EandS2019

June 2019 AOS Filers

2,825 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, Liflead said:

Ya I agree that SSA is a separate organization but what I am saying what's the point of having the option of requesting the SSN along with the EAD when you have to wait for few more weeks to get it. When I arrived I checked my status on SAVE and it wasn't updated even after almost a month. I had read that its better to go to SSA once it's updated in SAVE otherwise SSA places a manual request to verify your status and that take months. When I had applied for EAD the estimate was 3.5 months and I thought i wud get my EAD in 4 months along with SSN as they asked in the form if I want a SSN. I thought that they give SSN card with the EAD card. I now feel I just shud have applied for SSN within a week of my arrival. But also, I guess when u get ur SSN card before EAD or GC, the SSN comes with a mention that it's not authorized for work so that means once u get ur EAD u still have to go to SSA and get a new updated SSN card. So one way or the other u have to go and deal with the busy SSA office. 🙄

I think there's just no getting around the fact that unfortunately, the SSA is separate from USCIS, so it's probably just difficult to coordinate issuance of EAD and SSN cards. I've seen people receive their SSN in the mail two to four days after they received their EAD, but I received mine 14 days after I got my EAD in the mail. With that in mind, I'd rather just apply for it via the I-765, instead of having to go in myself.

I did find a USCIS document that says that people should be receiving their SSN cards within 7 business days of receiving their EAD, but most legal/immigration help sites seem to quote two weeks after receipt of EAD.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thank you for you reply, our status changed to approved on November 22nd and on 25th changed to "card mailed" So all is well and we're super excited to be finally done with this portion of immigration. 

On 11/22/2019 at 6:59 PM, KelsJosh said:

That's what happened to us as well! The guy was super friendly and told us everything looked good but he just had to go through all of it. Status changed to "must be reviewed" then like 4 hours later changed to "card being produced" lol, I got my greencard in the mail 8 days after the interview!

Thank you for you reply, our status changed to approved on November 22nd and on 25th changed to "card mailed" So all is well and we're super excited to finally done with this portion of immigration. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Joyoussinger said:

The notation on your card stays even with your EAD. You need to wait until you have your green card to have it removed. And, yes, you need an SSN to work.

That's right and very interesting about the notation! About working without a SSN, I think u are partly correct. A person can  be employed and start working without a SSN; however, to continue the employment that person has to provide the SSN to the employer within the reasonable days. https://www.patriotsoftware.com/payroll/training/blog/hire-without-social-security-number/

Also, if someone has applied for SSN along with their I-765 form, that person receives the SSN card within 7 business days after the individual has received the EAD card as per the SSA website.

Screenshot_20191126-113257__01.jpg

Timeline
1 hour ago, cardia said:

I think there's just no getting around the fact that unfortunately, the SSA is separate from USCIS, so it's probably just difficult to coordinate issuance of EAD and SSN cards. I've seen people receive their SSN in the mail two to four days after they received their EAD, but I received mine 14 days after I got my EAD in the mail. With that in mind, I'd rather just apply for it via the I-765, instead of having to go in myself.

I did find a USCIS document that says that people should be receiving their SSN cards within 7 business days of receiving their EAD, but most legal/immigration help sites seem to quote two weeks after receipt of EAD.

I agree! I found the same thing on the SSA website that you get the SSN card within 7 business days after receiving the EAD card. Now let's see. If I don't get within that period then I will follow up with them.

Timeline
1 minute ago, MrsRo said:

After 168 long days of waiting for EAD... a new card is being produced!

Congratulations 🎉

Coming statues wud be:

Case Was Approved

Card Was Mailed To Me

Card Was Picked up By The USPS

Card Was Delivered To Me by The Post

:)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Liflead said:

That's right and very interesting about the notation! About working without a SSN, I think u are partly correct. A person can  be employed and start working without a SSN; however, to continue the employment that person has to provide the SSN to the employer within the reasonable days. https://www.patriotsoftware.com/payroll/training/blog/hire-without-social-security-number/

Also, if someone has applied for SSN along with their I-765 form, that person receives the SSN card within 7 business days after the individual has received the EAD card as per the SSA website.

That's interesting! The SSN is needed for the reporting of wages,  not specifically for working. Thanks for clarifying that.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Joyoussinger said:

That's interesting! The SSN is needed for the reporting of wages,  not specifically for working. Thanks for clarifying that.

If and I mean “IF”  there is any employer who wishes to employ you without SSN , you will be asked to provide it before your 1st pay check and I don’t know if anyone want to go through the experience of the pressure of fervently hoping their SSN comes within the given time by the employer while you’re already working.my advice for new K-1 visa applicant is that you have plenty of time in your hands while your AOS and EAD is still in process. *If USCIS website is tricky , go on google and type 1-94 form.
*Print it out and if it’s not ready on the site look up and call CBP number and tell them you can’t find your 1-94 record online , you will be asked to either wait for few days and check again or come to their office in your city to get it printed out for you.

*Go to SSA website , fill the form and take the form along with your 1-94 , a copy of your passport data page and the original passport.

* Go to their nearest SSA office and if they can’t automatically verify you (like me) , you will be asked to wait for 2 weeks. You will be verified from USCIS/DHS and you should get your SS card a week after that.

You know what K-1 is and you should be ready to explain it to the SSA attendant if they seem confuse it with IR-1 visa .

Timeline
4 hours ago, Liflead said:

Congratulations 🎉

Coming statues wud be:

Case Was Approved

Card Was Mailed To Me

Card Was Picked up By The USPS

Card Was Delivered To Me by The Post

:)

Not everyone gets  such detailed  status on both USCIS website and the app .I got my physical EAD/AP card about a month ago ( two days after my status changed to “Card Was Mailed To Me” ) and the status  as we speak , still remains “Card Was Mailed To Me” on both platform.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi guys, our EAD status changed to New Card Is Being Produced. Just about 5 months after applying. Good luck everybody

09/15/21 Filed I-751 package

09/16/21 Package received at USCIS lockbox

09/18/21 Fees charged to credit card. Case number assigned

09/23/21 I-797 Extension received (24 months)

10/25/21 Received Biometrics Waiver Letter (Dated 10/21/21)

12/28/22  Case Transferred To Another Office

01/12/23 Case Approved

09/16/22 Filed N400 online

09/23/2022 NOA and Biometrics letters received 

01/11/2023 Interview (combo N400/I751)

01/11/2023 Naturalization was Approved

01/12/2023 Oath Ceremony. Certificate of Naturalization was issued

Timeline
3 hours ago, CharleneB said:

If and I mean “IF”  there is any employer who wishes to employ you without SSN , you will be asked to provide it before your 1st pay check and I don’t know if anyone want to go through the experience of the pressure of fervently hoping their SSN comes within the given time by the employer while you’re already working.my advice for new K-1 visa applicant is that you have plenty of time in your hands while your AOS and EAD is still in process. *If USCIS website is tricky , go on google and type 1-94 form.
*Print it out and if it’s not ready on the site look up and call CBP number and tell them you can’t find your 1-94 record online , you will be asked to either wait for few days and check again or come to their office in your city to get it printed out for you.

*Go to SSA website , fill the form and take the form along with your 1-94 , a copy of your passport data page and the original passport.

* Go to their nearest SSA office and if they can’t automatically verify you (like me) , you will be asked to wait for 2 weeks. You will be verified from USCIS/DHS and you should get your SS card a week after that.

You know what K-1 is and you should be ready to explain it to the SSA attendant if they seem confuse it with IR-1 visa .

This would deserve an "upvote" if that option still existed.

Timeline

Day 163 and still no update on EAD...

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

21 hours ago, cardia said:

My wife has recently received her green card (before EAD). We went to the local SSA office and applied. We had the card in hand exactly one week later.

Edited by boris64
Missing verb))

Finally done...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.