JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,061 posts in this topic

On 1/24/2020 at 11:16 AM, tnnandi said:

Hi,

I just checked the DoS website to find out that they have issued a favorable recommendation for my J-1 waiver. Now, it seems I've to wait for a letter from USCIS as the final confirmation for the favorable recommendation. For that, do I need to do anything, i.e. fill up any form or something? Or will it be taken care automatically? Also, after how many days of the favorable recommendation by the DoS can I expect the letter from USCIS to be in hand?

@tnnandi I am sorry, I wasn't able to reply before. 

Hopefully you got your official letter from USCIS with your case approved. Regarding the Waiver, you don't have to fill in anything else. DOS finishes that part of the process when they sent you the letter advising USCIS grant your waiver. From that, USCIS has the final decision. It took 15 days for me to receive USCIS final notification with my case approved. 

23 hours ago, tnnandi said:

Hi,

Can you please tell how long did USCIS take to approve your case (the I 797C form)?

Thanks

Hi, @tnnandi I received my FR on Dec. 20th 2019. Following that, on Dec. 27th I received their letter. Then, on January 15th my case was finally approved by USCIS and I received the I-797C form on January 20th. It took exactly 6 months the whole process. 

19 hours ago, LauCC said:

how often do you guys check the DOS status?

Hi, @LauCC how is your process going?

When I knew that the 12-16 weeks to get the waiver approved actually start as soon as DOS receives the NOS from each person's country, I started to check it on Saturdays... but of course, I know we all are anxious about knowing the good news, just do not let that the process itself consumes you, it's hectic, I know!  Just keep on being positive!! :) 

10 minutes ago, J1visa said:

@tnnandi I am sorry, I wasn't able to reply before. 

Hopefully you got your official letter from USCIS with your case approved. Regarding the Waiver, you don't have to fill in anything else. DOS finishes that part of the process when they sent you the letter advising USCIS grant your waiver. From that, USCIS has the final decision. It took 15 days for me to receive USCIS final notification with my case approved. 

Thank you so much for your very informative responses. I got my I-797C form from USCIS around 1st February (the notice date is mentioned as 29th Jan), but yet to receive the final approval (on the USCIS page). From many of the posts, it seemed that the approval is given within 7-10 days after receipt of I-797C, that's why I was slightly worried. My employer wants me to get it done ASAP, so i'm trying to get a better estimate of how long I need to wait.

Edited by tnnandi

On 1/16/2020 at 7:44 AM, Mgj1 said:

Congrats!!! 😁😁😁

Mine still says that was received at another office. Hopefully it will change soon. 

Thanks for the update 

😊

Thank you!! 

Hi, @Mgj1 Yay!!!! :) :) Hopefully you have already received your final notification, right?!  Congrats too!!! :) 

1 minute ago, tnnandi said:

Thank you so much for your very informative responses. I got my I-797C form from USCIS around 1st February (the notice date is mentioned as 29th Jan), but yet to receive the final approval. From many of the posts, it seemed that the approval is updated within 7-10 days after receipt of I-797C, that's why I was slightly worried.

Congrats!!! @tnnandi I am so glad you got it approved!! :) 

3 minutes ago, J1visa said:

Congrats!!! @tnnandi I am so glad you got it approved!! :) 

I haven't received the approval from USCIS yet (not even online), that is what I'm waiting for! I have only received the Notice of Action form (I-797C) from USCIS on 1st February, and now eagerly waiting for I-797B (or atleast the online approval).

Edited by tnnandi

1 minute ago, tnnandi said:

I haven't received the approval from USCIS yet (not even online), that is what I'm waiting for! I have only received the Notice of Action form (I-797C) from USCIS on 1st February, and now eagerly waiting for I-797B (or atleast the online approval).

@tnnandi When you receive the I-797 Notice of action, on the right side of the form, it says: Notice type: Aproval Notice. 

That's what I received  mid January. So far, I haven't received another notification. It says that USCIS has completed the processing of my application. I am kind of confused now! omg!! :(

image.thumb.png.65e511df48aaa8abfed5ab14fed080ee.png

22 minutes ago, tnnandi said:

@tnnandi I was reading about the I-797B and it doesn't apply in my case.

Hopefully, you will receive that one this week! But in any case, the I-797 says that your case was approved! :) 

25 minutes ago, J1visa said:

@tnnandi When you receive the I-797 Notice of action, on the right side of the form, it says: Notice type: Aproval Notice. 

That's what I received  mid January. So far, I haven't received another notification. It says that USCIS has completed the processing of my application. I am kind of confused now! omg!! :(

From this screenshot, it's clear that your case has been approved. Unfortunately, I haven't reached this stage yet; I have only received the I-797C, Notice of Action, which in my case says "Notice Type: Receipt Notice" and not "Approval Notice". For subsequent immigration steps, you need the final approval letter from USCIS, which I think you can expect to get anytime soon.

40 minutes ago, J1visa said:

Also, the screenshot says that you are (were) supposed to get the approval notice bu Jan 30, beyond which you should contact USCIS. I refer that approval notice as I-797B form. But since you mention I-797B is not applicable for your case (I'd be curious to know why), maybe that doesn't matter.

Hi everybody,

I have a question and maybe you can help. I've read many different stories about how to apply to H1b with the waiver. Some people got it with DOS recommendation, some people needed USCIS I-797, and some people were asked the I-612. 

My lawyer said I could do it with the DOS recommendation, my university wants I-797, but now I've read about the I-612. This is so confusing...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.