Ash_Koog

Attorneys

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
People here are just as good as a lawyer, and they're free. A lot of lawyers don't know sh!t about immigration law and all many of them will do is waste your money and make everything take longer.

People on here may know alot about immigration but, regardless of that, what they say is NOT a substitute for qualified legal advice and should never be taken as that either.

VJ members can help, but it is always good to bear in mind that they can be wrong and advice should always be backed up by using the USCIS website and other informative sites.

Sure, but from what she has said she doesn't need a lawyer.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say folks, I think we're getting into dangerous territory when people are advising others to not get lawyers. Sure, VJ is a GREAT reference....but as I always say, we're not a paid help desk. None of us are immi lawyers, and I'm sure there are some very good ones despite the bad stories we hear. There are right answers here as well as wrong ones. The petitioner is responsible for the verification of information should the petitioner decide to do this his/herself.

Caveat emptor...let the buyer beware!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
People here are just as good as a lawyer, and they're free. A lot of lawyers don't know sh!t about immigration law and all many of them will do is waste your money and make everything take longer.

People on here may know alot about immigration but, regardless of that, what they say is NOT a substitute for qualified legal advice and should never be taken as that either.

VJ members can help, but it is always good to bear in mind that they can be wrong and advice should always be backed up by using the USCIS website and other informative sites.

Sure, but from what she has said she doesn't need a lawyer.

I wasn't advising her to get a lawyer, nor advising her not to. I was highlighting part of your previous post where you state that "people here are just as good as a lawyer". The fact is that VJ members should never be thought of as the equivalent of, or substitute for, qualified legal advice.

I have to say folks, I think we're getting into dangerous territory when people are advising others to not get lawyers. Sure, VJ is a GREAT reference....but as I always say, we're not a paid help desk. None of us are immi lawyers, and I'm sure there are some very good ones despite the bad stories we hear. There are right answers here as well as wrong ones. The petitioner is responsible for the verification of information should the petitioner decide to do this his/herself.

Caveat emptor...let the buyer beware!

Exactly! :thumbs:

Photos are 100% NOT A REQUIREMENT for your application. Let's just get that out of the way up front. They can be helpful. They can be valuable. But they are not required.

Now, as for the duration of your relationship - that also does not matter AT THIS STAGE. At the interview, you will face questions about the validity of your relationship. That interview will most likely occur at least 6-7 months from now.

All that matters at this stage is that you both submit hand-signed documents saying that you intend to marry and that you provide evidence that you have met, in person, within the last two years. Photos ARE INSUFFICIENT proof of this meeting. Passport stamps indicating travel to countries in which you were both present at the same time (US, UK, Canada, wherever), boarding passes, tickets, hotel bills, anything like that is the kind of evidence they prefer.

Here is the most common message the USCIS sends when it asks for extra evidence:

evidence of meeting the meneficiary in person within the two-year period preceding the filing of the petiition. The primary evidence may include airline ticket stubs and receipts (that indicate month, day, and year), copies of passport pages taht show the identification page and admission stamps, military order(s), letter from Commanding Officer, or any evidence that will help the USCIS to determine that the petitioner has met the beneficiary within the two years. The secondary evidence may be film dated photographs of the petitioner and the beneficiary together. The following DOES NOT constitue evidence of meeting: disc, videos, emails, letters, phone bills, and greeting cards.

Secondary evidence on its own is meaningless and will not get your application approved. Photos are great to include if you have them, but if you're set to marry and you want to begin this journey - especially if money is a concern - don't hold your entire application because you don't have a photo together. Make the strongest showing through primary evidence. Only if you lack adequate primary evidence should you concern yourself with delaying filing to get photos. And, as noted, pay attention to what IS NOT evidence at all, and don't waste time on it.

We don't have any boarding passes. or hotel reciepts. He rented a car and drove down here. and we stayed at my house. I don't know if they stamped his passport because he has a visa that allows him to cross because he hauls into the states , and the rest of the time he was in his tractor. Does anyone know if his DOT log book could be used in leu of a boarding pass, or does he need to fly here. I don't have a passport yet. as soon as I get mine I hope to get to travel up there with a 5 year old I am not sure I will be able to. I am worried that we might not have the traditional evidence required. Any other suggestions would help. I will be sure to post asking if the DOT log book will suffice. Thank you again.

usa1.gifuk22.gif

I_love_my_husband.gif

AOS Journey

10/12 MARRIED

10/23 hired piece of #%@ attorney

11/12 finally have all the required paper work

11/19 sent all required paperwork to attorney via DHL

12/3 documents correct, signed and sent to attorney via DHL

12/7 packet approved and signed by attorney

12/10 packet mailed certified letter. snail mail.

12/16 packet delivered 8:09 am

12/20 NOA I-797

12/24 Notice of biometrics appointment.

1/10 RFE, F&$%. Need birth certificate for co-sponsor

1/12 Biometrics appointment.

2/14 Birth certificate received at national service center.

3/18 I-131 notice of approval sent

3/21 EAD Approved and Card ordered.

3/21 Notice of Interview Date received

3/27 EAD Card and AP received.

5/23 Interview 7:30am Approved and out of the office by 8:30am

No more USCIS for 1 year and 9 monthes

I am married to a PERMANENT RESIDENT.

I would post on the canadian forum for suggestions. I live close to the border, so I know they dont stamp my passport (if I even bring one, can't forget that soon though :) ) when I go across. See what people living close by did. I'm sure they'll have great suggestions.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

OP, may I ask why not one photo was taken?

I think you two may benefit from another trip...this time documenting things along the way...passport stamps, hotel receipts, etc..

Yes, piccies are secondary evidence, but it seems to me you're going to be struggling with primary evidence as well.

I think you two may benefit from another trip...this time documenting things along the way...passport stamps, hotel receipts, etc..

Yes, piccies are secondary evidence, but it seems to me you're going to be struggling with primary evidence as well.

We haven't really done anything. we have spent most of our time at home with my little one. when he came down for a week he painted my kitchen. we watched alot of movies played with my littleone. basically spent time at home. there aren't many touristy things in the podunk town of cheyenne, wyoming this time of year so we didn't think to take any pictures.

As to the primary he might be flying home to spend time with his dad. and then flying back here. So i am sure they will stamp his passport at that time. and we will get a hotel in both our names at that time.

usa1.gifuk22.gif

I_love_my_husband.gif

AOS Journey

10/12 MARRIED

12/20 NOA I-797

I would post on the canadian forum for suggestions. I live close to the border, so I know they dont stamp my passport (if I even bring one, can't forget that soon though :) ) when I go across. See what people living close by did. I'm sure they'll have great suggestions.

Thank you. As soon as I figure out how to do that. I will. LOL.

usa1.gifuk22.gif

I_love_my_husband.gif

AOS Journey

10/12 MARRIED

12/20 NOA I-797

We haven't really done anything. we have spent most of our time at home with my little one. when he came down for a week he painted my kitchen. we watched alot of movies played with my littleone. basically spent time at home. there aren't many touristy things in the podunk town of cheyenne, wyoming this time of year so we didn't think to take any pictures.

As to the primary he might be flying home to spend time with his dad. and then flying back here. So i am sure they will stamp his passport at that time. and we will get a hotel in both our names at that time.

The only thing I can see where you might have a problem is that if he is booking a return ticket from the US, he might be having problems when he tries to come back, since you must provide proof of onward travel.

The only thing I can see where you might have a problem is that if he is booking a return ticket from the US, he might be having problems when he tries to come back, since you must provide proof of onward travel.

We haven't filed anything with USCIS yet. because we won't know where he will be and I am still legally married.

He applied to extend his visa in Canada, but we haven't heard anything yet. We don't know if he has been approved and he just hasn't got the letter or if it hasn't come through yet but his current visa runs out on the 5th of July. I am sure he will have something saying he is goin "here" after his stay here. If it is a statement saying he is returning to work in Canada, or a return flight to the UK. I will ask him to make sure he has something. We currently seem to be flying by the seat of our pants because there are so many unknowns for us right now.

usa1.gifuk22.gif

I_love_my_husband.gif

AOS Journey

10/12 MARRIED

12/20 NOA I-797

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=93 Here's the link to the canada forum. Hope they can help you out with evidence. We dont like photos either and had to specifically take some after I figured out what we needed to do for the K1

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

OP, do you have any estimation of when you want to get married? Any preliminary time line in your head?

We don't have a specific. timeline. We are planning on a small ceremony a week or so after he gets here. Just us, and my little one. Then having a bigger family one later, after we have had time to save enough money to do so. Probably on our one or two year aniversery. Our biggest thing is being together and never having to be apart again. To have the family, and life we've wanted. As you all know it is tough to be apart from the one you love. the emptiness you feel in your chest when you are lying bed alone. Or you are out with your friends and there significant others. Two of my closest friends are now in long distance realationships and are finally starting to understand the way I feel. though I wouldn't wish this on anyone. lol. sorry went alittle bloggy on you all. anyway thanks for listening. Hope you all are handling it better than I am. :wacko: .

usa1.gifuk22.gif

I_love_my_husband.gif

AOS Journey

10/12 MARRIED

12/20 NOA I-797

OP, do you have any estimation of when you want to get married? Any preliminary time line in your head?

We don't have a specific. timeline. We are planning on a small ceremony a week or so after he gets here. Just us, and my little one. Then having a bigger family one later, after we have had time to save enough money to do so. Probably on our one or two year aniversery. Our biggest thing is being together and never having to be apart again. To have the family, and life we've wanted. As you all know it is tough to be apart from the one you love. the emptiness you feel in your chest when you are lying bed alone. Or you are out with your friends and there significant others. Two of my closest friends are now in long distance realationships and are finally starting to understand the way I feel. though I wouldn't wish this on anyone. lol. sorry went alittle bloggy on you all. anyway thanks for listening. Hope you all are handling it better than I am. :wacko: .

With all due respect, I think you're putting the cart before the horse a bit. I have to agree with Devilette on this one.

You have MANY obstacles in front of you that are going to need sorting before you get to the wedded bliss stage. I'm sorry to say that, but it's the truth. You need to figure out how you're going to deal with the separation, because it's a constant that's not going to change.

Do I get this right that you're still living with your ex? Who's going to get the house? I ask you this because if you have to move, then that's another consideration.

-Divorce

-Your fiance figuring out if his visa is extendable

if not, is he staying in england? and what about work, money, place to stay, etc....let alone money to come to visit you.

-Visit to create evidence

text msgs aren't evidence. You may print out emails, but those are also secondary.

-You need to sort your financial situation

co sponsor or you getting a better paying job

co-sponsor (I believe, please verify) will need to make enough $$ to cover own dependents plus your fiance.

you mentioned no one taking you seriously....will your cosponsor take your relationship seriously enough to put their b@lls on the line?

what plan do you have when your fiance gets here, and possibly can't work? Can you cover all the bills?

You don't need to answer these questions to me, but you should ask them to yourself. This is actually by no means a comprehensive list, just things off the top of my head. It's all romantic and wonderful to be in such an exciting relationship, but something of this magnitude should not be entered into lightly....'love' won't answer these questions, and imo....you will have greater success if you concentrate on sorting these obstacles out instead of focusing on the fact that you're sleeping in an empty bed. Yes, we all know it sucks...you are not alone in that. But you need a plan.

I am handling it better than you are (since you asked)...but the only reason why that is is because I have resigned myself to not rage at things that I cannot control. :( YES it's awful. But this is the path we've chosen, eh? Nowt can be done about it, so I try to keep busy to keep my mind off of it. It doesn't always work, but it's easier when I've got a zillion things to do. Believe me, sometimes I get so down and cry and get upset and all that good stuff, but it does nothing to bring us any closer together.

Seriously, good luck to you.

Edited by LisaD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.