Jen Canterbury

K1 visa denied

66 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

I know it seems unfair, especially if you are in fact a legitimate couple, but it is the nature of the beast. Immigration is a privilege, not a right. And unfortunately, though no fault of your own, Nigeria is a high fraud country - and usually with scenarios where the woman is much older than the man and the man is the beneficiary. With that in mind, COs have to be extra cautious and particular when reviewing these cases, and with any amount of red flags, a denial is highly probable.

With the age difference and lack of face time (two average-length visits may not have been enough), this is most likely the reason for the denial. As others have said - even if you get married and attempt a CR1, these red flags will not go away. I would suggest as much more face time together in person as possible before going that route, if you do. It's still not a guarantee, but will put you in a much better position than the first go around.

What got them denied is inaccurate information which is ambiguous at best.  The 221g has been deleted so i don't remember the exact wording but it is a troublesome statement 

YMMV

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Jen Canterbury said:

Paul & Mallory, 

He is Nigeria, but currently living in Tbilisi Georgia 🇬🇪 is where we applied for the visa.

But he is a citizen of Nigeria still correct? The embassy takes this into account, and rightfully so. For instance, people from the Philippines have a hard time getting a tourist visa, they will have just as difficult a time in another country because of their citizenship. Just being in another country doesn't "bypass" the high fraud aspect from Nigeria. It isn't the embassies fault, it's the fault of all the others before who played the system. That's why things are so difficult for some countries. Again, more face time in person will help if you pursue a spousal visa, otherwise will probably result in same issue.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
11 minutes ago, payxibka said:

What got them denied is inaccurate information which is ambiguous at best.  The 221g has been deleted so i don't remember the exact wording but it is a troublesome statement 

I must have missed that before it got deleted. The age gap, given the high fraud country, may have still played a factor.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Timeline

Just to note, a lot of people try to get to another country legally to then gain access to the US. Not implying or saying this is the case here, but the embassies are aware of this tactic. Thinking it is easier from another country.

Been people here on VJ who have asked exact question even about if it would improve their chances or not. 

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
Just now, Paul & Mallory said:

I must have missed that before it got deleted. The age gap, given the high fraud country, may have still played a factor.

No doubt as I am sure it is well known across the consulate world about Lagos

YMMV

19 hours ago, Ben&Zian said:

That probably is main reason. Large age gaps with the female USC being older, and it not being a normal thing in the beneficiaries country is a red flag.

How many times did you visit him and how long each trip? With any red flags, more time spent in person is essential for success.

Oh god.. now I am freaking out. 😨

Packet Sent 10/18

Delivered to Lockbox 10/21

Fee Paid 10/25

NOA1 10/25 

Just now, payxibka said:

Why?

Because I am 39 and he is 25. 

Packet Sent 10/18

Delivered to Lockbox 10/21

Fee Paid 10/25

NOA1 10/25 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
2 minutes ago, msrodriguez said:

That's nothing you will be fine. I know a few from DR with way bigger that had no issues.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline
2 minutes ago, msrodriguez said:

No proof that age difference was the reason for the denial as that is all conjecture.  Your fact pattern does not match the OP's.  Particularly of difference is the culture of the applicant and the interviewing consulate

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jen Canterbury said:

Don’t you will be one of the lucky ones and get i, keep a positive attitude.🙏🏽🙏🏽 I really don’t think it’s the age but something he said.

I would agree as if it was "age" played in the reason would more likely have been a "lack of a bonafide relationship" versus innacuracies

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.