ceriserose

The Canuck Clearinghouse Thread

94 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So DCF still took around 6 months!! Thought it would be faster than that!! Guess things have really slowed down in Mtl!! I went the traditional way and had my cr-1 in 6 months! Guess its taking over a yr now!! How times chg!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
So DCF still took around 6 months!! Thought it would be faster than that!! Guess things have really slowed down in Mtl!! I went the traditional way and had my cr-1 in 6 months! Guess its taking over a yr now!! How times chg!

Yeah.. the IR unit in Montreal is swamped... They've been swamped ever since they added DCF... it puts a lot more on their plate because they have to do a lot more work processing their own CR-1 visas. In the past a lot of the processing was performed by the NVC which really freed up their resources. So they esentially got a lot more work, with probably no increase in Consular Officers.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah.. the IR unit in Montreal is swamped... They've been swamped ever since they added DCF... it puts a lot more on their plate because they have to do a lot more work processing their own CR-1 visas. In the past a lot of the processing was performed by the NVC which really freed up their resources. So they esentially got a lot more work, with probably no increase in Consular Officers.

yeppers. DCF makes things easier for those couples who qualify, but it definitely has added to the workload in Montreal ( I still don't get why Vancouver can't process CR/IR-1s, maybe that will eventually change??? dunno).

Medicals in Toronto, and other relevant info:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...opic=12198&st=0

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline

One would think they may wake up and pass some off to Vancouver. but that makes too much sense!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

hehehe you beat me to it andru! :) Congratulations and thanks for the thorough write-up!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

Timeline

I drove the Uhaul from halifax area to DC and wasnt all that bad. Expect around 10 mpg!

Timeline
have moving companies been discussed? im wondering what ballpark numbers are to move my wifes stuff vs us renting a uhaul.. im sure theres a big diff, but 12 hours driving one of those things is going to be murder. lol

If I remember correctly, there are a number of moving options discussed in the previous Clearing House thread (see link at the beginning of this thread, or the first one in my signature below) :)

Once you are here in the US......getting a Driver's License

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...topic=13580&hl=

Timeline

tips for those going through interviews at Montreal Consulate:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...topic=14178&hl=

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

for those considering the move back to Canada with their spouse (or US spouse moving to be with Canadian spouse) -- this thread deals mainly with tax issues:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...topic=16834&hl=

For those looking to bringing their cars with them to the US (good links here):

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15874

Timeline

Timeline

Hotel / Flight Info for Montreal (including good info about staying at the dorms at McGill):

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...topic=17222&hl=

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.