HarisB

Is it necessary to translate chat logs between you and your significant other w/ regards to proof of ongoing relationship?

23 posts in this topic

I've spoken with someone who told me that they didn't translate their chat logs when they sent them in and they were fine (this was 5 years ago however). Based on my own research it seems like the actual text isn't very important, it's more important that i be able to show consistent communication via random excerpts from each month or something like that.

Would someone else be able to confirm for me if it's fine to provide chat logs in my fiances native language?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Feels like the fourth time just today this question has been asked.

Proof of ongoing relationship is not a requirement for the petition to be approved.  You might consider concentrating on providing better evidence that this

YMMV

4 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Feels like the fourth time just today this question has been asked.

Proof of ongoing relationship is not a requirement for the petition to be approved.  You might consider concentrating on providing better evidence that this

I have other evidence, i'm also looking to include this.

So your response doesn't exactly help me in any way, thanks though.

Timeline
1 minute ago, HarisB said:

I have other evidence, i'm also looking to include this.

So your response doesn't exactly help me in any way, thanks though.

It should because if it is not required why are you including it?  The only thing it will accomplish is making your petition longer to approve because they have to sort through all the unneeded stuff.  Be guided accordingly.

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I've heard that it is just considered fluff and does not hold much merit, because chat logs can easily be faked.

Although, I included them in mine to a front load for a high fraud consulate, it probably isn't worth much.

Letters with stamps and dates are better if you have those. :)

Good luck.

6 minutes ago, payxibka said:

It should because if it is not required why are you including it?  The only thing it will accomplish is making your petition longer to approve because they have to sort through all the unneeded stuff.  Be guided accordingly.

https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

literally mentions including proof of ongoing relationship here as something helpful but alright.

Edited by HarisB

Timeline
1 minute ago, HarisB said:

literally mentions including proof of ongoing relationship here as something helpful but alright.

Check the actual instructions to the form.  The instructions make no mention of this for the petition.  Plenty of empirical and anecdotal evidence to prove that it is not a petition requirement.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

If you send it to USCIS, it must be translated........I would not even send it initially......it is not needed, and you should never leave any room for ambiguity.....

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
34 minutes ago, HarisB said:

Would someone else be able to confirm for me if it's fine to provide chat logs in my fiances native language?

The people at USCIS don't translate documents.....what could your case benefit by including text message which the reviewer can not read?  It seems to me that I, as a reviewer, would either trash the foreign language documents, or send you an RFE !

I would advise against sending them at all.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I added photos of screenshots of our Whatsap chats, and they are in French language, and I did not care to translate them. What the heck.

Their purpose is to show the ONGOING communication between the couple. Nobody at USCIS is going to read those chats, anyway.

If the chats do not carry any weight in proving a bonafide relationship, they are not going to harm our case, either.

7 hours ago, HarisB said:

Frontloading relationship evidence is useful in certain circumstances. It is useless in others.

For completeness, it's not part of the I-129F petitioning process...it's only useful if the CO at the consulate reviews the case prior to the interview.

6 hours ago, portorusa said:

I added photos of screenshots of our Whatsap chats, and they are in French language, and I did not care to translate them. What the heck.

Their purpose is to show the ONGOING communication between the couple. Nobody at USCIS is going to read those chats, anyway.

If the chats do not carry any weight in proving a bonafide relationship, they are not going to harm our case, either.

To clarify, USCIS doesn't address the bona fide relationship aspect for an I-129F. Only the CO at the consulate will do that. USCIS just adjudicates the petition, which is about one's eligability to petition the beneficiary.

I would just add that it certainly is possible to submit chats that harm a case. I've seen it done. For example, submitting chats referring to each other as husband/wife, etc. can be used to determine that you are ineligible due to not establishing that you are free to marry.

The key is making sure you only submit evidence that helps your case. This is by far the most powerful tool you have as a petitioner or visa applicant...you decide a good portion of what they see.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Any type of evidence you send to USCIS, anecdotal or not, must be translated if you expect them to read it. It's pretty self explanatory especially since USCIS asks that required evidence to be translated. 

As others have said, it is not a requirement to send this type of evidence. I know people who only sent the required documentation with their petitions and were approved. One of which is from Syria, who was approved before Trump's ban. Their petition was approved without any RFE. I know the couple personally, in fact when I traveled to Jordan for my own husband's interview, I hand delivered original documents to the husband in Amman because at the time Syrian interviews were taking place there. Her Syrian husband did not have an address in Syria to receive mail because of the war and it just so happened his interview was the day before my husband's. His visa was also approved the day of the interview. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Seems like an awful waste of time to put together chat logs never mind go through the effort to have them translated. If you send them in not translated it just acts as further evidence USCIS does not read them as everything should be in English for them. If translated and at a rare chance someone does take the time to read them they could end up picking them apart. The way I see it is chats should remain private and it is pretty weak evidence. 

Focus on trips you have had together, passport stamps, boarding passes (stuff that is dated) and letters of intent to marry in 90 days. This is what they want to see. 

K1 Visa (232 Days):

Spoiler

I-129F submitted - 28th July 2018

NOA1 - 2nd Aug 2018

NOA2 - 26th Dec 2018

NVC received - 14th Jan 2019

NVC case assigned - 22nd Jan 2019

Booked medical - 25th Jan 2019

NVC left - 5th Feb 2019

Embassy received - 8th Feb 2019

DS-160 submitted + booked interview  - 12th Feb 2019

Medical -  22nd Feb 2019

Interview - 22nd Mar 2019 - Approved!

Visa Issued - 27th March 2019

Visa in hand - 29th March 2019

US Entry - 12th May 2019 - Dublin

Married- June 2019 💕

AOS:

Spoiler

I-485, I-765 & I-131 submitted - 24th July 2019

Cheque cashed - 1st August 2019

3 NOA’s received - 31st July 2019

Biometrics - 21st August 2019

Interview - 28th Feb 2020

Approved - 3rd Mar 2020

Card received - 11th Mar 2020

ROC:

Spoiler

I-751 submitted - 15th Feb 2022

Case received - 17th Feb 2022

Text received - 22nd Feb 2022

NOA received in mail - 2nd Mar 2022 (Dated 22nd Feb 2022)

Case updated to Fingerprints were taken - 28th Mar 2022 (No Biometrics done)

Case updated to New Card Being Produced - 7th April 2023

N-400:

Spoiler

Submitted online - 4th Mar 2023

NOA dated- 5th Mar 2023

Biometrics Scheduled - 11th Mar 2023

Biometrics - 27th Mar 2023

Interview - ?

Oath Ceremony - ?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Hmmm.  I always took chats to be the 21st century version of letters they used to request as proof.

I will go against the grain and say it’s not a waste of time necessarily but as always it depends on the consulate.

No don’t send every chat. Just a snapshot of an exchange per week.  I didn’t translate ours and the instructions for letters don’t say to translate them as they aren’t documents like civil documents.  They’re interested in the dates and not the content.  

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

From the I-129f instructions.  Feel like I am posting this every day.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf

Translations. If you submit a document with information in a foreign language, you must also submit a full English translation. The translator must sign a certification that the English language translation is complete and accurate, and that he or she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English. The certification should also include the date, the translator’s signature and printed name, and may contain the translator’s contact information.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.