hello

K1 for dual national(not currently living in the US)

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

thanks everyone for all your help. it all seems so hard!

could i just ask one more question - would it be possible to go over the the US on vacation - get married and then within the 90 days sort out all the AOS and EAD and such. This would allow us both to be over in the states while i get a new job and we can set up our lives together much easier. Is this possible? is it even legal? Any help on this one?

thanks.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
thanks everyone for all your help. it all seems so hard!

could i just ask one more question - would it be possible to go over the the US on vacation - get married and then within the 90 days sort out all the AOS and EAD and such. This would allow us both to be over in the states while i get a new job and we can set up our lives together much easier. Is this possible? is it even legal? Any help on this one?

thanks.

No. You are suggesting visa fraud. You cannot legally enter the US on a tourist, student or business visa with the intention of both marrying and staying to adjust status.

May I suggest you read the guides and the other numerous posts and threads on the same subject that we see here nearly daily, and multiple times some days.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 1 year later...

Since you are planning to move to the US in the new year and have a job lined up from what I understand, your best bet is absolutely to get married in the UK and file the I-130 petition at the London USCIS office before leaving for the US. Then when the interview stage comes a few months down the road, you will be set up in the US with US income and able to sponsor her. So to keep things clear for yourself, I would focus on the DCF (direct consular filing) guide and the DCF forum. She will be getting the CR1 immigrant visa.

EDIT - Also, like pushbrk said earlier, you should backfile tax returns for the past three years. You won't owe money if you haven't earned more than the equivalent of about $82,000 USD a year in any of the past three years, but you still have to file and exclude your foreign income. www.irs.gov or the US embassy IRS people can help you. It's not as scary as it might seem at first. :)

Edited by MargotDarko

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.