JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,061 posts in this topic

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Help post

I am a J1 PhD student. The salary (as a aTA) I get from university covers my tuition fees. Recently I have applied J1 waiver based on No Objection. But after few days of applying I get email from ‘International Exchange Visitor Alumni’ saying that to activate alumni account. This alumni account is also a part of Department of State’s cultural section. And this account is for those who gets funding from US government. Since my program is not sponsored my US government so I am little worried why I have received this email. Are all J1 university students receive this kind of email?

NB: DOS just updated my application but they haven’t updated the NOC yet from embassy 

Edited by Dev1971

1 hour ago, Dev1971 said:

Help post

I am a J1 PhD student. The salary (as a aTA) I get from university covers my tuition fees. Recently I have applied J1 waiver based on No Objection. But after few days of applying I get email from ‘International Exchange Visitor Alumni’ saying that to activate alumni account. This alumni account is also a part of Department of State’s cultural section. And this account is for those who gets funding from US government. Since my program is not sponsored my US government so I am little worried why I have received this email. Are all J1 university students receive this kind of email?

NB: DOS just updated my application but they haven’t updated the NOC yet from embassy 

I am not sure if that's something to worry about. I was a J1 trainee at a university, but can't remember if I got such an email. They might just be trying to get you sign up for their *alumni club*. Just check your DS-2019 and see what it says about the source of funding. Hope this helps. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, waiverTR said:

I am not sure if that's something to worry about. I was a J1 trainee at a university, but can't remember if I got such an email. They might just be trying to get you sign up for their *alumni club*. Just check your DS-2019 and see what it says about the source of funding. Hope this helps. 

In DS2019 I am subjected to 2 year home residency on ‘Skill List’. Since my University is a State University and all state university gets funding from federal government so I am worried about DOS might think my salary also come from faderal  government and therefore my program might be US government sponsored. But in my DS2019 it is clearly stated that I am on Skill list

Timeline
24 minutes ago, waiverTR said:

Dev1971 You might be overthinking this. All they should take into consideration is your DS-2019 which says EV skills list. It should all be good as long as you get the NOS from your home country, in my opinion. Let us know how it goes. 

Yes may be I am overthinking and logically they should only consider the DS2019. But Thanks for your advice. I will keep posting my updates  

10 minutes ago, BL_07 said:

Anyone whose NOS received in December received FR? My NOS was received on Dec 18 and status is still pending. Is this normal? I've seen people getting FR in 1-2 months time. Thank you!

Here is my time line

Sept 13th: Sent docs to DOS and Indian Embassy. Indian Embassy sent docs back within 1 week.

Oct 10th:  DOS website updated as received except NOS.

Dec 17th: NOS received. After Indian Embassy resent NOS.

Feb 10th : Favorable recommendation issued.

Feb  28th: Received I-797C- notice of action from USCIS.

Feb 29th: Received actual watermarked approval letter from USCIS.

Timeline

Hi

Anyone of yours NOC updated on February which was sent by Embassy  on January? Mine was sent by Embassy on 12 January but still now DOS hasn’t updated this in the website. All other application package has been updated but not NOC.
thanks

1 hour ago, R123. said:

Here is my time line

Sept 13th: Sent docs to DOS and Indian Embassy. Indian Embassy sent docs back within 1 week.

Oct 10th:  DOS website updated as received except NOS.

Dec 17th: NOS received. After Indian Embassy resent NOS.

Feb 10th : Favorable recommendation issued.

Feb  28th: Received I-797C- notice of action from USCIS.

Feb 29th: Received actual watermarked approval letter from USCIS.

Thanks R123. Yours was fast. I am waiting for DOS approval. Don't know what to do now. 

On 1/21/2020 at 7:39 PM, LauCC said:

I have no idea why there are so many discrepancies in the timelines.... In my case it took one month to show the docs received in the system, and it is still pending. 

I check the status everyday... maybe I should just relax and don't check that often.. :S 

I´m still waiting for the sponsors view since December 4th. I wrote an email to 212ewaiver@state.gov in January and a month later they replied that I had to wait adn that "Our Waiver Review Division is making every effort to process J-1 waiver applications as expeditiously as possible". It seems that some cases are a little behind schedule. 

I decided to not check it every day hehe.

Captura.PNG

Edited by SinfoChimp

22 minutes ago, SinfoChimp said:

I´m still waiting for the sponsors view since December 4th. I wrote an email to 212ewaiver@state.gov in January and a month later they replied that I had to wait adn that "Our Waiver Review Division is making every effort to process J-1 waiver applications as expeditiously as possible".

It seems that some cases are a little behind schedule...

I decided to not check it every day hehe. But I´m  kind of desperate. @LauCCHave you tried to contact a congressman/ senator´s office as @waiverTRproposed? @waiverTR did you do it? Any advice? Could the university that wants to hire me ask for that help?

Thank you all for the posts they are really helpful!

22 minutes ago, SinfoChimp said:

Captura.PNG

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.