Why did you choose the US?

82 posts in this topic

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would take Canada's weather any day over DC!! Much toO humid here!! I much prefer cold and snow!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I would take Canada's weather any day over DC!! Much toO humid here!! I much prefer cold and snow!!

Amen.. humidity sucks..

and don't get me started on the "other ways" Canada rocks vs. US :) hee heee...

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Amen brother! Oklahoma summers suck -- way too dang hot.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
We decided on the US because I had a job/roots and my wife just moved back to Ontario with her parents after they spent six years in Alberta. She had no job/no career/no school and we figured it was better for me to keep my job than for me to find one in Canada. Since she's going to be a stay at home mom, that helped on that department too. We talked about retiring in Canada one day but once we have kids and they grow up and possibly live in the Philadelphia area, it would be hard to leave them.

Yours are similar reasons to ours but not entirely... ! I work but only temporarily, and I also plan on being a stay at home mom once children are in the picture...

March 6, 2007 - I-129F package sent

March 21, 2007 - I-129F NOA2

October 17, 2007 - K1 interview - approved

October 19, 2007 - K1 arrived in mail

October 21, 2007 - US entry

October 23, 2007 - Wedding day

November 27, 2007 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

December 7, 2007 - Received all 3 NOA's for AOS, AP & EAD

December 10, 2007 - Received letter for biometrics appointment

January 2, 2008 - I-485 transferred to California

January 3, 2008 - Biometrics

January 16, 2008 - RFE for I-485

January 22, 2008 - RFE for I-485 arrived

January 23, 2008 - AP approved

January 25, 2008 - Case status finally updated: AP approved January 23!

January 31, 2008 - EAD card production ordered

February 2, 2008 - AP arrived in mail

February 5, 2008 - Sending a letter/RFE to CSC

February 5, 2008 - EAD card production ordered (again?!)

February 7, 2008 - RFE/letter arrived at CSC

February 7, 2008 - EAD approval sent

February 9, 2008 - EAD card received, dated January 23rd!

February 25, 2008 - CSC finally acknowledges receiving RFE

February 27, 2008 - I-485 APPROVED!

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

March 3, 2008 - Received welcome letter

March 3, 2008 - I-485 approval letter sent

March 6, 2008 - Green card arrived in mail.

November 2009 - Removal of conditions...

Timeline

We talked about both options (him, USC, moving to Canada/me, CDN, moving to the U.S.) but ultimately it made more sense for me to be the one to move since he loves his job and there is no opportunity to work at that job in Canada. We will BOTH miss my family a lot though!

March 6, 2007 - I-129F package sent

March 21, 2007 - I-129F NOA2

October 17, 2007 - K1 interview - approved

October 19, 2007 - K1 arrived in mail

October 21, 2007 - US entry

October 23, 2007 - Wedding day

November 27, 2007 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

December 7, 2007 - Received all 3 NOA's for AOS, AP & EAD

December 10, 2007 - Received letter for biometrics appointment

January 2, 2008 - I-485 transferred to California

January 3, 2008 - Biometrics

January 16, 2008 - RFE for I-485

January 22, 2008 - RFE for I-485 arrived

January 23, 2008 - AP approved

January 25, 2008 - Case status finally updated: AP approved January 23!

January 31, 2008 - EAD card production ordered

February 2, 2008 - AP arrived in mail

February 5, 2008 - Sending a letter/RFE to CSC

February 5, 2008 - EAD card production ordered (again?!)

February 7, 2008 - RFE/letter arrived at CSC

February 7, 2008 - EAD approval sent

February 9, 2008 - EAD card received, dated January 23rd!

February 25, 2008 - CSC finally acknowledges receiving RFE

February 27, 2008 - I-485 APPROVED!

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

March 3, 2008 - Received welcome letter

March 3, 2008 - I-485 approval letter sent

March 6, 2008 - Green card arrived in mail.

November 2009 - Removal of conditions...

Amen brother! Oklahoma summers suck -- way too dang hot.

Ditto here in Baltimore ... it SUCKS being so hot and sticky all the time. It feels like a really awful day in August in T.O.... any it's only May ... ok... June by now.

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

My Canadian hubby LOVES the heat and I can't stand it. He is so bummed that we no longer live in Georgia.

When we go to bed at night, I am usually sweating and uncomfortable, begging to use the AC. He is under a comforter!!!

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, I prefer the heat and my husband likes the cooler weather:-). I had enough snow during the first 48 years of my life to last me a lifetime so I am happy to live here in Georgia. While weather was not a consideration in our decision of where to live, I LOVE it here in Georgia. Winter is the way it should be:-) - above freezing during the day and hovering around freezing overnight:-). I must admit though that July and August's heat and humidity combination becomes hard to take. Thank God for AC.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

New Orleans in the summer is torture! The heat and the humidity. Yes, Thank God for AC!! There are days there I would love to feel some -30. Just for a few minutes!

Mel is very settled in Louisiana, he has a good job, he has shared custody of his 5 year old son and that is reason alone he wouldn't move to Canada.

As a Hairstylist, I can easily find work anywhere. Before I met Mel, I was offered a job in the Cayman Islands. I thought about it, chatted with the Owner several times, but turned it down. Glad I did!!

This is an interesting question. My hubby, the USC, is actually a dually, USC by birth and Canadian citizen (do we have a short-form for this? CAC? :huh: ) by naturalization. He was into college in Washington state and I hadn't started in BC, although I'd been accepted into universities in 3 different provinces. We decided it made more sense for me to fall behind a year in school rather than have him transfer. He also feels the job market will be better for the two of us in the USA (him-economics and me-civil engineering). He had only lived in the GTA area in Canada and he wasn't impressed (I don't blame him) and I grew up in rural Ontario, and being adventurous left home after high school for Kamloops, BC, so moving again to WA wasn't a big deal, just another adventure. We'll finish school in the USA and then go where the money takes us, be it anywhere in the USA or the world, as we are quite the globetrotters (especially him, he's lived in Wisconsin, Arizona, Japan, India, Canada, and we've visited China where his dad teaches english). We do ultimately want to buy some land in Montana and retire there someday!

-Eli-

K-1

March 24-06------I129F sent to NSC

March 27-06------NOA1

...5 Months of waiting b/c of IMBRA ridiculousness...

September 5-06--APPROVED!! 162 days!

September 09-06-Received NOA2

January 03-07----Medical and Interview in Vancouver - APPROVED!! 285 days from filing!

January 04-07----POE at Vancouver Int'l Airport

January 12-07----Wedding Day!

AOS & EAD

February 20-07---AOS, EAD sent to Chicago

February 27-07---NOA1

March 15-07------Biometrics Appointment

May 09-07------AOS Interview - Approved pending new sponsor.

June 11-07-------Approved & Green Card Issued

Removal of Conditions

May 11-09--------I-751 Sent via FedEx Overnight

May 15-09--------Receipt date on I-797

June 16-09-------Change of Address Confirmed

...one giant address change/biometrics fuxxup later...

July 28-09--------Biometrics taken (walk-in)

July 29-09--------Touched :)

August 13-09---APPROVAL EMAIL!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I've seen this question asked for VJers from everywhere, but I'm wondering what factors led Canada/US couples to decide to live in the US instead of Canada. Of course some factors to consider will be the same for all couples. But like some other countries, Canada shares with the US the same language (well, most of Canada does), a culture that's similar in many ways, and the same standard of living more or less. Most Canadians have probably travelled in the US, and we get US TV, so there's less for us to get used to. Most of us aren't deciding on the language or continent, just which side of the border to live on (and all the changes that either decision brings).

My fiance was prepared to move to Canada to be with me. But when we took the emotion out of the equation (we both love our own countries), it made more sense for me to move to the US. I'm self-employed and work at the computer, so I can continue doing the same work almost anywhere that has an Internet connection. I earn most of my income in USD already. And he has a closer connection with his family, where he lives, than I do with mine.

Since you're here at VJ, you decided to live in the US. How did you make that decision? Or if you've lived in Canada together or plan to later, how did you decide that?

Well, I'm not there yet.... but whilst in the long term it makes more sense for us to live in the UK, for now the USA is the more practical choice.

I am somewhat nervous about it, living overseas is quite a daunting prospect and I will be leaving my family, including my son, behind and some amazing and close friends who I have known for about 20 years or so.

However, it is an adventure and I can come home if it is unbearable. I'm looking forward to my new life... with some trepidation and excitement in equal measure.

Met Online: June 2005

First met in person: November 2005

2nd Meeting: March 2006

Decided to marry: May 2006

3rd Meeting: June 2006

4th Meeting: December 2006

Filed for K1: Jan 2007

NOA1: 5th Feb 2007

NOA2: 1st May 2007

Left NVC 15th May 2007

Packet 3 rec: 26th May 2007

Packet 3 posted: 29th May 2007

Medical: 14th June 2007

Packet 4: 23rd June 2007

Interview Date: 31st August 2007

Wedding: 11th Nov 2007 (woo-hoo)

AOS (&I-765) sent: Feb 29th 08

RFE: March 08

AOS Transferred to CSC: April 08

Pendinnngggg...........

AOS APPROVED: May 22nd 08 - card production ordered! Hoorah!

Filed: Other Timeline

Originally the plan was for my hubby to move to Canada. I have more family that I'm closer to, more close friends that I had to surgically remove than he did, and an established carreer where I made quite good money, better than a comparable job in North Carolina anyhow. He was all for it, sick and tired of the life-style here in the south, not particularly looking forward to moving to "the big city" of Toronto, but then I showed him my hometown of Stouffville and he quite liked that idea, so I got an apartment there, getting ready for him to move up. Then Canadian Immgration put the kybosh on that, declaring him a menace to society because of a stupid juvenile record, and then I got laid off from my job, so here I am.

I've been bugging him ever since to get his paperwork sorted out so that we can go to Canada. I'd like to move back at least to retire, hopefully before. The prospect of having to pay for medical care in the US into our old age is not something I look forward to. I miss my family and friends, I miss the life--style, and his parents are dead now (they died within less than a year of each other, since I moved here) and he's not especially close with the rest of his family. We never see them, not even his brother who lives across the street! We hear from his neice only when she wants something from him.

At the very least I'd like to move up to a border town so that I could drive up to TO and Whitby to see family and friends more often. Somewhere around Buffalo or Rochester or or or...so even if James never sorts out his mis-spent youth that haunts him (crikey, even the Marines didn't care...why the hell should it be such a problem for immigration? bleah :P ) I'd be able to see my family more often than once or twice a year. This year it looks like I'll only get home once, and as my eejit Mother and Sister *still* have not managed to get their passports, it is unlikely I'll see any of them south of the border at all. eejits. :P Its not like they didn't know it was coming! sheesh! Plus, my brother-in-law also has a criminal record that will likely make him inadmissable to visit the US, so I only get to see them when I can get up there.

Parents teach your children well! Especially as you're cross border families, if they get themselves into trouble, they won't be able to go visit the other half of their family! Man, it is such a bother. :(

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
No-one mentioned the weather yet? :o

we both hate the cold and snow, so i'm all for a 3 month (max) winter that only gets about 5-10 degrees Celsius below freezing. what i'm not looking forward to is the summer heat and humidity. :wacko: at least we have a brand new a/c system in the house...

First contact: Oct 14/06

First meeting: Nov 6-13/06

Engaged: Dec 29/06

Moved to US: June 28/07

Married: July 14/07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.