N-o-l-a

That Itch You Can't Rant About (The Rant Thread)

2,974 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, SAT said:

If I can't call my employee to say something like, "hey where's this case file?", or "hey do you have this set of car keys?".  Then that employee is useless to me. 

You guys are misinformed about the real world. 

That's an entirely different thing and job though.  Your employees know this is expected of them.  It's not a typical job either.   They take care of expensive equipment and are paid well to be on call 24/7. 

Ive never had an issue with group text "hey reminder we have meeting on such and such date."

Or

"If anyone can pick up this on call shift please do"

Or personal text

Hey wheres this thing?

Can you work? Etc..

I can say yes or no to those and yes Im expected to respond. But that's part of my jobs too.

Regardless, despite coming in whenever i was called, picking up special shifts and not getting paid more, i was still let go. So being available doesn't necessarily work in your favor either.

But as far as I understand that's not Nola's complaint? Or maybe it is and im not understanding.  As i took it, her job was on call for X number of days.  She has no intention of picking up more shifts, and has said, I don't want more so please don't ask me. When she's not on call she's off and doesn't have to answer her phone nor pick up a shift.  It would be prudent to call your boss if they call you of course. If it's important enough for someone to call you then you should if they left a message. If its important and you choose to text, say so. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

One thing that I learned from working in large organizations is that the evaluation system works great in a small business too, and it's one of the things that I incorporated here. I can't remember off hand, but I think there's 12 areas of evaluation, and subcategories A and B. 

When we go back to read these, you'd be surprised at how many things we forgot about. Everything counts towards what kind of a person I have working for me. 

We have both salary and wage earners. They're very responsible people for the most part. I can call them up to ask if they have a set of keys, or do they know anyone that sells Toyotas, or I can ask them to do something for work. This is a mutual understanding from the time of their employment. Law or not, you absolutely have to communicate with your place of employment. And if someone is gonna be "#######-for-tat", I can be that way too. It's not how it works. It's called courtesy. It has always been that way, except in today's advanced world, it's a lot easier. That's just the way it is. 

Don't expect me to be your Facebook friend, but you won't pick up a call from me. Or, what if someone finds your wallet, and returned it to your place of work? Would you pick up a call then? 

And honestly, do you think any of us is irreplaceable? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 hour ago, SAT said:

If I can't call my employee to say something like, "hey where's this case file?", or "hey do you have this set of car keys?".  Then that employee is useless to me. 

You guys are misinformed about the real world. 

Well enough informed. I've seen how it plays out in my mother's field. If I had her salary/benefits and flexible work schedule, I'd be fine with replying in off hours too. But, they would have never asked her to reply to the kind of mundane things I have to. It is one thing to need to do a dose calculation for a patient who is about to be treated, it is another to be talking about pen colors....

31 minutes ago, NikLR said:

That's an entirely different thing and job though.  Your employees know this is expected of them.  It's not a typical job either.   They take care of expensive equipment and are paid well to be on call 24/7. 

Ive never had an issue with group text "hey reminder we have meeting on such and such date."

Or

"If anyone can pick up this on call shift please do"

Or personal text

Hey wheres this thing?

Can you work? Etc..

I can say yes or no to those and yes Im expected to respond. But that's part of my jobs too.

Regardless, despite coming in whenever i was called, picking up special shifts and not getting paid more, i was still let go. So being available doesn't necessarily work in your favor either.

But as far as I understand that's not Nola's complaint? Or maybe it is and im not understanding.  As i took it, her job was on call for X number of days.  She has no intention of picking up more shifts, and has said, I don't want more so please don't ask me. When she's not on call she's off and doesn't have to answer her phone nor pick up a shift.  It would be prudent to call your boss if they call you of course. If it's important enough for someone to call you then you should if they left a message. If its important and you choose to text, say so. 

I have no problem answering a text or call from work of the nature of "can you work 2 hours early today?" or "have you seen a part to the equipment that is missing and you were the last person to use it". I've done it and I almost always respond quickly.

The issue is constant group text/emails sent to flex/PRN employees of the nature of "how dare you use the wrong color pen to correct one word on this report", "you got one letter wrong in employee's name", "you guys need to pick up more shifts" with photographic evidence, etc, etc, all expecting a response on non-paid time.

Then, like "you did the follow things wrong with XXX on that run". Now here is the bigger problem - I didn't do those things wrong. It is also completely outside my scope of practice to interpret XXX. Which is why I transmitted it to a doctor in the field. Doctor didn't tell me to retake the thing, but I'm still getting an email on my off day about how I did it wrong, always wrong.  

Which leads to the reason why I've had enough. Any reply that explains what happened, asking for tips for improvement, or no reply is met with passive aggression. If it isn't groveling, it isn't acceptable, and I'm not going to bend knee if I did nothing wrong. Everything is negative, everything is critical, and nitpicky. This is why you don't have a nurse run our type of service, the cultures are incompatible. 

I'm more fine with this type of stuff if I'm salaried and benefited, which I'm not. I'm more fine with it if I get paid the market rate, but I don't. Like I said, cashier at Target would be a better job.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

"Well enough informed. I've seen how it plays out in my mother's field. If I had her salary/benefits and flexible work schedule, I'd be fine with replying in off hours too"

no one is just gonna hand you this, know what I mean?

Timeline
16 minutes ago, SAT said:

"Well enough informed. I've seen how it plays out in my mother's field. If I had her salary/benefits and flexible work schedule, I'd be fine with replying in off hours too"

no one is just gonna hand you this, know what I mean?

Well, she and I don't have the same degrees, so........

There was a time when someone with my degree could do her job (the 70s/80s/90s), but they now how a bunch of new requirements.  And no, she'd didn't have to work for it. Practically handed it on a platter. Boomers had a lot of luck that way. I get that they are both STEM fields, but with just a BS in her subject, you also can't find work at the moment. 

In all honesty, were it not for current PhD/residency requirements, I could easily do her job. The calculations are simple. 

I just want to be clear - there are other reasons I'm quitting too.  The mismanagement is severe.

Edited by N-o-l-a

3/26/18 Biometrics

Timeline

Don't think I'm making excuses or anything. Besides one job I applied to for kicks and giggles, I've applied to nothing that could utilize my degree, nor was I trying to find career type employment.

My current position was a volunteer one when we moved here. I think it should return to that.

I'll leave it at that.

3/26/18 Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Boomers have had a lot of luck in the job market. I'm on the tail end of that generation and I've been astonished by how many english majors are working highly paid Information Technology jobs today. They picked up all the required knowledge and training associated with coding or architecture or management, on the job. Whenever someone 50 years or older tells me they're an IT architect, it takes a lot of effort to refrain from rolling my eyes. I was talking with an ex-military PM for IBM a few years back when I was still there and we were talking about opportunities within the company. Eventually it came out that he was limited in pursuing some of them because he didn't have a bachelor's degree. IBM had hired him directly from the military 25 years earlier and he escalated within the company to a position where he was advising account executives on IT strategic direction for huge multi-billion dollar customers. So yeah, many boomers didn't even need a degree to rise high and fast within the corporate world.

On the topic of going that extra mile at work, don't forget the size of the organization is a factor. I've worked for a couple of 10 to 20 person organizations. Most everyone would go the extra mile. Once you get to 50 employees and beyond, though, management shouldn't be expecting 110% from people unless they're on salary & benefits or the employees have some other direct incentive to do so.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Russ&Caro said:

Boomers have had a lot of luck in the job market. I'm on the tail end of that generation and I've been astonished by how many english majors are working highly paid Information Technology jobs today. They picked up all the required knowledge and training associated with coding or architecture or management, on the job. Whenever someone 50 years or older tells me they're an IT architect, it takes a lot of effort to refrain from rolling my eyes. I was talking with an ex-military PM for IBM a few years back when I was still there and we were talking about opportunities within the company. Eventually it came out that he was limited in pursuing some of them because he didn't have a bachelor's degree. IBM had hired him directly from the military 25 years earlier and he escalated within the company to a position where he was advising account executives on IT strategic direction for huge multi-billion dollar customers. So yeah, many boomers didn't even need a degree to rise high and fast within the corporate world.

That is like my father, minus the military background. Guy hadn't even finished high school and got IT jobs back then. He has worked for some big corporations, and I think IBM for some time, but don't quote me on that.

My brother on the hand, has a degree in the same field, and can't find work.

3/26/18 Biometrics

I wish id gone into a trade.  I plan in telling my kid to go into a trade if she doesn't have a real job in mind.  We always need electricians, plumbers, painters, cabinet makers... hell i may go learn how to be a painter! ####### not! 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
3 minutes ago, NikLR said:

I wish id gone into a trade.  I plan in telling my kid to go into a trade if she doesn't have a real job in mind.  We always need electricians, plumbers, painters, cabinet makers... hell i may go learn how to be a painter! ####### not! 

Yep!  My mother got super offended when I told her I was going to try and steer my daughter that way if she didn't change the effort level she puts into academics.  Why not spare her the suffering and debt?  With the way CC works here, she could do one year while still in HS for free and then graduate with a decent career a year after - any of the building trades, surg/rad/resp tech, nursing, professional firefighter, mechanic, etc.  

I wish I had done that. Technically what I'm doing now is under that umbrella, but I wish someone had told me to do it when I was 18.  

You definitely aren't too old to go back and do it. They even get new apprentices in their late 30s and into their 40s in the trades.

3/26/18 Biometrics

Timeline

I ordered this kit...

See that little spoon? Scraped the side of my toenail. See that little puller? 

Hooked it to my toe nail and lifted it up off my toe a little. Instant relief! 20 stars!

20190709_193722_zpsnlg3mcph.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just use clippers and dig it out with the metal rile part. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09