Loveofmyife

Should we wait for 2 weeks before applying for SSN in New York?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 4/16/2019 at 8:54 AM, Letspaintcookies said:

Check that DL thing cause from what I know things are different when you're immigrating than from using the DL as tourist. I wouldnt be too sure that her license is really valid for that time

Thanks! And yes that's a good point, we'll research and see what's best-- I'll share here what I find out. 

Timeline
On 4/16/2019 at 8:43 AM, C90 said:

DL: Yes, but check the state rules. Some states only allow to get a DL once there's an EAD/green card. I think NYC only allows to get your DL with EAD/green card

Bank account: Depends on the bank. Our bank (capital one) needed my SSN for me to open an account, but they did allow my husband to add me as a authorized user on his cc without SSN. Know there's banks out there that don't need SSN

Health insurance: Usually yes if you want to add her to yours, but check your health insurance. Some apparently don't need it (my husbands health insurance did need it)

Thanks! That authorized user is definitely a good option if need be,  I'm preparing as it will be so hard for her to move around New York without access to our bank account. 

Timeline
On 4/16/2019 at 9:08 AM, Cyberfx1024 said:

1. You should be able to do this without issue. 

2. Same as #1. 

3. Get the SSN first then get married. 

4. You can certainly do this but I do not know how long it takes to get the marriage license back in NYC. So try and do #2 first. 

Great! Thanks for the insight, the process is getting clear now and everyone had been so helpful. It's very much appreciated.

Timeline
On 4/16/2019 at 8:43 AM, C90 said:

DL: Yes, but check the state rules. Some states only allow to get a DL once there's an EAD/green card. I think NYC only allows to get your DL with EAD/green card

Bank account: Depends on the bank. Our bank (capital one) needed my SSN for me to open an account, but they did allow my husband to add me as a authorized user on his cc without SSN. Know there's banks out there that don't need SSN

Health insurance: Usually yes if you want to add her to yours, but check your health insurance. Some apparently don't need it (my husbands health insurance did need it)

Thanks so much for all these insight

Timeline
On 4/16/2019 at 11:08 AM, HP+IC said:

Marriage license is fast in NYC. Bank doesn't always need SSN, at least not the one we plan to deal with. Insurance doesn't always need SSN for a major family change. We are going to get married in a week after my arrival, say Friday arrived, Wednesday filed and got the license, Friday got married. Then file for the whole bunch at once. 

Great! Yes we want to do everything within a week or so, I'l call my bank, Thanks!

Timeline
On 4/16/2019 at 11:34 AM, Mike E said:

This is the order of events I recommend, which has worked for us (in California):

1. The day of or after point of entry (POE), enroll your fiancee into your employer's health insurance as a domestic partner. This is a life event and can be done outside open enrollment. They will ask for an SSN, but they cannot require one.

2. Wait 2-10 working days after point of entry (POE) and then apply for social security card. We waited 2 days to apply, and the card arrived 10 days after application. Do not get married until after you apply. So many times we read on visajourney about SS offices who refuse to process a SSN application if the K-1 is married.

3. After you apply for SS card, get married in a county where the marriage certificate takes no more than a week to arrive. Do not change her name. There is plenty of time for name changes after she gets her green card.

4. Upgrade your domestic partner to a spouse in your employer's health insurance.  Another life event outside open enrollment.

5. After the SS card and marriage cert arrives, apply for state ID. California requires proof of residency. A marriage cert has an address. That plus proof of residence of the USA citizen spouse is enough for California to grant residency. Bring the letter from the SSA office that delivered the SS card too. Surprisingly, my wife got a California state ID good for several years, and not several months. Regardless, there are stories on visajourney about DMVs denying cards to people who apply 59 days or less before the K-1 visa expires. We applied at T minus 61 days.

6. Add you wife's SSN to your company health insurance.

7. Open a joint bank account. This has to be done in person IME. No online applications for non-LPRs/non-USCs.

8. Check your wife's credit score on line, and after you get a score, add your wife to your utility bill by phone. If you don't get a score, go to the utility office to add her.

9. Apply for AOS, EAD, AP. Use the health insurance card, utility bill, and bank account statement, and state ID as among the proof that she lives with you as your wife.

Great! Thanks so much Mika! This is a great timeline hopefully it works in New York. I think I should start filling up the AOS forms in draft especially that time is key for us. I very much appreciate the insight, Thanks all!

Timeline
On 4/16/2019 at 12:11 PM, DaveAndAnastasia said:

Check with your employer's rules on this. Mine would have needed documentation that we'd been living together for a year for this, so it wasn't worth trying to enroll Anastasia on my insurance until after we married (even if we hadn't married within a few days of POE).

Thanks, I'll definitely make phone calls now, I really want her to be in my health coverage the soonest, Thanks for the insight

Timeline
7 hours ago, C90 said:

Ok Just to clarify:

1.Apply for SSN under her maiden name

2. Get married-- where she takes my last name

3. Apply for AOS Greencard with her married name/my last name

4. Change with SSN after AOS Application to change her maiden name to my last name , and with married status?

I hope this is the right step, we will do everything within a week or so of her arrival---Thanks so much 

42 minutes ago, Loveofmyife said:

Ok Just to clarify:

4. Change with SSN after AOS Application to change her maiden name to my last name , and with married status?

I hope this is the right step, we will do everything within a week or so of her arrival---Thanks so much 

This is the right steps to take with least amount of headache involved.

We have seen people wait until day 75 of the 90 days allotted to try an get a SSN, then they get denied due to not enough time left on their allotted amount of authorized stay. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
6 hours ago, Loveofmyife said:

Ok Just to clarify:

Yup. You could also change the name on her SSN right after marriage (so before EAD/GC), as long as her I-94 is not expiring for another 2-3 weeks. I know there's people who got refused at the SSN office, but it worked for me and some other people I know :)  Trying can never hurt. And when you apply for jobs, the name on the SSN needs to match the name on the EAD (at least that was the case for me)

Edited by C90

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
On 4/16/2019 at 8:34 AM, Loveofmyife said:

Hi C90!

Thanks so much for the very valuable insight-- this is great as off the top my head, I know we need her SSN to put her in my health insurance, open up a bank account and apply for a driver's license? not sure... Thanks so much, it's very much appreciated C90

Get that social security # the second day that she is here !!!!!!!! Don't make the mistake I did .. big problems!

A
I-129F Sent : 2017-06-25

I-129F NOA1 :

I-129F RFE GENERATED

I-129F RFE sent back

I-129F RFE RCVD by USCIS
I-129F NOA2:    2018-04-11

2017-06-29

2018-02-15 

2018-02-28

2018-03-01

NVC Received Date:               2018-04-20       

NVC Case No. assigned:       2018-04-30

NVC Depart Date:                    2018-05-16

Interview Date:                        2018-07-26

Interview Result:                     APPROVED

Visa Received:                         2018-08-03

Arrival Date:                             2018-08-27

AOS filed:                                 2019-02-28

Biometric Appt:                       2019-03-27

AOS Interview:                        2019-08-06

Result: Approved

Green Card Received             2019-08-21

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.