N-o-l-a

That Itch You Can't Rant About (The Rant Thread)

2,974 posts in this topic

Then again what the do i know... i cant seem to keep a job now that ive moved here.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
16 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Then again what the do i know... i cant seem to keep a job now that ive moved here.  

I get the feeling that employers don't value employees like they used to. In my opinion, someone who shows up, does their work proficiently, and is of good moral character is someone you should try to keep. 

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

30 minutes ago, N-o-l-a said:

I get the feeling that employers don't value employees like they used to. In my opinion, someone who shows up, does their work proficiently, and is of good moral character is someone you should try to keep. 

In the future I will look at turnover rates. Some places you expect high turnover, but if I see high turnover unnecessarily, (like a small business) there has to be a reason. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

12 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Arrived in Guala to stay at #2 sister's apartment building, modern man.

We noticed hair salon right across street, haircut/color needed by we man.

We asked Mrs. T-B. to accompany us to explain needs & arrange price, ask she we man.

After much make-excusing (fatigue, many business calls, rain would ruin hair), agreement occurred, occur agreement man.

Mrs. T-B. said, ''Can you leave your cane here?  People know me, & I don''t want them to think I'm with an old man,'' say she man.

Our back was OK, so we left cane at base of apartment stairs, leave we man.

Never do that again. Never, ever. 

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline
53 minutes ago, N-o-l-a said:

In my opinion, someone who shows up, does their work proficiently, and is of good moral character is someone you should try to keep. 

In today's ever competitive work force, I'm afraid that's not enough. 

I'm speaking of quality jobs. 

Timeline
38 minutes ago, SAT said:

In today's ever competitive work force, I'm afraid that's not enough. 

I'm speaking of quality jobs. 

What would make you think it is more competitive than in the past? The unemployment rate is quite low right now. 

I'm on the mind that the Danes have some right thinking about this - healthy workers need time off from work, collective bargaining, and good work conditions, no matter what job it is.

What level of stress do you think your employees are under, being available 24/7? 6 figures is not enough to make up for that in NY. It is subsistence. 

3/26/18 Biometrics

Timeline

Do you know how entitled you sound right now? 

I offer a 100k + a year job with full benefits. There's a stack of applications on my desk. 

The average income in NYC is about 50k. 

Record high employment, yes, if you wanna be a chicken plucker. 

I've been working for 40 years. And I've seen the dynamics change. 

In your equation, you're missing loyalty, responsibility, professionalism, dedication, honor, tact, and diligence. And proficiency doesn't cut it, I want excellence. 

Timeline
16 minutes ago, SAT said:

Do you know how entitled you sound right now? 

Perhaps, is my snobbish upbringing showing through?  It so very well meshes with my working class life at the moment.

3/26/18 Biometrics

Timeline

Trophie...a hundred k plus job with 401k and a 30,000 medical and dental plan is an excellent job anywhere. 

Maybe 20-25 % of New Yorkers have such a job. And that's an estimate on the high side. 

No, they don't have to pick up their phone 24/7. But they should be prepared to be met with the same fate when they need me. 

In terms of stress, we're not doing our jobs if we don't have any stress here. 

I never stop anyone from advancing in their career. And when they opt to leave, there's a line of people waiting to replace them. That tells me we offer a great gig. But we're very demanding. That's just the way it is now. 

In comparison, my citi  exec friends, for the last 30 years, they go day to day wondering if they have a job tomorrow. 

The wife half, was let go in the early 2000s. But was hired back when her husband gained some influence. 

I hoping this next job will be the last job i need to be hired for beyond moving up in the company.  Im too old for school and getting tired of starting over.  Some of that is my fault and i take responsibility for my action or inaction causing my current unemployment.  I am at a point where im too qualified for some jobs and underqualified for a great deal more.  It's frustrating but i have only myself to blame.  So i keep trying because if i dont i just will cry.  Which helps no one with this issue. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
1 hour ago, NikLR said:

I hoping this next job will be the last job i need to be hired for beyond moving up in the company.  Im too old for school and getting tired of starting over.  Some of that is my fault and i take responsibility for my action or inaction causing my current unemployment.  I am at a point where im too qualified for some jobs and underqualified for a great deal more.  It's frustrating but i have only myself to blame.  So i keep trying because if i dont i just will cry.  Which helps no one with this issue. 

Are there any relevant or related certifications you can get in the fields that you have worked in? I can certainly understand the idea of not wanting to go back to school for a new degree or anything like that but sometimes obtaining a certification is not all that difficult. For myself, I was stuck in my 40's with an engineering degree and no direct engineering experience and my employment prospects looked pretty dim. But I was able to get a Project Management certification and it really turned things around for me. The PM cert simply required about a month of intensive independent study to pass the exam, although I did have to portray much of my previous work as PM activity in order to qualify for the exam. La Colombiana has a certification in Phlebotomy that she only had to take a 3 month class to get. She's never used it for her job. She's also mentioned getting an EMT cert and some other certs.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

For Nola, i dont think if your contract states that you need to be on call, then you are not.  You are under no obligation, unless in your contract, to pick up extra shifts nor answer your phone or take text messages (unless this was explicitly stated as a method of communication) when not at work. They probably can call you in to talk when you are not scheduled, but you are likely entitled to be on the clock for that conversation, unless youre getting fired. 

6 minutes ago, Russ&Caro said:

Are there any relevant or related certifications you can get in the fields that you have worked in? I can certainly understand the idea of not wanting to go back to school for a new degree or anything like that but sometimes obtaining a certification is not all that difficult. For myself, I was stuck in my 40's with an engineering degree and no direct engineering experience and my employment prospects looked pretty dim. But I was able to get a Project Management certification and it really turned things around for me. The PM cert simply required about a month of intensive independent study to pass the exam, although I did have to portray much of my previous work as PM activity in order to qualify for the exam. La Colombiana has a certification in Phlebotomy that she only had to take a 3 month class to get. She's never used it for her job. She's also mentioned getting an EMT cert and some other certs.

I simply do not have the money to take courses, certificates, etc.. I've had my cpr (which i need to renew) and taken courses related to personal training.  Should i get this new job i believe taking some courses related to managment and/or sales would be prudent but right now, i have to worry about my car payments and daughter visiting.  I should spend the money to make money, but until this car sells, I'm not comfortable doing that. 

Timeline

If I can't call my employee to say something like, "hey where's this case file?", or "hey do you have this set of car keys?".  Then that employee is useless to me. 

You guys are misinformed about the real world.