EandS2019

June 2019 AOS Filers

2,825 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
Just now, cardia said:

Mine is also at 9AM! My husband and I are concerned about the traffic too, and considering it's the day before Thanksgiving, we're doubly worried about traffic. We'll probably try and get there earlier than 8AM, and go get coffee and breakfast to pass the time.

My plan is kinda  similar too, since we also have to find parking.  I hate parking downtown 😫😅  but I’ll even camp in front of the building  if necessary lol 

Just now, Eric&Mirella said:

My plan is kinda  similar too, since we also have to find parking.  I hate parking downtown 😫😅  but I’ll even camp in front of the building  if necessary lol 

LOL I was telling my husband last night that instead of spending the weekend in, we should've gone downtown to scout out potential parking spots. I'm almost ready to just camp out too, haha.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
6 minutes ago, cardia said:

LOL I was telling my husband last night that instead of spending the weekend in, we should've gone downtown to scout out potential parking spots. I'm almost ready to just camp out too, haha.

A friend of  my husband told us that there’s plenty of paid parking in that area and free parking in the neighborhoods but you have to walk a few blocks. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Eric&Mirella said:

A friend of  my husband told us that there’s plenty of paid parking in that area

In San Diego... there's a paid lot just before the office and several others around there. I didn't see any free parking, but I live and work pretty much out in the 'burbs and am rarely downtown.

Also if you've been to the SSA office for getting cards downtown, the USCIS field office is literally right next door.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline
2 hours ago, CharleneB said:

Your social security number/profile is very important and obligatory as it’s one unique ID that will be needed for all purposes to validate your residence and background check in the U.S. Some employers require ( even US citizen/Green card holder included) to bring the physical Social Security Card along during interview. Hence, I don’t think any employer as at today will employ anyone without SSN.

Well! It make sense but then that way the USCIS shud have sent the SSN card along with the EAD card to those ppl who requested for SSN in their EAD application. What is the point in having the EAD card if ppl are not gonna employ if u do not have the SSN. I read it take few weeks to get the SSN card after you get ur EAD card.

I received my EAD combo card today and along with the card I also received instructions about the importance and usage of the combo card. It just said that I need to show the card to the employer for them to be sure that I am eligible to work in the US. The instructions nowhere mentioned about having a SSN to gain employment but I can understand the employers may get cautious employing ppl who do not have SSN.

Edited by Liflead

Timeline
4 hours ago, kittyanne said:

Thanks! This is what i need. I will start preparing and compiling my documents!

Thanks guys! 

I just received my EAD and I-130 approval notice today but still no i-485.

They said they would deliver the EAD card separately so i have to wait. But how long?

Can i work with just EAD card but no green card? Since i dont know when will i have it?

Yes! If u have ur EAD card u can work till it's valid without having ur GC.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, Liflead said:

Well! It make sense but then that way the USCIS shud have sent the SSN card along with the EAD card to those ppl who requested for SSN in their EAD application. What is the point in having the EAD card if ppl are not gonna employ if u do not have the SSN. I read it take few weeks to get the SSN card after you get ur EAD card.

I received my EAD combo card today and along with the card I also received instructions about the importance and usage of the combo card. It just said that I need to show the card to the employer for them to be sure that I am eligible to work in the US. The instructions nowhere mentioned about having a SSN to gain employment but I can understand the employers may get cautious employing ppl who do not have SSN.

@Liflead  I don’t know about other visa type but I came in on a K-1 visa like you and I got my SSN sorted the day I was able to get my 1-94 printed. It took SSA two weeks to verify my status and my social security card was mailed to me .All within 6 weeks of my arrival. So USCIS (for immigrants)is a separate government agency from social security administration   ( for everyone older than 18 and earning or willing to earn any form of income).

However , IRS requires employers to report  employees’ income with SSN to them and I don’t think any employer want to be in the bad books of Uncle Sam :) .

Timeline
56 minutes ago, elingk said:

Good evening, does anyone know when the EAD card comes, USPS will put it in the mail box or it requires signature upon arrival so I’ll have to be home?

No signature required , it will come just as your regular mail in the box.

5 hours ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

In San Diego... there's a paid lot just before the office and several others around there. I didn't see any free parking, but I live and work pretty much out in the 'burbs and am rarely downtown.

Also if you've been to the SSA office for getting cards downtown, the USCIS field office is literally right next door.

Thanks for the heads up regarding parking! I've never been to the SSA office, but I just looked up the USCIS San Diego office and it turns out we've actually been around that area before, so we actually did have an idea of where to park! One less headache.

Timeline

Good luck to @cardia and others who had their interview scheduled date / are having their interviews or must gotten their EADs/ GCs in this auspicious week.What a perfect way to celebrate the Thanksgiving. We are waiting for the good news here  to cheer 👍 us  ( awaiting EADs/waiting for our interviews or for it to be scheduled) all up. 

Timeline
14 hours ago, elingk said:

Good evening, does anyone know when the EAD card comes, USPS will put it in the mail box or it requires signature upon arrival so I’ll have to be home?

They will put it in the mailbox. If u install the USPS app and add the tracking number u can track the mail and also u will get the notification via SMS once they deliver it to ur mailbox. :)

Thank you so much, @CharleneB! Was quite great to see your message pop up in my notifications this morning, you're a wonderful person. And good luck to everyone, as well! 

Timeline
13 hours ago, CharleneB said:

@Liflead  I don’t know about other visa type but I came in on a K-1 visa like you and I got my SSN sorted the day I was able to get my 1-94 printed. It took SSA two weeks to verify my status and my social security card was mailed to me .All within 6 weeks of my arrival. So USCIS (for immigrants)is a separate government agency from social security administration   ( for everyone older than 18 and earning or willing to earn any form of income).

However , IRS requires employers to report  employees’ income with SSN to them and I don’t think any employer want to be in the bad books of Uncle Sam :) .

Ya I agree that SSA is a separate organization but what I am saying what's the point of having the option of requesting the SSN along with the EAD when you have to wait for few more weeks to get it. When I arrived I checked my status on SAVE and it wasn't updated even after almost a month. I had read that its better to go to SSA once it's updated in SAVE otherwise SSA places a manual request to verify your status and that take months. When I had applied for EAD the estimate was 3.5 months and I thought i wud get my EAD in 4 months along with SSN as they asked in the form if I want a SSN. I thought that they give SSN card with the EAD card. I now feel I just shud have applied for SSN within a week of my arrival. But also, I guess when u get ur SSN card before EAD or GC, the SSN comes with a mention that it's not authorized for work so that means once u get ur EAD u still have to go to SSA and get a new updated SSN card. So one way or the other u have to go and deal with the busy SSA office. 🙄

Edited by Liflead

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
51 minutes ago, Liflead said:

Ya I agree that SSA is a separate organization but what I am saying what's the point of having the option of requesting the SSN along with the EAD when you have to wait for few more weeks to get it. When I arrived I checked my status on SAVE and it wasn't updated even after almost a month. I had read that its better to go to SSA once it's updated in SAVE otherwise SSA places a manual request to verify your status and that take months. When I had applied for EAD the estimate was 3.5 months and I thought i wud get my EAD in 4 months along with SSN as they asked in the form if I want a SSN. I thought that they give SSN card with the EAD card. I now feel I just shud have applied for SSN within a week of my arrival. But also, I guess when u get ur SSN card before EAD or GC, the SSN comes with a mention that it's not authorized for work so that means once u get ur EAD u still have to go to SSA and get a new updated SSN card. So one way or the other u have to go and deal with the busy SSA office. 🙄

The notation on your card stays even with your EAD. You need to wait until you have your green card to have it removed. And, yes, you need an SSN to work.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.