Agustin

Can Get Phil. Passport Reissued in U.S. Name? [split topic]

12 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone, 

My question is sort of related to this thread. My wife also did not follow the traditional name change convention that is common in the Philippines once a woman gets married. We went to the Philippine consulate in Los Angeles and registered our marriage, the personnel there were more than happy to register the marriage using my wifes new married name as it is on our marriage license and at the time, on hear EAD/Early Parole card. When it came time to get a new passport the consulate refused to issue it in her married name as we reported to them. They insisted following the traditional naming convention for a married woman as is used in the Philippines. We have traveled to Philippines and had no trouble returning to the US. The only issue was checking in for our flight at the airport in Manila as the counter agent had never seen an EAD card and needed a supervisor to approve my wife to board the flight to the US.

My question, now that my wife has her greencard, is there any possibility of having her passport re-issued in her married US name there in the Philippines since the consulate here in Los Angeles will not do it? It makes no sense to me why the consulate would register our marriage with mifes new name but refuse to issue a passport in that same name. We will be returning in a year again and would like to pursue the name change, if it's even possible. 

Anyone here with first hand experience accomplishing what we want to do?

One more thing, as others who have replied, the name on the airline ticket must match the passport being used. 

Edited by Agustin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The above was split from someone else's thread in the Working & Traveling forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

You, sort of, screwed the pooch when you completed the Report of Marriage.  And the personal at the consulate didn't help you none by allowing the non-traditional name to be used.

I am not quite sure how you can work around this as DFA requires a PSA marriage certificate for changing the name on the passport after marriage.

Only suggestion I have is to talk to any attorney (in the Phils) about filing to change her name.      Her green card is in her non-traditional  married name so she will have to carry a copy of her marriage certificate no matter .. but she can fix that when she completes Naturalization (after 3 years as an LPR) - at that time she could change her name to the traditional naming (for free)

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sorry for resurrecting this topic but I'm curious, what is the 'proper' name that should be usedin the marriage certificate  after marriage and the report of marriage?

Example I got this Filipino name in the BC:

First Name: Theresa Mae

Middle (mother's maiden last name): Sanchez

Last Name: Chan

Married to a: Smith

So in the Marriage certificate, should I put:

Theresa Mae Sanchez Smith

Or

Theresa Mae Chan Smith

Also, can I ditch the middle name and change it to an abbreviation  instead like

Theresa Mae Smith 

or

Theresa Mae Smith

*bold being the middle name

****Also I'm planning  to change my First name and middle name during naturalization in the future because I really do NOT like having a surname as a middle name.... but for now, I'm talking about which is the least hassle way to do it.

thank you!!!

Edited by PupperPup
Formatting + additional deets

Timeline
3 hours ago, PupperPup said:

Sorry for resurrecting this topic but I'm curious, what is the 'proper' name that should be usedin the marriage certificate  after marriage and the report of marriage?

Example I got this Filipino name in the BC:

First Name: Theresa Mae

Middle (mother's maiden last name): Sanchez

Last Name: Chan

Married to a: Smith

So in the Marriage certificate, should I put:

Theresa Mae Sanchez Smith

Or

Theresa Mae Chan Smith

Also, can I ditch the middle name and change it to an abbreviation  instead like

Theresa Mae Smith 

or

Theresa Mae Smith

*bold being the middle name

****Also I'm planning  to change my First name and middle name during naturalization in the future because I really do NOT like having a surname as a middle name.... but for now, I'm talking about which is the least hassle way to do it.

thank you!!!

If you do not want issues with the Philippines (ROM, passport renewal in married name, etc)  -  Theresa Mae Chan Smith    No initials

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
5 hours ago, Hank_ said:

If you do not want issues with the Philippines (ROM, passport renewal in married name, etc)  -  Theresa Mae Chan Smith    No initials

Thank you, Hank!

So it would be okay if i changed my Middle Name and the middle name on my birth certificate is different? Would the government agencies accept the marriage certificate as a proof of name change? (Context: i'm reading about getting a driver's license in ND and I need my Passport with i-94 but I would need to show proof of name change if it's different from my Passport.)

I'm asking because ND doesn't have a lot of immigrants and might not be familiar with the Philippine's "middle name" thing. Is the US not that strict when it comes to middle name inconsistencies. Thank you and sorry for being confusing.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, PupperPup said:

Thank you, Hank!

So it would be okay if i changed my Middle Name and the middle name on my birth certificate is different? Would the government agencies accept the marriage certificate as a proof of name change? (Context: i'm reading about getting a driver's license in ND and I need my Passport with i-94 but I would need to show proof of name change if it's different from my Passport.)

I'm asking because ND doesn't have a lot of immigrants and might not be familiar with the Philippine's "middle name" thing. Is the US not that strict when it comes to middle name inconsistencies. Thank you and sorry for being confusing.

US is not strict about names 

YMMV

Timeline
1 hour ago, PupperPup said:

Thank you, Hank!

For anything Philippines related use traditional name format - ROM, DFA (passport renewal in married name)    If you try to use a different naming format they will not accept it.

For documents in the U.S. there are not so many rules.  ;)     All states allow for last name change upon marriage, middle name is a different story.   But all states will accept the name as shown on the green card ... DO process the I-485 in your traditional married name if that is what you decide to use.   USCIS can be hit and miss in regards to allowing the middle name change, my wife did not have any issues.   

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

For anything Philippines related use traditional name format - ROM, DFA (passport renewal in married name)    If you try to use a different naming format they will not accept it.

For documents in the U.S. there are not so many rules.  ;)     All states allow for last name change upon marriage, middle name is a different story.   But all states will accept the name as shown on the green card ... DO process the I-485 in your traditional married name if that is what you decide to use.   USCIS can be hit and miss in regards to allowing the middle name change, my wife did not have any issues.   

Thank you so much!!! I don't know what I'd do without this forum tbh 😁

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

My ex changed all three names and the uscis didn't blink 

YMMV

1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

USCIS can be hit and miss in regards to allowing the middle name change, my wife did not have any issues.   

We found that to be true.  While some reported that USCIS allowed the Philippine convention, USCIS would not allow my wife to do so. They made her use the middle name on her birth certificate and told her change it when she became a citizen.  For now, she has a mismatch between her GC and her passport.

Edited by Talako

Finally done.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.