N-o-l-a

That Itch You Can't Rant About (The Rant Thread)

2,974 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
2 hours ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

I get what I would describe as a mental rash when I find someone using than instead of then -and vice versa-, confusing affect with effect or non chalantly declaring "I could care less". 😑

But, I think the one I'm most "allergic" to, is per say.😵 *I feel dirty just by typing such aberration*

Oh per se, that is a very common one. I’ll admit that sometimes when I’m in a hurry, I’ll make a than/then or similar mistake.  

2 hours ago, rrobin0609 said:

My husband chose this and he refuses to stop wearing it

Image result for walmart cat bomb pop shirt

That is the best. I texted him to see if he’d wear it, no confirmation yet. 

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

3 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

I like summer and fall can wait until fall and not start just yet. I want to get to OCtober with my pool :) 

Fall please. The 'feels like" here today is 112. Over  it. I have one of those little kiddie pools, the molded plastic ones, which I got thinking the dog might enjoy it. She doesn't, wont go near it. The temp of the water it it today  is really warm, like make a nice cup of tea warm. 

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

52 minutes ago, N-o-l-a said:

Oh per se, that is a very common one. 

Yeah, more common than I can tolerate. 😫 And I wonder if those who use per say, do know what per se actually means.

Another one that completely baffles me is could of instead of could have. Really? Is grammar a forgotten archaic knowledge?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

WEll being as this thread is one I post a lot in. I suggest you get over the grammar policing cause I will drive you nuts 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Besides today's public rant, I tend to cry in silence, wishing for a syntactically perfect world. 😅

I know what you mean. I see so much incorrect grammar, syntax, spelling and word form errors from students that on here I just read right over it. I've learned to turn the "teacher" off, but sometimes it drives me nuts. Not so much on this thread but on others. And speaking of other threads, hats off to those of you on here who are Mods, because sometimes I can't make head or tails out of some of the posts due to the English deficiency.

I have a friend who asked me to proof read one of her eBay listings to check for spelling and grammar errors. She had several, but my favorite one was when she described a vintage dress as being "sequenced".

Also, long over due congrats to new citizen spouses, sympathy to others who have suffered recent losses and hang in there to others who are facing very difficult life situations at the moment.

Timeline
On 8/9/2019 at 1:23 PM, N-o-l-a said:

I think we are both in the big bust club, so 2 suggestions: get a dress that fits the bust and have it altered to fit the rest or try eshakti if you have some time. I think the first is probably what I'd do. 

Thanks for the eshakti referral. I found 2 things that I really liked that got the ok from my step-daughters. I ordered both of them, one is a navy blue long sleeve jumpsuit in chiffon to wear to the Marie for the official ceremony and the other is a long dress with a sweetheart neckline and 3/4 sleeves in a mauvey/pinky/purpley color. Now I have to find shoes, but I've got time since we're not leaving until mid-Nov.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, N-o-l-a said:

I’ll admit that sometimes when I’m in a hurry, I’ll make a than/then or similar mistake.  

I think some of these are down to pronunciation. I can barely decipher the difference between a spoken American "then" or "than". My husband says "ben" ("been"). Vowels in America are pronounced differently. 

Edited by fip & jim

Timeline
1 hour ago, cdneh said:

Fall please. The 'feels like" here today is 112. Over  it. I have one of those little kiddie pools, the molded plastic ones, which I got thinking the dog might enjoy it. She doesn't, wont go near it. The temp of the water it it today  is really warm, like make a nice cup of tea warm. 

ooh sun-tea. It's hot here too and we're under a heat advisory until after 9 pm.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

I think some of these are down to pronunciation. I can barely decipher a spoken American then or than. My husband says "ben" (or it sounds like that to me), not "been". Vowels in America are pronounced differently. 

With "then" listen for the main verb. With "than" listen for an adjective in the comparative form. "been" is usually pronounced as "bin" with the short vowel /i/ as in "pin"

Edited by theresaL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
4 minutes ago, theresaL said:

With "then" listen for the main verb. With "than" listen for an adjective in the comparative form. "been" is usually pronounced as "bin" with the short vowel /i/ as in "pin"

I had my first day at work today. A colleague was introduced as (what sounded to me) like "Terra". When I asked afterwards how to spell her name it was T-a-r-a. Inside I was saying "Oh, you mean Tara!" (Tah-rah). 

Here's an interesting article about how Americans may actually speak a more authentic version of English than Brits do (a great source of hilarity for my 15/16th German and 1/16th Welsh husband) : http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20180207-how-americans-preserved-british-english

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
8 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

Nope kids pair up naturally. Never a middle. 

So what do they call the 2nd of 5 (which I am)? :lol:

/though the pairing-up was the sisters on either side of me, and the brothers who were the last two; until meeting PRG, I was a natural loner

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
14 minutes ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

So what do they call the 2nd of 5 (which I am)? :lol:

/though the pairing-up was the sisters on either side of me, and the brothers who were the last two; until meeting PRG, I was a natural loner

1st child .... oldest (duh) 

2nd ............. oldest middle 

3rd .....   middle middle (poor thing)

4th ......  youngest middle 

5th ..and last .. youngest /sanity /??