it out. I'd love for someone with a more definitive answer to weigh in here!

I am curious to see if the DOT logs alone will suffice...forgive me for saying so, but the fact that you didn't snap not one picture of him or one of the two of you seems a little strange to me. Yes, photos are secondary evidence, this is very true. But I can't see how the log alone will be enough. You might need him to come back before you file.

Oh, I read where you said you want to get married as soon as you're divorced, but if you file a K-1 and marry before you get the visa, you have to start over with a K-3 or CR-1 as K-1 is fiance and once you marry, even if you file first and then marry, he will no longer be your fiance, and the petition will be considered abandoned.

Hah, I'm long winded too ;)

LOL.

Here is the link to another thread which also has a link. to the state.gov site. On how the requirements of what is needed for the afficavitt of support and the asset requirement.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4054

I can see how that would be strange, to not have pictures. but we weren't looking at what we needed to do to get him here at that point in time. I had just got the keys back to my house. 2 days prior to his week long visit, and my ex went though everything in the house basically ransacked it, but didn't take anything but clothes, so we were a bit busy getting the house in order while he was here. Who thinks to take pictures while you are cleaning and painting. anyway. Yes thinking back I would love to have gotten pictures of us, Something to put on my desk at work or carry with me. Instead I have some of him. and he has some of me. He will still be working in Canada and hauling into the states some until July 5th so we will still have a chance to get some pictures. If I have to get in my car. Play hookie from work. and drive a couple hundred miles I will. But again. Pictures are secondary.

Yes. If we didn't know that the K1 was quicker, we would get married shortly after my divorce. that is why we don't really have a timeline for getting married. There is too many other things to worry about. We don't need a special day, we just need to make one day special. All we want is to be a family.

the DOT Log books. confirm border crossing, fueling and mandatory 10 hour stops. I posted in the Canada portal.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry958465

You can look at some of the replies. Not quite what I was looking for but still helpful.

We all have hurdles. I am getting a pretty good idea of what our hurdles will be. I have been doing my homework. With the variables we have I don’t have a choice but to be ready for anything. I will need help along the way, but everyone needs something at some point or another.

I have twice, filled a three ringed binder, with any and all information I can find. I got through it daily. Reading and rereading everything. In the morning after I get ready for work. Before I go to bed, and any spare time I can find during the day. VJ has become my new myspace.com.

[/size]

usa1.gifuk22.gif

I_love_my_husband.gif

AOS Journey

10/12 MARRIED

12/20 NOA I-797

Filed: Other Timeline

Regarding income for the I-134 - print out the form and take a look at the instructions. What does it say? Does it give you a specific 'target' you have to hit? Or does it just state 'sufficient income'?

Regarding income for the I-864 (later on in the process but not much) to make up a shortfall in income, the assets must equal 3 times the shortfall. 5 times was the old requirement. Verifiable cash is preferable to equity in real estate.

You don't need photos to get approved if your other evidence is strong.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.