Daphne .

Is getting married becoming a 'technicality'?

69 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My friends could not understand my Grandad, but they did not seem to have issues with my Granny.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, Boris Farage said:

As it happens, I do have a soft spot for the northern ladies. 😉 But I'm not quite far enough in my cups to share those particular details.

My only issue with the Welsh ladies is I can't bloody understand them! 😂 And this from a man who has an ear for the Scottish brogue, or at least as far as Aberdeen. Further north than that, and forget it.

Boris, I'll be home in an hour so I can join you in some virtual Scotch drinking. We want details. 

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

My friends could not understand my Grandad, but they did not seem to have issues with my Granny.

My Welsh is coming on apace, by the way. I now know how to say a very important phrase for living in Wales:

Felly, dw i'n mynd i'r dafarn heno.

(Therefore, I am going to the pub tonight.)

Filed: IR-5 Country: England
Timeline
Just now, elmcitymaven said:

Boris, I'll be home in an hour so I can join you in some virtual Scotch drinking. We want details. 

Spent a wonderful summer in Swansea many years ago, learned a bit of sailing. Lovely country. But still could never understand the locals. 😉

-

“He’s in there fighting,” the president said. “Boris knows how to win.”

Just now, Boris Farage said:

Spent a wonderful summer in Swansea many years ago, learned a bit of sailing. Lovely country. But still could never understand the locals. 😉

Oooh, I can try out a useful Welsh phrase I just learned:

Dych chi'n hoffi Abertawe ym mis Gorffennaf?

(Do you like Swansea in July?)

Timeline
3 minutes ago, elmcitymaven said:

I'll just say I've had an on-again off-again dalliance with a very lovely northern lady. More than that, and afraid you'll be buying the drinks, and I have expensive tastes. 😉

1 minute ago, elmcitymaven said:

Oooh, I can try out a useful Welsh phrase I just learned:

Dych chi'n hoffi Abertawe ym mis Gorffennaf?

(Do you like Swansea in July?)

Sorry Maven dear, it's all Gaelic to me. 😂

-

6 minutes ago, elmcitymaven said:

I wish I could join you at this pub. Though I am not a Scotch gal, give me cider any day.

4 minutes ago, Boris Farage said:

Never had a hard time understanding someone from Wales, though I am useless at the signage. Some of the dialects to the North of England can be complex but I rather have a soft spot for it.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

8 minutes ago, elmcitymaven said:

Details! Details! 

I'm about to get on a BART bound for San Francisco so I won't catch up until l get to A's place in Cow Hollow.

3 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

I wish I could join you at this pub. Though I am not a Scotch gal, give me cider any day.

Never had a hard time understanding someone from Wales, though I am useless at the signage. Some of the dialects to the North of England can be complex but I rather have a soft spot for it.

Personally, I pretty much only drink champagne (all right, sparkling wine) these days with the occasional tumbler of Scotch when maven needs her sleepy-bye medicine. But I do love cider too -- there used to be this awesome cider pub in Pimlico called Chimes where me and Mr. Maven No. 1 used to go all the time. 

My former employer in the UK had offices in London and Darlington, so I spent a considerable amount of time up in Darlo. I am now the only person I know in this country who can understand anyone from that part of the world!

Timeline
9 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

You just haven't had the right scotch. Single malt is an absolute must. And nothing younger than, say, 14 years at a bare minimum. Invest in a 30 year old bottle of the good stuff, and you'll fall in love with it like a sixty year old man a the airport, greeting his eighteen year old... no, no, I said I would stay out of trouble, and I shall keep my word. 😉

-

Timeline
9 minutes ago, elmcitymaven said:

Personally, I pretty much only drink champagne (all right, sparkling wine) these days

No, I shan't be seen in public with you after all, dear Maven. 😉

-

No, I shan't be seen in public with you after all, dear Maven. 😉

Damn, and I was just going to ask if you'd send a car for me (I'm on the Westside, and you're... I'm guessing Beverly Hills or in some loft downtown).

Timeline
8 minutes ago, elmcitymaven said:

Damn, and I was just going to ask if you'd send a car for me (I'm on the Westside, and you're... I'm guessing Beverly Hills or in some loft downtown).

Shall I instruct the driver to look for the young lady sitting on the pavement, with a box of white wine overhead, as if drinking from a fountain? 😉

-

Shall I instruct the driver to look for the young lady sitting on the pavement, with a box of white wine overhead, as if drinking from a fountain? 😉

Not unless he's looking for maven circa 2009, when she was indeed a young lady. These days it's strictly from a glass, and box wine is verboten. Though I admit to occasionally buying wine in a can DO NOT JUDGE ME.

Timeline
Just now, elmcitymaven said:

Not unless he's looking for maven circa 2009, when she was indeed a young lady. These days it's strictly from a glass, and box wine is verboten. Though I admit to occasionally buying wine in a can DO NOT JUDGE ME.

Oh, with the bendy straws? I've seen them. Being consumed on the street. I'll try (and likely fail) not to judge, but Maven circa 2009 must be very disappointed in this lowering of standards.

-