TBoneTX

Form DS-5535 "Supplemental Questions for Visa Applicants" -- Part 2

1,388 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Has anyone thought of just living in another country? It’s been 16 months in AP over 2.5 years since we started this whole process. I’m losing all sense of hope and feel like I have to decide between my country that I love and want to raise my daughter in or being with my husband/father of my daughter.

has anyone looked into places like Canada or Australia and how hard it would be to immigrate as a family? 

I know this is off topic from the forum but how long are we all willing to wait and keep our lives on hold? 

21 hours ago, A.yasini said:

I applied for my husband January 31, 2017. His interview was in May 2018. He is still in AP. Our case is at the Kabul Embassy in Afghanistan. I hope all of us get good news soon. 

My husband’s interview was a month after yours. Also in Kabul... did your DS 260 ever become reopened? And soon after appear as incomplete? 

Im wondering because that happened in our case

7 minutes ago, Tory&Taz said:

Has anyone thought of just living in another country? It’s been 16 months in AP over 2.5 years since we started this whole process. I’m losing all sense of hope and feel like I have to decide between my country that I love and want to raise my daughter in or being with my husband/father of my daughter.

has anyone looked into places like Canada or Australia and how hard it would be to immigrate as a family? 

I know this is off topic from the forum but how long are we all willing to wait and keep our lives on hold? 

I know exactly how you feel. We’ve been on AP since 15 months. And also began this long journey in 2017. 

What country and embassy?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Trumps new “PUBLIC CHARGE” rule. 

Have you guys heard of this?? Supposedly if you rely on public assistance for medical insurance, your family member could possibly be denied their visa if you can’t prove that you can support them. 

But isn’t that why we have to make the income requirements? I make enough for the income requirements to support my husband. But I do rely on medical, free insurance. 

Also an update. I am in the beginning stages of filing a lawsuit against Casblanca’s US consulate. I have a great, experienced lawyer but if this rule goes into effect in October 15, 2018, I don’t know if I will just be waiting to get denied 😩 

3 hours ago, Le212 said:

Have you guys heard of this?? Supposedly if you rely on public assistance for medical insurance, your family member could possibly be denied their visa if you can’t prove that you can support them. 

But isn’t that why we have to make the income requirements? I make enough for the income requirements to support my husband. But I do rely on medical, free insurance. 

Also an update. I am in the beginning stages of filing a lawsuit against Casblanca’s US consulate. I have a great, experienced lawyer but if this rule goes into effect in October 15, 2018, I don’t know if I will just be waiting to get denied 😩 

I just saw this on the news. I think it's for those who have immigrated here already and plan on obtaining a green card. If they are on government support of any kind and attempt to get a green card they could get deported unless they apply after becoming a U.S citizen. Also I dont think it effects the person getting the visa if their spouse who applied for them is on public support so as long as that person is a U.S citizen themselves. This is what I got from my research on this. I hope lawyers fighting against this bill win, it's just another ridiculous attempt to stop any sort of immigration, be it legal or illegal.

4 hours ago, Le212 said:

This is stated on USCIS's site last updated 10/02 that states only public benefits recieved directly or indirectly by the applicant are subjected to public charge. So if you have medicaid, as long as your the only one that recieves it and not your husband than you should be good to go. This is all just from what I gathered from my research, hope it helps.

20191008_194552.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
5 hours ago, Le212 said:

There are different parts to this, Visa, AOS and citizenship there is so much to read about this on line and a mega thread here on VJ.  

For the VISA you need to prove that you can financially support the beneficiary.  You have to show that your income is sufficient and if not it may be accepted to supply a joint sponsor.   There are cases on here recently that have faced denials  for public charge at the embassy.  

Your insurance will not have any affect on the visa.  The benefit part comes into play once the beneficiary is here and they accept any public assistance.   Check on the type of benefit and state most programs for low cost/free insurance do not fall under this rule.  I don't completely understand all of the rules and regulations as I haven't been reading much on this topic.

Edited by Ahmed&Freda

Timeline
4 hours ago, Insha said:

This is stated on USCIS's site last updated 10/02 that states only public benefits recieved directly or indirectly by the applicant are subjected to public charge. So if you have medicaid, as long as your the only one that recieves it and not your husband than you should be good to go. This is all just from what I gathered from my research, hope it helps.

20191008_194552.jpg

Whewww 😅 okay. Thank you so much! This makes me feel better. I already make enough to sponsor my husband and when I first signed the affidavit of support it already said that the applicant couldn’t receive government assistance. So I knew he wouldn’t qualify for public support. But I thought for some reason it meant that if the petitioner was also getting some public support, that they would deny the applicants visa. This is what scared me. But thank you for giving me a peace of mind. I will be talking with my lawyer soon about this so I can definitely ask him and post about it later for others who have questions. Thank you!!!

Timeline
4 hours ago, Ahmed&Freda said:

There are different parts to this, Visa, AOS and citizenship there is so much to read about this on line and a mega thread here on VJ.  

For the VISA you need to prove that you can financially support the beneficiary.  You have to show that your income is sufficient and if not it may be accepted to supply a joint sponsor.   There are cases on here recently that have faced denials  for public charge at the embassy.  

Your insurance will not have any affect on the visa.  The benefit part comes into play once the beneficiary is here and they accept any public assistance.   Check on the type of benefit and state most programs for low cost/free insurance do not fall under this rule.  I don't completely understand all of the rules and regulations as I haven't been reading much on this topic.

Thank you for your response!! That is very helpful to know and I feel a lot better. Everyone has been saying different things so I was just a little confused. I’ll do more research on this subject. Thank you!! Prayers for everyone here❤️

With the new law going into effect on Nobember 3rd that requires applicants who wish to immigrate to the U.S to have medical insurance within a month of them being here, how is everyone planning on obtaining this insurance for those you guys are petitioning for before they set foot in this country? I was thinking maybe a universal insurance plan would be what they want us to apply for, but that sounds more expensive than regular insurance 🙄

Timeline
6 hours ago, NilsaNAnil said:

I plan to add my husband to my insurance. I have insurance through my job

I was reading up on this because I too plan to add my husband to my insurance  and found that American insurance companies won’t provide coverage for individuals without social security numbers. Our spouses won’t have those until after they arrive. I am not sure how long after arrival, but I would imagine social security is much like other government agencies and aren’t quick. If that is the case I don’t know how we would be able to add them to our plans before they arrive.

Edited by deab

DEAB

Hi everyone I would like to share my husband's visa story.

My husband was interviewed in Sept 2018 for his visa. The interview went great, CO was nice. She said she needs more time to process the case and give him 221g slip with administrative processing. Then the next day he got an email with questionnaire 

6 months went by with no progess on the case. I talked with different lawyers that had experience in WOMs. I finally decided to go for a WOM after 6 months. I even payed the lawyer 50 percent of the fees to start the procedure. In between the time period I had sent a 2nd congressional inquiry in which I had not received a response for a week( isb embassy responds pretty fast to congress inquiries). So I got even more worried that they didnt even reply to the congresswoman. But literally one day after I paid the lawyer for a WOM, I got a respond from the congresswoman that the embassy replied and they are requesting for a medical. It was so weird. And btw I only paid the lawyer the WOM fees he didnt do anything on my case yet nor did he make any communication with the embassy. The embassy just decided to move my husband's case on its own. I was in shock and couldn't believe it. Exactly 2 weeks of submitting medical, my husband's visa was "issued". 

So everyone, keep sending congress or senator inquiries. It helps. And for those who have been waiting for a really long time, just do a WOM. There is ntg to be afraid of if you have a valid case. Keeping you all in my prayers. Those 6 months felt like forever. I completely understand your pain.

7 hours ago, Rosepetal3333 said:

Hi everyone I would like to share my husband's visa story.

My husband was interviewed in Sept 2018 for his visa. The interview went great, CO was nice. She said she needs more time to process the case and give him 221g slip with administrative processing. Then the next day he got an email with questionnaire 

6 months went by with no progess on the case. I talked with different lawyers that had experience in WOMs. I finally decided to go for a WOM after 6 months. I even payed the lawyer 50 percent of the fees to start the procedure. In between the time period I had sent a 2nd congressional inquiry in which I had not received a response for a week( isb embassy responds pretty fast to congress inquiries). So I got even more worried that they didnt even reply to the congresswoman. But literally one day after I paid the lawyer for a WOM, I got a respond from the congresswoman that the embassy replied and they are requesting for a medical. It was so weird. And btw I only paid the lawyer the WOM fees he didnt do anything on my case yet nor did he make any communication with the embassy. The embassy just decided to move my husband's case on its own. I was in shock and couldn't believe it. Exactly 2 weeks of submitting medical, my husband's visa was "issued". 

So everyone, keep sending congress or senator inquiries. It helps. And for those who have been waiting for a really long time, just do a WOM. There is ntg to be afraid of if you have a valid case. Keeping you all in my prayers. Those 6 months felt like forever. I completely understand your pain.

Congratulations! Keep us all in your prayers 

ive sent 3 inquiries with my senator (Marco Rubio) they replied the next day saying my husband is in AP and blah blah... but he did tell me in August to contact them again if I don’t hear from Embassy by Mid October so they can send another.... so I will.

thanks for sharing your journey experience... we’ve been on AP for 15.5 months

On 10/9/2019 at 7:34 PM, deab said:

I was reading up on this because I too plan to add my husband to my insurance  and found that American insurance companies won’t provide coverage for individuals without social security numbers. Our spouses won’t have those until after they arrive. I am not sure how long after arrival, but I would imagine social security is much like other government agencies and aren’t quick. If that is the case I don’t know how we would be able to add them to our plans before they arrive.

I will look into my insurance but I think some insurance do take people with no social. I will have to look into it

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.