EandS2019

June 2019 AOS Filers

2,825 posts in this topic

Hey all! I just wanted to let you all know how the interview went. Hopefully it may be helpful to those of you who are having your interview soon. We showed up half an hour before the appointment time as requested by the interview notice, and we weren't called in until about 45 minutes past the appointment time. We were sworn in, then my fingerprints were taken by the officer. After that, they started asking us questions. I don't recall every question, but here's the ones that I do recall:

1. When and how did you meet?
  2. When did you move in together?
  3. How often did we see each other when we were dating?
  4. What was the last thing you celebrated together? Where did you go?
  5. Where do you live? How many bedrooms do you have? Who lives with you?
  6. Where and when was your first date?

Then they asked for our evidence. For some reason, the law office we hired did not ask us to include evidence in our AOS packet, so our file had arrived at the officer's desk practically devoid of information aside from when we were married. I don't know if you all remember what I commented I was bringing to the interview, but it was a lot and was probably too much. The officer did like that we were organized and well-prepared though, so that was a relief! Here's what they ended up taking:

1. Joint checking and savings account statements
  2. Joint credit card statements
  3. Health insurance bills showing joint use
  4. School loan forms that showed my husband as a reference
  5. Compilation of 26 photos that were captioned and printed on paper (2 photos/page)
  6. Bills for a phone plan that we share with my MIL
  7. Hotel confirmations and receipts from visits
  8. Call logs from our current and previous phone plans, showing our numbers, as well as from the chat app we use
  9. Gift receipts
  10. Correspondence: letters, cards, notes, and emails

They mostly concentrated on the correspondence, call logs, gift receipts, and our travel/visit compilation. Then, they put it aside in a pile, and started asking me questions that I had answered on the I-485 form, e.g. all the crime, terrorist, etc. questions. After that, they ended up printing off a form that they had us sign -- it was the warning that we had to apply to remove conditions on the green card. They congratulated me and informed me that they were approving our petition, and walked us out of the room after we packed up all my binders and folders! LOL

Anyway, good luck to everyone having their interview soon, I hope this was helpful and that your interview goes smoothly too. Good luck also to those of you who are still waiting for updates, I hope you get your interview dates very soon. Happy Thanksgiving, VJers!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm not sure if this is going to be a problem. I, the USC, asked for a letter from our HR department, stating my pay and hours worked - as requested in our interview letter.  They requested the address of the recipient, and I told them it was for the Mount Laurel field office, but  that I needed them to give the letter directly to me and specifically told them to not send it to the field office. They sent it to the field office anyway. Is this going to be a problem? I would like to call or email the field office and explain why a random letter will be arriving, but I can find no contact info for the office. I'm wondering if I should contact USCIS or if I should just let it go and stop worrying?

@Eric&Mirella, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The San Diego office seems like a much more relaxed environment, and while I can't speak for every officer that works there, it seems like a lot of people were coming out with great news and the officers seemed quite nice and conversational. Just be prepared and organized with your evidence, and it'll really help everything. Good luck with your upcoming interview!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
7 minutes ago, cardia said:

@Eric&Mirella, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The San Diego office seems like a much more relaxed environment, and while I can't speak for every officer that works there, it seems like a lot of people were coming out with great news and the officers seemed quite nice and conversational. Just be prepared and organized with your evidence, and it'll really help everything. Good luck with your upcoming interview!

Thank you so much! How did you find parking?  At what time do you recommend me to go if my interview is at 9 am ?

19 minutes ago, Eric&Mirella said:

Thank you so much! How did you find parking?  At what time do you recommend me to go if my interview is at 9 am ?

We live about 20 miles from the office, and we ended up leaving around 7:35 AM and got there by 8:10 AM. There wasn't much traffic actually!

There's a paid parking lot directly across the building. We ended up paying $20 for 2 to 10 hours of parking. There was an option for less than 2 hours, which I think was $15, but we weren't sure how long we would take. It was rather expensive for parking, but it was very convenient for us so we just bit the bullet and paid.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
4 minutes ago, cardia said:

We live about 20 miles from the office, and we ended up leaving around 7:35 AM and got there by 8:10 AM. There wasn't much traffic actually!

There's a paid parking lot directly across the building. We ended up paying $20 for 2 to 10 hours of parking. There was an option for less than 2 hours, which I think was $15, but we weren't sure how long we would take. It was rather expensive for parking, but it was very convenient for us so we just bit the bullet and paid.

Well I paid for parking $35 at pacific beach so $20 is a steal lol . Thank you so much for your help 

Edited by Eric&Mirella

14 hours ago, Joyoussinger said:

I'm not sure if this is going to be a problem. I, the USC, asked for a letter from our HR department, stating my pay and hours worked - as requested in our interview letter.  They requested the address of the recipient, and I told them it was for the Mount Laurel field office, but  that I needed them to give the letter directly to me and specifically told them to not send it to the field office. They sent it to the field office anyway. Is this going to be a problem? I would like to call or email the field office and explain why a random letter will be arriving, but I can find no contact info for the office. I'm wondering if I should contact USCIS or if I should just let it go and stop worrying?

I think maybe you should just let it go. If it doesn't have your case number or if it's not a response to an RFE, I think it's more than likely that USCIS will not add it to your file and just shred it. I've seen some people ask about sending in additional evidence after they've received their NOA1, and the common advice seems to be that you shouldn't send in any additional evidence if you've not received an RFE as there's no guarantee it will make it to your case file. So given that, I really do think it shouldn't be a cause of worry, they'll probably just throw it away.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
56 minutes ago, cardia said:

I think maybe you should just let it go. If it doesn't have your case number or if it's not a response to an RFE, I think it's more than likely that USCIS will not add it to your file and just shred it. I've seen some people ask about sending in additional evidence after they've received their NOA1, and the common advice seems to be that you shouldn't send in any additional evidence if you've not received an RFE as there's no guarantee it will make it to your case file. So given that, I really do think it shouldn't be a cause of worry, they'll probably just throw it away.

Thank you for this good advice. I've started to feel a bit silly for having worried. You're right, there is no case number attached to it and I'm sure it will just be shredded. What's the worst that could happen, anyway? I can't think of anything!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline
3 minutes ago, babie said:

What a painful process this is like slow torture.

My SR is now on 16 days but still nothing

It is indeed a slow torture 😄

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
18 hours ago, babie said:

What a painful process this is like slow torture.

My SR is now on 16 days but still nothing

I know. Its cruel

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 11/25/2019 at 5:10 PM, Liflead said:

Yes! If u have ur EAD card u can work till it's valid without having ur GC.

I just received my EAD card. Thank god! I'm ready to go to the DMV office and get a real ID and learners permit. -- Still waiting for the schedule of my interview. You think How long would it take?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.