Sherlock

Bringing Mom in Law to US

9 posts in this topic

Re-post due to recent archive.

Well, on Monday my Mother in Law was denied a tourist Visa for the 3rd time. Unfortunately, she's a victim of stereotyping, and the consuls don't seem to have the latitude to consider individual circumstances. She's retired, widowed, and my wife is her only child, so the consul can't believe that she won't overstay her visa, even though she has no desire to live in the US. Unfortunately also lives in a country that has a high incidence of visa fraud. She owns property in her own country and rents out apartments, but the consul says she could be a landlord just as easily from the states. Very frustrating.

Anyway, have been reading through the requirements to bring her over on an immigrant visa, which seems to be the only way to get her here. I think I understand stuff, just would appreciate some confirmation from someone who knows:

1. I believe that I cannot sponsor my mother in law, that we have to wait until my wife completes naturalization, then she can sponsor?

2. I believe that as long as she does not intend to become a citizen, there are no residency requirements once my MIL gets her greencard? Once she gets her greencard, she can continue to live in her home country, and just come and go as she pleases to the US?

Just looking for verification. Still have a couple years before wifey becomes citizen, so have time, but want to be prepared.

--------------------

Naturalization Timeline

28 JUL 2007 - Sent N-400 and supporting documentation

20 AUG 2007 - Bank Website indicates check has been cashed

15 NOV 2007 - Received NOA

28 NOV 2007 - Received Biometrics Appointment letter

18 DEC 2007 - Biometrics Appointment

14 MAR 2008 - Received Interview Appointment letter

05 APR 2008 - Interview (Baltimore) SUCCESS!!

14 APR 2008 - Citizenship Oath

17 APR 2008 - Applied for US Passport

03 May 2008 - US Passport Received!!!

**Any comments or advice given by me is based on the circumstances of my specific case, and does not infer an in-depth knowledge of immigration law.**

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, on Monday my Mother in Law was denied a tourist Visa for the 3rd time. Unfortunately, she's a victim of stereotyping, and the consuls don't seem to have the latitude to consider individual circumstances. She's retired, widowed, and my wife is her only child, so the consul can't believe that she won't overstay her visa, even though she has no desire to live in the US. Unfortunately also lives in a country that has a high incidence of visa fraud. She owns property in her own country and rents out apartments, but the consul says she could be a landlord just as easily from the states. Very frustrating.

Anyway, have been reading through the requirements to bring her over on an immigrant visa, which seems to be the only way to get her here. I think I understand stuff, just would appreciate some confirmation from someone who knows:

1. I believe that I cannot sponsor my mother in law, that we have to wait until my wife completes naturalization, then she can sponsor?

2. I believe that as long as she does not intend to become a citizen, there are no residency requirements once my MIL gets her greencard? Once she gets her greencard, she can continue to live in her home country, and just come and go as she pleases to the US?

Just looking for verification. Still have a couple years before wifey becomes citizen, so have time, but want to be prepared.

1. Yes... Only your wife can sponsor her mother.

2. She can come and go as she pleases yes... However, she could run into inssues concerning abandonment. She must keep her primary domicile in the US, pay taxes in the US as a resident, have a DL in the US, in essence she needs to become a resident of the US... So no.. she can't use a GC as an end around in getting a B visa.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

It takes a very long time to bring family members here from the Philippines, in some cases over 20 years.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, she can only petition when she becomes a citizen

* If you are a US Citizen you may petition for the following foreign national relatives to immigrate to the United States; however you must be able to provide proof of the relationships:

o Husband or wife;

o Unmarried child under 21 years old;

o Unmarried son or daughter over 21;

o Married son or daughter of any age;

o Brother or sister, if you are at least 21 years old; or

o Parent, if you are at least 21 years old.

* If you are a lawful permanent resident you may petition for the following foreign national relatives to immigrate to the United States; however you must be able to provide proof of the relationships:

o Husband or wife; or

o Unmarried son or daughter of any age.

I'm not sure about 20 years though, since parents of US citizens are considered immediate relatives and do not need to wait for a visa number to become available.

"The immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, which includes parents, spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21, do not have to wait for an immigrant visa number to become available once the visa petition filed for them is approved by the USCIS."

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Filed: Timeline

Sherlock,

The consular officer is quite correct about being an absentee landlord.

1. Let's be careful to understand what we mean by 'sponsor'. You cannot petition for your mother-in-law, but you can join in sponsoring her financially as a household member of your wife.

2. As to the 'Green Card', maybe calling it by it's proper name would have saved you the need to ask this question. It's the Permanent Resident card, Permanent Resident being a status that means exactly what the term says - permanently resident. If Mom keeps her permanent residence in the Philippines rather than in the USA, as you indicate, she abandons her LPR status.

Yodrak

• 2 months later...
It takes a very long time to bring family members here from the Philippines, in some cases over 20 years.

Is this true for parents as well? I read somewhere that parents don't have to wait for a visa #, and that processing takes about 6 months to a year.

*** My Mom's N-400 Journey ***

05/09/2015 - Mailed N-400 application packet to the Phoenix, AZ lockbox

05/11/2015 - Delivered per USPS tracking

05/14/2015 - Check cashed

05/19/2015 - Received NOA

06/02/2015 - Biometrics Appointment

06/04/2015 - In line

08/06/2015 - Interview scheduled per USCIS website

09/11/2015 - Interview - PASSED!

09/18/2015 - Received oath letter

09/22/2015 - Oath Ceremony

Parents of USCs are automatically granted immigrant visa #s. Processing time will depend on how quickly the service center can turn the I-130 around and send it to the embassy where the beneficiary is residing.

My sister in CA petitioned our parents and they received their notice to appear for interview at the US Embassy within 6 months. Don't know how long other service centers are taking.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Parents of USCs are automatically granted immigrant visa #s. Processing time will depend on how quickly the service center can turn the I-130 around and send it to the embassy where the beneficiary is residing.

My sister in CA petitioned our parents and they received their notice to appear for interview at the US Embassy within 6 months. Don't know how long other service centers are taking.

Thanks eau! I knew I read that somewhere. It does makes sense to expedite parents petition, I don't think old folks can wait 10-20 years to get approved. :o

*** My Mom's N-400 Journey ***

05/09/2015 - Mailed N-400 application packet to the Phoenix, AZ lockbox

05/11/2015 - Delivered per USPS tracking

05/14/2015 - Check cashed

05/19/2015 - Received NOA

06/02/2015 - Biometrics Appointment

06/04/2015 - In line

08/06/2015 - Interview scheduled per USCIS website

09/11/2015 - Interview - PASSED!

09/18/2015 - Received oath letter

09/22/2015 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.