Sean and Kristina

N-400 March 2019 Filers

888 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

The journey got to the end, yesterday I became an American Citizen 😁 

Thank you all for creating such a helpful and supportive community here! 

Thumbs crossed for those who are  waiting and lots of good luck for everyone! 😍

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Super Sad, Had my interview and passed everything but because I owe back taxes, I was denied my citizenship. I still owe but am on a payment plan. Missed a couple of payments as wife got laid off. i can appeal but it costs over $600 and if that appeal is denied, I can only reapply after 5 more years. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Liberia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Ofi & Javy said:

Super Sad, Had my interview and passed everything but because I owe back taxes, I was denied my citizenship. I still owe but am on a payment plan. Missed a couple of payments as wife got laid off. i can appeal but it costs over $600 and if that appeal is denied, I can only reapply after 5 more years. 

There is no way you could b denied on that basis when you are making payment to IRS. During the interview, did you take along a letter from IRS stating that you are paying? 

On 9/19/2019 at 11:02 AM, Ofi & Javy said:

Did you bring proof of the payment plan? I was in the same position when I applied/interviewed for citizenship. The officer asked me about it and I explained that I was on a payment plan and that the money is automatically deducted from my account every month. I showed him the tax transcripts as well as my bank statements(where I highlighted the IRS deductions) and he was fine with that. 

If I was in your position, I'd appeal. This is assuming that you were denied because of the taxes you owe and not because you missed payments;-(

11/01/13- Mailed AOS Package
11/03/13- USPS update- Package delivered
11/08/13- Texts received for acceptance of all 3 forms
11/13/13- Received NOAs for I-485 and I-765. No I-130?
11/18/13- Biometrics Appointment letter received
11/19/13- Successful biometrics walk in
11/27/13-Received RFE
12/16/13- Sent requested evidence
01/08/14- Case status changed to Testing and Interview
01/16/14-EAD received!

06/12/14- Interview. Approved on spot!

Timeline
On 9/20/2019 at 1:41 PM, coolchicn said:

Did you bring proof of the payment plan? I was in the same position when I applied/interviewed for citizenship. The officer asked me about it and I explained that I was on a payment plan and that the money is automatically deducted from my account every month. I showed him the tax transcripts as well as my bank statements(where I highlighted the IRS deductions) and he was fine with that. 

If I was in your position, I'd appeal. This is assuming that you were denied because of the taxes you owe and not because you missed payments;-(

Yes, I gave them all the paper work, the payment plans and all but It was because of the missed payments when my wife got laid off.  We did try to lower payments until she was able to get another job but we missed like 3 payments. 

Timeline
On 9/19/2019 at 12:43 PM, LIB_pekin said:

There is no way you could b denied on that basis when you are making payment to IRS. During the interview, did you take along a letter from IRS stating that you are paying? 

Yes. i took in the payment plans and all documentation.  We missed a couple of payments because my wife got laid off and apparently it shows lack of moral character. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi all, 

I had my interview in Chicago yesterday. Unfortunately, I got the all dreaded 'A decision cannot be made' box checked...

My report: I arrived 1 1/2 hours early, played it rather safe than sorry because of traffic. Check in was easy and then the wait began. There are two doors out of which the officers will come and call your number. The check in person will let you know which door/section is yours. Mind you though, even though you arrive early, they will not call you any earlier, they still go by your appointments (which is totally okay, just an FYI). Through this it happens that numbers that are way after yours are called before you. There was a steady flow of people coming in and out and about 5 or 6 different officers, I only paid attention to this for door 1, which was the one relevant to me. Some came out super happy and smiling, one I even overheard saying he was approved, some cam out with a 'meh' face, so not happy, but also not devastated, I was beginning to get my hopes up :)
Anyways, I waited a total of 1 hour and 45 minutes before my number was called (so only 15 minutes after my actual appointment time, which is not bad regarding the number of people waiting!). 
The officer came and we walked through the ominous door number 1. After that is a security door, only with badge and pin code you are able to get through. Anyways, we walked through several corridors until we got to his office. 
He started out with having all my identification documents in front of him, diver's license, green card, passport. Then he swore me in, took my picture and my fingerprints. 
First up was the test. My six questions were:
1. The idea of self-government is in the first three words of the Constitution. What are these words?
2. If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
3. When was the Declaration of Independence adopted?

4. In what month do we vote for President?
5. What is one reason colonists came to America?
6. What is the capital of your state?
The 'read' sentence was ' Which state has the most people?'
The 'write' sentence was ' California has the most people.'
Needless to say, that piece was not an issue for me. Then we went on through the application and he made some corrections for me in the application (for example I put in that my husband was married '0' times, which obviously can't be true :) ). As others have said, they go through all questions again. 
At the end I had to sign for the changes he made and then sign for the oath. 
He looked at the supporting documents I had uploaded (I uploaded all the tax transcripts after submitting the app in the online portal, but he had them there). He didn't ask for any of the originals that I brought (husband's passport or naturalization cert or anything).
Then he took the piece of paper with the boxes and marked the test as passed, but then, to my horror, marked the 'Decision cannot be made' box and pointed to case files stacked high behind him... He said I shouldn't worry about it, he can't see that he needs anything else from me, but wants to take a second look and wants to be fair to adjudicate all the others that came first before mine. He said to expect an answer in 3 months or less. 
We then small talked a little while he prepped for the next candidate. 
All in all it was a really nice interview, without the small talk it only lasted about 15 minutes (30 minutes with small talk).
He was a really nice officer, made you feel at ease, but you can imagine that I was and still am disappointed about the outcome (especially when walking through the corridors and seeing other people's offices who don't have stacks of files sitting around on the desk or the floor, they probably approve on the spot 😟 ).

I hope he is faster than 3 months. He said the USCIS fiscal year ends end of September, so they normally get asked to do over time to get as many cases done as possible, but he didn't say that's a given, to not get my hopes up. 

Edited by glowie85

Hi! Can someone please update my timeline, I had my interview on September 13, got an RFE. And September 23 my application was approved. Now I’m just waiting for my Oath Ceremony date. Thank you!

Hi guys, I passed my interview last week September 17 and my appointment is 9:10 am. Came there in USCIS Philadelphia 20mins before my appointment because of traffic lol was worried but I made it. The lady that interview me was nice. She ask me first about my application and then she proceeds with the 6 questions which I answered them all correctly and the reading and writing test. And then she told me congratulations and gave me a piece of paper that I passed. And told me I will get a mail that says when is my oath taking it was scheduled September 27. 10 days after my interview and now I’m officially US citizen. I’m thankful for this wonderful community because if not with the help of everyone here I wouldn’t do it without them 😊

God Bless to everyone and to those that are still waiting you’ll get yours too 😉

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

On Friday September 27th I had my oath ceremony in Chicago. It was a really nice ceremony. Because I had a name change it was at the federal court. My family was able to watch it and take pictures. The judge was really nice and the ceremony was very meaningful. There were 110 applicants from 42 countries. I'm very proud to have become an American Citizen. At the end of the ceremony they handed out forms to register to vote, which I did.  No matter the current political issues, America is a great nation and Americans are great people. I hope that you get your citizenship very quickly. Now I'm off to the Passport Agency to get my American Passport to travel without a visa to Europe which was a life long wish for me. Good luck everyone. 

27 minutes ago, chicago74 said:

On Friday September 27th I had my oath ceremony in Chicago. It was a really nice ceremony. Because I had a name change it was at the federal court. My family was able to watch it and take pictures. The judge was really nice and the ceremony was very meaningful. There were 110 applicants from 42 countries. I'm very proud to have become an American Citizen. At the end of the ceremony they handed out forms to register to vote, which I did.  No matter the current political issues, America is a great nation and Americans are great people. I hope that you get your citizenship very quickly. Now I'm off to the Passport Agency to get my American Passport to travel without a visa to Europe which was a life long wish for me. Good luck everyone. 

Congratulations & welcome to becoming an American Citizen.  My wife became one on Sept. 12th in Tampa, but our journey began in Chicago (my hometown).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
On 9/26/2019 at 8:21 AM, glowie85 said:

Hi all, 

I had my interview in Chicago yesterday. Unfortunately, I got the all dreaded 'A decision cannot be made' box checked...

My report: I arrived 1 1/2 hours early, played it rather safe than sorry because of traffic. Check in was easy and then the wait began. There are two doors out of which the officers will come and call your number. The check in person will let you know which door/section is yours. Mind you though, even though you arrive early, they will not call you any earlier, they still go by your appointments (which is totally okay, just an FYI). Through this it happens that numbers that are way after yours are called before you. There was a steady flow of people coming in and out and about 5 or 6 different officers, I only paid attention to this for door 1, which was the one relevant to me. Some came out super happy and smiling, one I even overheard saying he was approved, some cam out with a 'meh' face, so not happy, but also not devastated, I was beginning to get my hopes up :)
Anyways, I waited a total of 1 hour and 45 minutes before my number was called (so only 15 minutes after my actual appointment time, which is not bad regarding the number of people waiting!). 
The officer came and we walked through the ominous door number 1. After that is a security door, only with badge and pin code you are able to get through. Anyways, we walked through several corridors until we got to his office. 
He started out with having all my identification documents in front of him, diver's license, green card, passport. Then he swore me in, took my picture and my fingerprints. 
First up was the test. My six questions were:
1. The idea of self-government is in the first three words of the Constitution. What are these words?
2. If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
3. When was the Declaration of Independence adopted?

4. In what month do we vote for President?
5. What is one reason colonists came to America?
6. What is the capital of your state?
The 'read' sentence was ' Which state has the most people?'
The 'write' sentence was ' California has the most people.'
Needless to say, that piece was not an issue for me. Then we went on through the application and he made some corrections for me in the application (for example I put in that my husband was married '0' times, which obviously can't be true :) ). As others have said, they go through all questions again. 
At the end I had to sign for the changes he made and then sign for the oath. 
He looked at the supporting documents I had uploaded (I uploaded all the tax transcripts after submitting the app in the online portal, but he had them there). He didn't ask for any of the originals that I brought (husband's passport or naturalization cert or anything).
Then he took the piece of paper with the boxes and marked the test as passed, but then, to my horror, marked the 'Decision cannot be made' box and pointed to case files stacked high behind him... He said I shouldn't worry about it, he can't see that he needs anything else from me, but wants to take a second look and wants to be fair to adjudicate all the others that came first before mine. He said to expect an answer in 3 months or less. 
We then small talked a little while he prepped for the next candidate. 
All in all it was a really nice interview, without the small talk it only lasted about 15 minutes (30 minutes with small talk).
He was a really nice officer, made you feel at ease, but you can imagine that I was and still am disappointed about the outcome (especially when walking through the corridors and seeing other people's offices who don't have stacks of files sitting around on the desk or the floor, they probably approve on the spot 😟 ).

I hope he is faster than 3 months. He said the USCIS fiscal year ends end of September, so they normally get asked to do over time to get as many cases done as possible, but he didn't say that's a given, to not get my hopes up. 

And I got lucky today! Even though the officer claimed three months, it wasn't even a full week! I got my approval notice through the online account today. Now waiting for the in line for oath and oath scheduling. :) 

So if someone can update my timeline as 'ye' to approved that would be great. 

I updated the google docs spreadsheet here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vu0o5uuv7dhdTTEpsi5a3FqODw5watY7bHhpVnh-gfw/edit#gid=0

When I get my oath notice/date, I will let you guys know.

Edited by glowie85

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.