mawilson

Saving disk space

61 posts in this topic

I'm just curious.. why is the Blue Boxes and Hearts topic such a "hot" topic? Is it really such a big thorn on people's side? Is anyone being harmed by it being in Off Topic?

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You are knocking a 600 page thread where people of all Races, Religions, Ages and Cultures can come together, accept and support each other? And do it in a peaceful manner I might add. No matter who we are or where we come from, the fact is we are all on VisaJourney and all share a common goal.

VisaJourney is a discussion board. We discuss. Sometimes it is serious, sometimes not. I have learned so much being here. This site is bang on for finding out what you need to know about the Immigration process. Trying to find out about US Immigration was like pulling teeth- torture. Everyone gave me and my husband a different answer to any question we asked- and most of them didn't even care what we were going though. VisaJourney was an amazing find that saved my sanity. Well as much as it could be saved anyway.

Frankly Mawilson, I was a little stunned that you started this thread. Deleting posts that have been left untouched for months, years, I can understand that. But why name threads that are active in use and people have fun? Who cares if some them some of them are silly, stupid and useless in some people opinions? To many of us, they are silly and fun and useless and we have a great time with that. With so much fighting that goes on in these boards (VisaJourney is definately better than some I have seen though) why put down the fun happy threads? I have seen your posts, I have laughed at your posts, you post as much crazy, silly stuff as any of us do.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Is it YOUR space or the Captain's ?

Edited by Nagishkaw

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Timeline
600 pages is a bit excessive & a waste of space, no?

:wacko:

Compared to what? Hundreds of threads of people fighting and attacking each other?

Don't attack me, I'm just saying (almost) everyone on here would agree 600 pages is a bit excessive.

Fighting threads never get bigger than 10 or so pages anyhow. A far cry from 600+.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
600 pages is a bit excessive & a waste of space, no?

:wacko:

Compared to what? Hundreds of threads of people fighting and attacking each other?

Don't attack me, I'm just saying (almost) everyone on here would agree 600 pages is a bit excessive.

Fighting threads never get bigger than 10 or so pages anyhow. A far cry from 600+.

That wasn't attacking you at all.

If you need more space on this board, I would be happy to help you find ones that can be removed. Not only the fighting ones, but repeated questions. Keep the few that have the best and most accurate answers for the search option and delete the rest. Almost everyday a Newbie asks "what is a touch" I laugh, I know I posted and asked.

But the real question, is this board actually running out of space? Or is this a deeper issue?

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
The "useless thread" that you talk about has given me support and courage to face this painful process. Isn't VJ supposed to be all about that?

Sure, but 600 pages??? C'mon, that's just pure abuse. Why not just use chat, if you're going

to exchange monosyllabic sentences?

Anyway, I'm not saying the threads should be *deleted* -- only marked potentially deletable.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline
Frankly Mawilson, I was a little stunned that you started this thread. Deleting posts that have been left untouched for months, years, I can understand that. But why name threads that are active in use and people have fun?

You misunderstood. I'm not suggesting anyone should DELETE the threads that are in active use;

only MARK them as "low signal-to-noise ratio" so when they DO become idle, they can be deleted

to reclaim disk space (if need be.)

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

It's my space and your space and everybody else's space. I have no problems with any threads,

except when they cause the database to grow large and vulnerable to data loss and corruption.

I still remember what happened to the old forums when the database got corrupted and I lost many

posts that were dear to me. I don't want to lose the database because of some stupid "guess the

celebrity" thread that no-one will EVER read again.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Just an FYI -- the file space of the database is just fine and there is no need to worry. Space savings is always welcome but there is no immediate need.

Frankly Mawilson, I was a little stunned that you started this thread. Deleting posts that have been left untouched for months, years, I can understand that. But why name threads that are active in use and people have fun?

You misunderstood. I'm not suggesting anyone should DELETE the threads that are in active use;

only MARK them as "low signal-to-noise ratio" so when they DO become idle, they can be deleted

to reclaim disk space (if need be.)

This would always be a good filter for say pruning things back that are older than a few years. I would certainly prune off topic before other forums for example but probably nothing newer than three years.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

It's my space and your space and everybody else's space. I have no problems with any threads,

except when they cause the database to grow large and vulnerable to data loss and corruption.

I still remember what happened to the old forums when the database got corrupted and I lost many

posts that were dear to me. I don't want to lose the database because of some stupid "guess the

It is true that a very large database is hard to manage and requires more beef under the hood. In fact we needed a new server to ensure things ran smoothly. Hopefully we are well ahead of the ball right now and will not be underpowered in the forseeable future (undepowered plus a big dB are a bad combo).

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I just wanted to mention that I started that stupid Guess the Celebrity thread back in Jan 2006, it has gone back a few pages a few times but every few months I bring it back and lots of people play the game.... it is a fun way to waste our time :P.... and it is not done to post boost...... :P

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif