XM148

Anyone with experience suing USCIS for case decision delay?

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Hopefully I am posting this in the correct forum. I am looking for advice as my wife and I are preparing to sue USCIS to force a decision. Here is a brief background:

My wife is from China. About seven years ago she applied for an EB-5 visa. This was a very significant expense, and all though her investment project has been completed, none of the visas in her EB-5 group have been granted. The money is still tied up and she received a letter that said the EB-5 investment manager will be keeping it another 10 years due to the delay with the visas. About 5 years ago, she applied for, and was granted a student visa. She came to the US and studied in two Universities, one in Ohio and another in California. We met while she was in school in California and she had been in the US for about 3 years at that time. Eventually we got married, she moved to Alaska, and we immediately filed all of the paperwork to change her status and get her a green card due to marriage. This was 23 months ago.  After we were married she was granted an employment authorization card and was able to get a drivers license in Alaska. This state is very strict on who they issue drivers licenses to. The card was valid for one year. She applied to renew it and was sent a 180 day extension letter. That was 8 months ago, since she received the letter. Her drives license is now expired and she can't drive anymore, because she never received a new card. Somewhere the the midst of this we had a daughter, who is now 8 months old. We also live in a remote area, 25 miles from town. Having an infant child and a wife without a valid drivers license is a great hardship. 

Three months ago we finally had our first immigration interview. We were interviewed separately and it lasted about 45 minutes for each of us. We brought in all types of documents, including marriage certificate, joint bank accounts, insurance polices, birth records of our daughter, property deeds, photos, joint tax returns, etc. The case manager said he would have no problem approving our case, except the case was now so "old" that her immunization certificate was now expired and she needed a new one from a doctor. Two weeks and $1100 later, we sent the documents in.     

Two months go by and we receive another letter, requesting a second interview. OK, I guess. So we go in for this and are interviewed separately again. Her interview took 3 hours. It was absolutely agonizing sitting in the lobby because this was completely unexpected. When I was finally called in, my portion took 1.5 hours. The case manager had a completely different attitude this time and he had 8-10 pages of hand written notes from my wife's interview. We both have relatively significant assets (compared to the average person) and the immigration officer was insinuating my wife invested funds into my business (self employed) in exchange for marriage. Absolutely false because I've never used a dime of her money and none of it has ever been invested into my business, one that I started 3 years before we even met. The officer then tried to accuse me of owing back taxes (absolutely false), and was unable to show any evidence of this claim when I asked for proof.  He then goes on a tangent about her "extreme attempts to become a US Citizen" because of her EB-5, student visa, and now marriage. He told me this is a red flag and looks very bad for her. I was pretty taken back and just told him look, she already had another pathway to immigration via EB-5, our marriage is real, we have a child, and you have a 12" thick binder sitting on your desk of her case file that contains all of our supporting documents. What more do you want us to prove? He looked me right in the eye and said "OK, you're right. I promise you I will approve your case today" (his exact words) and went on to say she can expect her green card to arrive in the mail in 2-3 weeks.

On the drive home my wife told me that he her asked many detailed questions about my business. I am a licensed federal firearms dealer. He asked her how many guns I own, their storage locations, questions about the legality of my business, how many "illegal" guns I owned, etc. Never said a word about it to me. Needless to say all of my firearms are legal in accordance with state and federal law. My business is legal and we supply many of the local police departments. 

A few days later, we receive a letter from him dated one day after the interview, requesting/demanding copies of her college transcripts and tuition payment receipts. The frustration level was beyond belief. He looked me in the eye and promised to approve the case. I know that means nothing but oh man, so irritating. 

This isn't really relevant but just leaves a terrible taste on how USCIS "works". While I was waiting in the lobby during the 3 hour misery, a young woman came up to the fast pass window. She had a letter for her immigration interview that was about 30 days out. She was begging the guy at the counter for it to be moved up ASAP because she needed her legal status as fast as possible. When the guy asked her why, she told him she needed food stamps and the ability to apply for other government benefits and housing. They were more than happy to accommodate her and moved her interview to the following week. Meanwhile we are paying 150k+ a year in federal taxes and getting the run around for nearly two years while they fast track a societal leech. 

We have ordered certified copies of her transcripts and recovered all of her tuition receipts. The transcripts are in the mail. Once we receive them we are planning to mail them overnight and wait two weeks. If her case has not been approved or additional documentation is again requested, we are going to hire an attorney and sue USCIS to force their decision. Looking for advice from those who have had to do this before, and whether or not you were able to recover legal fees.

Sorry for the long post, just needed to vent.

Well... good luck with that. In my opinion there is zero to non chance that you'll be able to sue them and/or gain anything. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Sounds like there is something about her that is delaying the process. You say she applied for an EB-5 visa seven years ago and it still has not been approved. What is the hold up with that?

Anyway, yes you can sue them to obtain a decision but the outcome may not be an approval. Since they cannot approve someone until they are certain they are eligible for immigration benefits if you sue them and there are issues, such as an incompleted background check, missing documents, etc. then the result will be a denial.

We have no idea what the hold up with her EB-5 is. Everyone in the group, about 20 other people, are in the same boat as her. No one has gotten their visa. But all paid the 500k and the project has officially been completed, but they wont return the money because none of the visas have been issued.

5 hours ago, XM148 said:

This isn't really relevant but just leaves a terrible taste on how USCIS "works". While I was waiting in the lobby during the 3 hour misery, a young woman came up to the fast pass window. She had a letter for her immigration interview that was about 30 days out. She was begging the guy at the counter for it to be moved up ASAP because she needed her legal status as fast as possible. When the guy asked her why, she told him she needed food stamps and the ability to apply for other government benefits and housing. They were more than happy to accommodate her and moved her interview to the following week. Meanwhile we are paying 150k+ a year in federal taxes and getting the run around for nearly two years while they fast track a societal leech. 

Focus on your case and situation only. 

If, and how, others are getting their documents is not relevant to your situation. 

Where your see a societal leech, others might see someone in need, and figure that you have enough income to hire a nanny and a chauffeur... 

Best of luck to your family.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

At this point in time, I wouldn't. Submit the documents they asked for, however irrelevant they may seem, and give them a month. 

In the meantime, talk to a lawyer about litigation. I actually think you do have a valid case. There have been people who sued, and yes, it doesn't necessarily result in approval, but with your issues, a court order might just do the trick. 

I can kind of understand the USCIS concern, but nothing that they shouldn't have been able to figure out during an extensive interview they conducted. I'm guessing the two things together--a previous large investment for EB5, and the fact that you have a successful but tightly regulated business--is making them uneasy. It's not your fault, but perhaps a lawyer here is one of the relatively few times I'd highly recommend one. 

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Moved from AOS from K1 and K3 Family Based Visas to General Immigration-Related Discussion; topic is not AOS specific**

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Be patient with the process, as hard as it is, you are likely very close to approval.  Looks like the concern, given the two Stokes interviews, are that she is doing anything to get US LPR status, this being her third visa application.  They are being more thorough than usual because of this, it looks like she is trying to buy her way into the US.  So hang in there and see what their response is after submitting the requested college information.  They're likely looking to see if her F-1 visa was legitimate, for educational purposes vs. just trying to live in the US at all costs.  Given what you've posted, the approval should come soon.  If denied, that's the time to consider a lawsuit.  Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well a Stokes is not unusual and with an EB5  there must be a Lawyer involved anyway, so what does the Lawyer say?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.