EandS2019

June 2019 AOS Filers

2,825 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

i was just doing my taxes. kind of confused about the resident or non-resident alien. we were married for more than 50% of the year. she had her ssn for half the year (kind of, oh there was a fiasco). but she didn't have her Ap/EAD card until november. so i hope i can file as married. The  instructions mention the Green Card test. but k1 is a bit different than someone just trying to move here as single or married in their home country.

Do any of you have any info about this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
19 minutes ago, jeffo said:

i was just doing my taxes. kind of confused about the resident or non-resident alien. we were married for more than 50% of the year. she had her ssn for half the year (kind of, oh there was a fiasco). but she didn't have her Ap/EAD card until november. so i hope i can file as married. The  instructions mention the Green Card test. but k1 is a bit different than someone just trying to move here as single or married in their home country.

Do any of you have any info about this?

As long as you are married on or before December 31, 2019 you can file as married. Married Filing Jointly almost always yields a higher refund than Married filing Separately. You will need to paper file your taxes and include a statement that your spouse is choosing to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes. Per the IRS website:

"If, at the end of your tax year, you are married and one spouse is a U.S. citizen or resident alien and the other is a nonresident alien, you can choose to treat the nonresident as a U.S. resident."

How to Make the Choice

Attach a statement, signed by both spouses, to your joint return for the first tax year for which the choice applies. It should contain the following information:

A declaration that one spouse was a nonresident alien and the other spouse a U.S. citizen or resident alien on the last day of the tax year, and that you choose to be treated as U.S. residents for the entire tax year.

The name, address, and identification number of each spouse.

Source: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

If your spouse also had income in 2019 from her home country there are additional steps/forms needed to exclude that income from being taxed (if applicable). If you need more info about that I can provide some sources, but there is also a tax section of this forum where this topic is discussed extensively.

Edited by beloved_dingo

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

We got the notification today for his EAD!! 227 days 😳 RFE was in August~ no other update about his interview, other than that it's "ready to be scheduled".

Screenshot_20200123-130016_Firefox.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
38 minutes ago, pinkitmake said:

We got the notification today for his EAD!! 227 days 😳 RFE was in August~ no other update about his interview, other than that it's "ready to be scheduled".

It's such an exciting relief when it finally happens! Congratulations!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline
2 hours ago, pinkitmake said:

So happy for you guys! After a lot of uncertainty finally you are getting some relief!

3 hours ago, pinkitmake said:

Wow! Congulatulations!!I am so happy for you,We have been in the same boat.I still haven't heard anything from my EAD or RFE response still but seeing yours moving give me hope as well.

19 hours ago, babie said:

Wow! Congulatulations!!I am so happy for you,We have been in the same boat.I still haven't heard anything from my EAD or RFE response still but seeing yours moving give me hope as well.

Hello guys!I just received an email from USCIS saying that my case is awaiting to be scheduled for interview.But my status hasn't changed from USCIS request of evidence was received.Is that normal?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline
12 minutes ago, babie said:

Hello guys!I just received an email from USCIS saying that my case is awaiting to be scheduled for interview.But my status hasn't changed from USCIS request of evidence was received.Is that normal?

On the new site ours just says "case has been received". The old site has the updated information for us. I think the sites are bad about not having the right information

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I got a letter of notification for my interview today and it’s on the 20th of February, 2020.I will keep you posted after the interview. Good luck to us all.

2 hours ago, CharleneB said:

I got a letter of notification for my interview today and it’s on the 20th of February, 2020.I will keep you posted after the interview. Good luck to us all.

congratulations! Good luck with your interview. 

I received a courtesy letter saying I haven’t submitted i693 and need to bring it to interview today in the mail out of no where. I checked my case status just know on the app and now it says case is ready to be schedule for an interview. 

I am glad that many of us got some sorts of update. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.