ediali09

For those who get GC before SSN and/or EAD...

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Context: K1 visa holder, entered the US, got married, sent in my AOS package (to get Green card and/or EAD card). Biometrics done. Then, before I heard anything about my EAD and SSN card, I got my GC interview. Went well. Got my green card. I was wondering where and when I will get my SSN. A friend told me she went to the SSA office to apply for it after getting her GC in the mail. So, I went to the SSA with the SS-5 form, my passport, my GC and a copy of my I-94. Posting this as I only found 1-2 related entries about this matter and I believe they gave conflicting info + were a few years old.

The whole process took 4 minutes and I was given a piece of paper that said I would get my SSN card in 2 weeks. 

My exchange with the officer (99% verbatim): 

Me: I filed for Adjustment of Status a few months ago and now I have my green card. However, even though I filed for an SSN through the form for employment authorisation, I never got it. 

Officer: Can I have your passport and green card?

*After looking through it*

Officer: Oh, you entered the country using a K1? Yeah, those [SSN applications] are always denied. 

Me: Why's that?

Officer: They don't know whether you're legit. Yeah, it's super common. 

Me: Oh okay... So here in the SS-5 form it asks whether I had filed for an SSN previously. Do I put yes since I did file for it?

Officer: Yeah.

Literally 5 seconds later (I had already ticked yes on the form):

Officer: Oh, they never even filed that for you.

Me: Should I fill out a new form then?

Officer: Nah, doesn't matter what you write. When you give it to me I'll just shred it anyway. 

Me: 😶

~ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I entered the country I got my SSN within 2 weeks. When I adjusted status I ticked the box on the EAD to get my SSN card reissued since I had lost the one that had been given to me a few months prior (whoops). Like you, the SSN card never came in the mail regardless of what I put on the EAD. Guess it's true what the agent said.

What the officer says is pretty true though. He enters the information into their system, they also do a SAVE-ASVI check on their end and in 4 weeks or so you should get your new card. The form you bring them ends up getting shredded since he's entering it on their computer anyway. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Peot said:

When I entered the country I got my SSN within 2 weeks. When I adjusted status I ticked the box on the EAD to get my SSN card reissued since I had lost the one that had been given to me a few months prior (whoops). Like you, the SSN card never came in the mail regardless of what I put on the EAD. Guess it's true what the agent said.

What the officer says is pretty true though. He enters the information into their system, they also do a SAVE-ASVI check on their end and in 4 weeks or so you should get your new card. The form you bring them ends up getting shredded since he's entering it on their computer anyway. 

4 weeks! I really hope it's 2 weeks like he said, but I know such things can take time (government, am I right?). 

Yeah, I know it gets shredded anyway but the way he said it was comical. The whole nonchalant-eh-do-it-or-don't-why-even-bother attitude. Made my Monday. 

~ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, toocold said:

4 weeks! I really hope it's 2 weeks like he said, but I know such things can take time (government, am I right?). 

Yeah, I know it gets shredded anyway but the way he said it was comical. The whole nonchalant-eh-do-it-or-don't-why-even-bother attitude. Made my Monday. 

haha yeah I agree the way he said it was definitely not very friendly! 

I got my SSN card in 2 weeks, and 2 weeks is about normal for Americans but because of the SAVE-ASVI check they have to do on immigrants, expect it can take up to 4 weeks. You might be lucky and get it sooner like I did. 👍

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
On 6/24/2019 at 2:40 PM, toocold said:

Context: K1 visa holder, entered the US, got married, sent in my AOS package (to get Green card and/or EAD card). Biometrics done. Then, before I heard anything about my EAD and SSN card, I got my GC interview. Went well. Got my green card. I was wondering where and when I will get my SSN. A friend told me she went to the SSA office to apply for it after getting her GC in the mail. So, I went to the SSA with the SS-5 form, my passport, my GC and a copy of my I-94. Posting this as I only found 1-2 related entries about this matter and I believe they gave conflicting info + were a few years old.

The whole process took 4 minutes and I was given a piece of paper that said I would get my SSN card in 2 weeks. 

My exchange with the officer (99% verbatim): 

Me: I filed for Adjustment of Status a few months ago and now I have my green card. However, even though I filed for an SSN through the form for employment authorisation, I never got it. 

Officer: Can I have your passport and green card?

*After looking through it*

Officer: Oh, you entered the country using a K1? Yeah, those [SSN applications] are always denied. 

Me: Why's that?

Officer: They don't know whether you're legit. Yeah, it's super common. 

Me: Oh okay... So here in the SS-5 form it asks whether I had filed for an SSN previously. Do I put yes since I did file for it?

Officer: Yeah.

Literally 5 seconds later (I had already ticked yes on the form):

Officer: Oh, they never even filed that for you.

Me: Should I fill out a new form then?

Officer: Nah, doesn't matter what you write. When you give it to me I'll just shred it anyway. 

Me: 😶

So lucky you got it so quickly! Do you know why yours got processed so quick?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.