Aitara

APPROVED, ALREADY IN USA BUT FIANCE BROKE UP

68 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Biffa said:

Try and find this man while you are here and try to reconcile. I can imagine you don’t want to live in a different country to the father of your child. Try reconcile with this man and ask him to be reasonable with the situation (both of you) created! 

It will be difficult for you to claim child support from a different country. I am guessing you hopped on the flight because you thought there was still hope. Give it a good shot atleast so when you fly back to your home country you know you tired and that one day you can tell your child you tried your best when you have to explain this situation in the years to come.  

I agree, but if he has essentially gone off the grid and is not responding or contacting her, this could potentially get her into trouble.  It’s unfortunate as he should be taking responsibility for the baby and for her, since he completed the petition process.  

It’s one of the scariest pitfalls of the K1 is the intending immigrant leaves their job, home, and life for the US and is wholly dependent on the USC marrying them and filing for adjustment, which, they can change their mind at any time, leaving that person stranded in an unfamiliar country trying to go back home and pick up the pieces.  Unusual?  Hopefully, but I’ve read a few stories on here.  (One where the USC decided he was scared of divorce and losing his assets so didn’t want to marry and file the affidavit of support, but wanted to keep his foreign fiancée here.  Like, give me a break.)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Cryssiekins said:

I agree, but if he has essentially gone off the grid and is not responding or contacting her, this could potentially get her into trouble.  It’s unfortunate as he should be taking responsibility for the baby and for her, since he completed the petition process.  

It’s one of the scariest pitfalls of the K1 is the intending immigrant leaves their job, home, and life for the US and is wholly dependent on the USC marrying them and filing for adjustment, which, they can change their mind at any time, leaving that person stranded in an unfamiliar country trying to go back home and pick up the pieces.  Unusual?  Hopefully, but I’ve read a few stories on here.  (One where the USC decided he was scared of divorce and losing his assets so didn’t want to marry and file the affidavit of support, but wanted to keep his foreign fiancée here.  Like, give me a break.)

Yes, agree, it puts the person immigrating in an even more vulnerable position. Hard enough with K1 not being able to do anything or have any entitlements when you arrive here too!

Sounds like the OP decided to leave their life after the breakup, planning to stay with the "adoptive parents" (still unclear what that means here).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Biffa said:

Yes, agree, it puts the person immigrating in an even more vulnerable position. Hard enough with K1 not being able to do anything or have any entitlements when you arrive here too!

Agree.  In reality, a K-1 holder is only a visitor until he/she has married the petitioner and filed the I-485.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Biffa said:

Well. It seems OP has been back on VJ but has not commented further for clarification.  So nobody really knows what the real story is and we are all just speculating.  Quite a bit of strangeness in this entire scenario.  

I just have a question in my mind. In this case, assume the guy is the father and he is a US citizen and he stayed in the US for 5 years, 2 of which under the age of 14 or whatever the requirements now are, does the baby qualify for CRBA? I can see that the problem is getting the required papers from the father to apply for CRBA (his birth certificate or passport and what not). Can he be sued and be obligated legally to provide those paperwork in order for the kid to be a US citizen, even if the kid will be born outside the US?

Edited by USS_Voyager

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
10 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

I just have a question in my mind. In this case, assume the guy is the father and he is a US citizen and he stayed in the US for 5 years, 2 of which under the age of 14 or whatever the requirements now are, does the baby qualify for CRBA? I can see that the problem is getting the required papers from the father to apply for CRBA (his birth certificate or passport and what not). Can he be sued and be obligated legally to provide those paperwork in order for the kid to be a US citizen, even if the kid will be born outside the US?

It would be possible, now how practical I do not know. If there was enough for a Private Detective, Lawyer, could be done.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Thread reopened. Please stick to answering the OP's question and only the OP's questions. Two post have been removed as they are Off Topic to the OP's question.~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

OP are you trying to get your child adopted? Is the child the us fiancés or is it someone else’s? If it’s someone else’s once he found out he stopped contacting you but you still wanted to go through with the adoption so you came anyway? 

Is the adoption for you? Adult adoption will not allow you to immigrate to the US.

Basically you cannot sue him for braking off the engagement, you cannot enforce the fiancé visa affidavit of support, if you can prove the child is his once it is born then you can apply for child support but this is not equal to supporting you. Fiancé visa holders can only stay if they marry and file for adjustment of status. 

Edited by Illiria

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
7 hours ago, Aitara said:

Hi I just want to ask how I'm going to deal with my situation right now, my fiance stopped contacting me days before my expected flight. But I still got in my flight to USA because I have a ticket already. I'm staying with my soon to be adoptive parents, and they're also Americans. My fiance never bothered contacting me again which is really strange. Although he told my adoptive parents here that he doesn't want to be part of it anymore and his mom wants to void my Visa. I kind of read some part of Affidavit of Support that he/she can be sued if I become a public charge when I finally get in the USA. My parents here are planning to file a report against him for abandoning me, and for getting me pregnant. Do I have rights to do that?

You knew the relationship was over before you went here. Sadly the only thing you can do is return home. Sorry this happened to you and I hope everything works out as well as it can. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
8 hours ago, Aitara said:

My fiance never bothered contacting me again which is really strange. 

That's like what you say at Radioshack when you're buying batteries and they want your personal information. I'd be like, "That was really strange...."

2 hours ago, Elif_and_Greg said:

That's like what you say at Radioshack when you're buying batteries and they want your personal information. I'd be like, "That was really strange...."

Unbelievably, something similar happened to my former co-worker, though both parties were American. His fiancee of almost a year ghosted him. They got engaged and made plans for her to relocate from San Antonio to LA. He gave notice on his apartment and started looking for a job with better benefits -- even told us he was doing this! Then she said she was going to do some seasonal work at a summer camp in the woods of Washington State where there was poor cell coverage... and he never heard from her again. Poor guy. He was able to stay in his apartment but we had already hired his replacement so he had to find a new job. Amazing.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We do not know where the OP is from, might be a case there, used to be in the UK but that was a loooong time ago.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

We do not know where the OP is from, might be a case there, used to be in the UK but that was a loooong time ago.

True. The advice ITT is relative to US laws, but says nothing on their home country's laws.

Although the applicability of any such laws when residing abroad is a huge issue, as is any sort of enforcement even if they did return abroad.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.