alexandra8886

To get married while there's pending K1 application?!?!

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
So true, Yodrak. But we can keep trying to dispell the myths and reduce the unnecessary fear!

(Anecdotally, my best friend's brother is having his wedding to his Mexican bride in two weeks, and she'll be entering on her K1 a week or so after they honeymoon in Cancun. They'll then legally marry after she gets here. Not a hint of worry anywhere. They know the laws and they know what they are doing. I think sometimes this place, as helpful as it is, creates one new fear for every 4 it puts to rest.)

Daisy,

You are right. But as long as people continue to use the words 'wedding' and 'marriage' interchangeably, synonymously, this discussion will go on.

Yodrak

Ok, I'm going to be an language nerd here but:

According to Webster's Dictionary

a wedding is: the formal ceremony in which one is to marry another person.

a marriage is: the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.

So technically, the words are interchangeable and synonymous. In fact, they are listed as synonyms.

I know I sound like an azz by saying that, but the point is that some people don't understand the difference. I think what should be clarified is the legal or civil aspect of the ceremony. I am planning on a relgious ceremony, non-legal in my SO's country and non-legal in the US. If we are asked when entering the US if we got married in Germany, no we did not legally get married. I think that some people are afraid that a religious/non-legal ceremony in their SO's country will look bad. I read a LOT of information and made some phone calls before I felt comfortable with the idea myself.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

jundp,

We're not dealing with Webster's dictionary definitions when talking immigration, we're dealing with the legal definition of a marriage, which can vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

So let me add to my previous post addressed to TimsDasiy - as long as people continue to use dictionary definitions of 'wedding' and 'marriage' rather than the INA definition of a marriage.

Yodrak

So true, Yodrak. But we can keep trying to dispell the myths and reduce the unnecessary fear!

(Anecdotally, my best friend's brother is having his wedding to his Mexican bride in two weeks, and she'll be entering on her K1 a week or so after they honeymoon in Cancun. They'll then legally marry after she gets here. Not a hint of worry anywhere. They know the laws and they know what they are doing. I think sometimes this place, as helpful as it is, creates one new fear for every 4 it puts to rest.)

Daisy,

You are right. But as long as people continue to use the words 'wedding' and 'marriage' interchangeably, synonymously, this discussion will go on.

Yodrak

a marriage is: the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.

So technically, the words are interchangeable and synonymous. In fact, they are listed as synonyms.

I know I sound like an azz by saying that, but the point is that some people don't understand the difference. I think what should be clarified is the legal or civil aspect of the ceremony. I am planning on a relgious ceremony, non-legal in my SO's country and non-legal in the US. If we are asked when entering the US if we got married in Germany, no we did not legally get married. I think that some people are afraid that a religious/non-legal ceremony in their SO's country will look bad. I read a LOT of information and made some phone calls before I felt comfortable with the idea myself.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi guys!!!

first of all, I want to thank you all for sharing your opinion regarding this issue.

anyway..its true that we plan to get married on july though we have a pending K1 application. then we realized it will just be a headache to us..so we disregard the plan & continue with the K1 procedure.

then, i saw this island_princess which i reacted so fast without asking why they have 2 approvals.

i immediately post this thread because i was excited to find an anwer that our previous plan is possible.

Which..Again..rE-validated..ITS NOT!

So, to close this thread..& clear the issue..

island_princess has two approvals since K3 applicant like her needs to have this 2 forms.

THANKS & CASE CLOSED... :)

Dong & Dang

12/28/2007.....Sent Packet for AOS application

12/29/2007.....USCIS Chicago received our AOS Packet

01/22/2008.....Date of two NOA1 (I-797C) for I-765-EAD & I-131-Application for Travel Document

[Received in mail last 01/26/07]

01/24/2008.....USCIS Chicago encashed our checks

01/28/2008.....Received NOA1 for I-485 though notice, dated 01/22/2008

01/30/2008.....Received Biometrics schedule, Notice date 01/25/2008

02/15/2008.....Biometrics Schedule

02/20/2008.....Confirmation of receipt of RFE (source:USCIS case online update)

02/21/2008.....touched

03/03/2008.....Issued I-512L, Authorization for Parole of an Alien into the United States

03/06/2008.....Issued EAD Card (Employment Authorization)

04/23/2008.....Received Interview Schedule

06/11/2008.....Interview Schedule - Phoenix, AZ

06/14/2008.....Received Notice for the Approval of AOS Application

06/16/2008.....Received Green Card.

www.annie-thejourney.com

www.unforgettable-weddings.com

www.gorgeous-mommy.com

www.churvah.com

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Wow, ok.

I think my point was missed. But I shall take your message and butt out of your conversation....

jundp,

We're not dealing with Webster's dictionary definitions when talking immigration, we're dealing with the legal definition of a marriage, which can vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

So let me add to my previous post addressed to TimsDasiy - as long as people continue to use dictionary definitions of 'wedding' and 'marriage' rather than the INA definition of a marriage.

Yodrak

Daisy,

Yodrak

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.