DanielPlainview

Packet 4 Question - Intake Window Documents

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

So we rec'd the Packet 4 email today, and noticed a couple of things I have not seen before.   (see below)    

1.  The checklist below differs significantly from the checklist included on Packet 4 instructions...which is far more comprehensive. Does anyone have experience with what they actually collect or request at the intake window?   

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/k-packet-4-appointment-march-2019-english.pd

2.   Below they request W-2's, while the Packet 3 and Packet 4 instructions do not.   Anyone know if they are looking for W-2 at the intake window?   (i don't like emailing anything with my SSN)

3.   Below they request only the tax transcript and W-2, and do not appear to Affidavit of Support (which contains the assets that make up the important component of my financial support).   Can anyone clarify why? 

In general, I just find it unusual that this new emailed checklist, does not match the packet 4 checklist.   I'm guessing that they updated one and not the other, but looking for people with firsthand experience.   I'm sure the experience may have differed among applicants.

image.thumb.png.8ca3597b889fcd982df8d3f9bedaa3c3.png

Timeline
10 hours ago, DanielPlainview said:

So we rec'd the Packet 4 email today, and noticed a couple of things I have not seen before.   (see below)    

1.  The checklist below differs significantly from the checklist included on Packet 4 instructions...which is far more comprehensive. Does anyone have experience with what they actually collect or request at the intake window?   

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/k-packet-4-appointment-march-2019-english.pd

2.   Below they request W-2's, while the Packet 3 and Packet 4 instructions do not.   Anyone know if they are looking for W-2 at the intake window?   (i don't like emailing anything with my SSN)

3.   Below they request only the tax transcript and W-2, and do not appear to Affidavit of Support (which contains the assets that make up the important component of my financial support).   Can anyone clarify why? 

In general, I just find it unusual that this new emailed checklist, does not match the packet 4 checklist.   I'm guessing that they updated one and not the other, but looking for people with firsthand experience.   I'm sure the experience may have differed among applicants.

image.thumb.png.8ca3597b889fcd982df8d3f9bedaa3c3.png

I don't recall the specifics, but I submitted 3 years of w-2's, 3 years of transcripts, and the bank letter. I wasn't able to aquire the employment letter due to internal company bureaucracy, but the embassy did not say anything about it.

Chok dee

Timeline

Many thanks John.   I'm retired and more than enough in reported assets on the affidavit of support, so just hoping that they use the Packet three, which give a more complete picture than the docs they specify in this crazy Packet 4 email.

Thanks again.

Timeline

My wife's K1 Visa was approved with my Affidavit of Support consisting primary of bank assets to meet the property guideline requirements.    For evidence I provided 3 years IRS transcripts and letters from Banking institutions documenting cash assets.   I did not provide any W2s as I am retired as well.

If your assets are liquid and reasonably exceed the poverty guidelines, I do not believe you have anything to worry about.

Timeline
25 minutes ago, JoelThai said:

My wife's K1 Visa was approved with my Affidavit of Support consisting primary of bank assets to meet the property guideline requirements.    For evidence I provided 3 years IRS transcripts and letters from Banking institutions documenting cash assets.   I did not provide any W2s as I am retired as well.

If your assets are liquid and reasonably exceed the poverty guidelines, I do not believe you have anything to worry about.

Thanks for the info Joel.   I think you're exactly right, and although I've provided only the most recent tax transcript, my bank assets will meet the required guidelines.    Do you have any recollection of what they requested in the Package 4 for presentation at the intake window?   Or maybe you still have a record of that email?  Although I'm confident there won't be a financial issue, I find the discrepancy between Package 4 email and Package 4 instructions on the embassy website perplexing.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, DanielPlainview said:

Thanks for the info Joel.   I think you're exactly right, and although I've provided only the most recent tax transcript, my bank assets will meet the required guidelines.    Do you have any recollection of what they requested in the Package 4 for presentation at the intake window?   Or maybe you still have a record of that email?  Although I'm confident there won't be a financial issue, I find the discrepancy between Package 4 email and Package 4 instructions on the embassy website perplexing.

My fiance said at the first window they will review your packet 3 and return the original birth certificate to her and then will ask to see packet 4 for the evidence of relationship among the other things asked for.

Timeline
1 hour ago, John951 said:

My fiance said at the first window they will review your packet 3 and return the original birth certificate to her and then will ask to see packet 4 for the evidence of relationship among the other things asked for.

2 hours ago, JoelThai said:

Many thanks gents.   Particularly helpful information John, with regard to what they are collecting at the windows.   I read both of your interview summaries just now, and that was also very helpful.   Upon further review of the email, it seems that they emphasize bringing the things listed in the email above, but then go on to note "you're still responsible for bringing everything else showing in Packet 4".    She has it all very organized, same as your fiancees so that should give her the confidence.

Edited by DanielPlainview

Timeline

I just checked our Packet 4 documents and I see my Wife had the same check list set of instructions sent to her in Sept 2018 that you posted (i.e.:   I confirm that I have registered in Global Support Strategy (GSS)...

Anyway, generally my impressions is Packet 4 is basically similar (if not the same as) Packet 3, but is to include the original versions of documents (Birth Certificate, Payment Slip from Krung Sri, Single Status letter, English Translations, etc) along with supplemental evidence of continued relationship.   I imagine one of the purposes of Packet 4 is to validate the authenticity of the copies that were sent with Packet 3.   If I recall, the only original document specifically requested in Packet 3 was the infamous Police Certificate which was not returned after the interview.  

Per your question relating to the Affidavit of Support, we did include a full copy of the I-134 and supporting documents (Tax Transcripts and Bank Letters) with the Packet 4.

All Packet 4 materials brought to the interview were returned to her minus the Medical Package supplied to her after the Medical Evaluation (a copy of the DS3025 Vaccination report from the Medical Package was also returned to her at the interview).  They also returned the Passport Photos which are requested in the letter you refer to.  I was surprised by that, but I guess they did not manage to loose the ones sent in Packet 3 and decided they did not need more of them. 😉.  

And of course you will hope they keep her Passport so they can put the Visa inside and mail back to her about a week later.   So, just bring everything they are asking for (where appropriate, i.e. no W-2s if you are retired).   I hope your fiancee gets a thumbs up and a smile at the end of her interview.   If everything is in order, it should all go very quickly.  Good luck to you!

Edited by JoelThai

Timeline
8 hours ago, JoelThai said:

I just checked our Packet 4 documents and I see my Wife had the same check list set of instructions sent to her in Sept 2018 that you posted (i.e.:   I confirm that I have registered in Global Support Strategy (GSS)...

Anyway, generally my impressions is Packet 4 is basically similar (if not the same as) Packet 3, but is to include the original versions of documents (Birth Certificate, Payment Slip from Krung Sri, Single Status letter, English Translations, etc) along with supplemental evidence of continued relationship.   I imagine one of the purposes of Packet 4 is to validate the authenticity of the copies that were sent with Packet 3.   If I recall, the only original document specifically requested in Packet 3 was the infamous Police Certificate which was not returned after the interview.  

Per your question relating to the Affidavit of Support, we did include a full copy of the I-134 and supporting documents (Tax Transcripts and Bank Letters) with the Packet 4.

All Packet 4 materials brought to the interview were returned to her minus the Medical Package supplied to her after the Medical Evaluation (a copy of the DS3025 Vaccination report from the Medical Package was also returned to her at the interview).  They also returned the Passport Photos which are requested in the letter you refer to.  I was surprised by that, but I guess they did not manage to loose the ones sent in Packet 3 and decided they did not need more of them. 😉.  

And of course you will hope they keep her Passport so they can put the Visa inside and mail back to her about a week later.   So, just bring everything they are asking for (where appropriate, i.e. no W-2s if you are retired).   I hope your fiancee gets a thumbs up and a smile at the end of her interview.   If everything is in order, it should all go very quickly.  Good luck to you!

Outstanding!   Many thanks for the additional info.......and you did a a great interview summary as well.  Yeah, we're on for April 3.  I can think of absolutely no reason why this would not be a slam dunk, but having had two prior rejections for tourist visas, the doubt sticks in spite of the fact that we have been exceptionally cautious and thorough.   The tourist visas were rejected for a lack of ties to Thailand...........primarily they just didn't like her job teaching.  For me, April 3 is the most critical component of the entire process.

Thanks again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.