JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,061 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, tnnandi said:

One more thing, do you consider your case to be an outlier regarding the time taken, or is it normal to require 4 months for the entire procedure? Based on your observations, what do you think is the average time currently required? I'm asking this because multiple folks at my institute got theirs within 1.5 months from sending their application packet. My joining date at a DOE national lab is approaching, and I desperately want my waiver very soon. But, it has only been 1.5 months since I sent my application packet (and this was during the holiday period), so keeping my fingers crossed. I mailed multiple times regarding expediting my case, but didn't get any response from the DoS.

You are right. Everyone’s case is different. I see some people have shared their timelines that does not indicate request for sponsor views. Good luck for your waiver request! I am still waiting on USCIS to get final waiver.

18 hours ago, waiverSE said:

I got a favorable recommendation on Dec 26th, but I don't know where to look for approval. Is there an USCIS website to look for the approval status? I have not received anything in mail yet. 

Hi, @waiverSE , I am in the same situation. I got my FR on December 20th. According to what I have read in the forums, we have to wait until USCIS send us the I-797 form with a case number to check in this website:

https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

Hopefully, they already got the copy of the letter that the Waiver Review Division sent them.

On page 59 there are some posts about this topic. and on page 56 I found someone posted a USCIS app to track the cases. 

You can call to USCIS and ask about your case, I plan to call tomorrow and check if I can get some information. I know we just past the Holidays, but at least to know something. This is the number: 18003755283

Hi everyone! I know that this process takes a long time, but my Embassy sent the NOL before Christmas and I also sent my address update before that time and the DoS doesn't show it as received yet. My problem is that if I don't get at least the DoS approval by February, my current Visa will expire and I will need to leave the country. I have emailed them but no answer. Do you guys know a phone number that I can use to call them or how to try to get an expedite decision from DoS? Thank you.

13 minutes ago, J1W said:

Hi everyone! I know that this process takes a long time, but my Embassy sent the NOL before Christmas and I also sent my address update before that time and the DoS doesn't show it as received yet. My problem is that if I don't get at least the DoS approval by February, my current Visa will expire and I will need to leave the country. I have emailed them but no answer. Do you guys know a phone number that I can use to call them or how to try to get an expedite decision from DoS? Thank you.

FYI: My NOL received status on the DoS website got updated after 1 month from the day it was actually sent by my home country's embassy (Sent on Nov 19th, status updated on Dec 19th).

51 minutes ago, tnnandi said:

FYI: My NOL received status on the DoS website got updated after 1 month from the day it was actually sent by my home country's embassy (Sent on Nov 19th, status updated on Dec 19th).

Thanks! That's what I have been reading but I am so scared I will need to leave the country in February...

36 minutes ago, J1W said:

Thanks! That's what I have been reading but I am so scared I will need to leave the country in February...

Did you talk to your school/institute's internationals' office about your issue? Is there any way they can request for an expedited processing by the DoS? Also, just to be sure, your document for maintaining immigration status (e.g. I-20, DS-2019) is getting expired, right (and not just your visa)?

1 minute ago, tnnandi said:

Did you talk to your school/institute's internationals' office about your issue? Is there any way they can request for an expedited processing by the DoS? Also, just to be sure, your document for maintaining immigration status (e.g. I-20, DS-2019) is getting expired, right (and not just your visa)?

Yes is my document that is getting expired. The thing is that I had this J1 Visa 3 years ago, and right now I have an F1 Visa so my J1 sponsor can't really do anything about it. I am currently in the 60 day Grace period, but after that I will need to leave and that's why I'm trying to call DoS but when I call the general number they transfer me to another line and hangs up automatically

On 12/21/2019 at 4:27 AM, J1visa said:

@LauCC Hi, LauCC, My FR showed today in the system!!! Finally, after being waiting for 2 months. I am soooo happy!!. :) 

The delay seems to be in general, 2 of my friends sent the documents a month ago and there is nothing in their systems. Hopefully soon. All of us in the same situation, but trusting, everything will be in place soon. Be patient.... I was almost becoming crazy thinking about the FR :( 

Good luck and hang in there with USCIS times! 

Hi! Congrats on your FR!! so your timeline was 2 months total for the DOS?? that's great... hope mine goes like that... still no news.. since Dec 10th... 

On 1/5/2020 at 3:58 PM, J1visa said:

Hi, @waiverSE , I am in the same situation. I got my FR on December 20th. According to what I have read in the forums, we have to wait until USCIS send us the I-797 form with a case number to check in this website:

https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

Hopefully, they already got the copy of the letter that the Waiver Review Division sent them.

On page 59 there are some posts about this topic. and on page 56 I found someone posted a USCIS app to track the cases. 

You can call to USCIS and ask about your case, I plan to call tomorrow and check if I can get some information. I know we just past the Holidays, but at least to know something. This is the number: 18003755283

I also got FR on Dec 20th. I've called USCIS but no luck getting the receipt number for my case. Any news on yours?? 

Hi all,

I have been experiencing serious delays. I submitted my documents on October 30th, my home country submitted NOS letter on November 6th, I can see from my bank account that DOS waiver Dept processed my check on November 7th (I double checked with my bank today after consulting a lawyer) but I still don't see any update. As a response to my email that I sent 1 month ago, USCIS just sent me this email a couple of days ago:

We have checked our files and there is no record of having received your application from the U.S. Bank in St. Louis, MO. 

We hope this information is helpful.

I don't know what that means (I asked, they never replied). Since my check has been processed already, does it mean that US BANK ST Louis MO didn't send my docs to them? Or did they lose my documents?

I had an appointment with a lawyer today and she suggested me to re-send all the documents ASAP.

Do any of you experience a similar problem?

Thank you very much.

48 minutes ago, Han77 said:

Hi all,

I have been experiencing serious delays. I submitted my documents on October 30th, my home country submitted NOS letter on November 6th, I can see from my bank account that DOS waiver Dept processed my check on November 7th (I double checked with my bank today after consulting a lawyer) but I still don't see any update. As a response to my email that I sent 1 month ago, USCIS just sent me this email a couple of days ago:

We have checked our files and there is no record of having received your application from the U.S. Bank in St. Louis, MO. 

I don't know what that means (I asked, they never replied). Since my check has been processed already, does it mean that US BANK ST Louis MO didn't send my docs to them? Or did they lose my documents?

I had an appointment with a lawyer today and she suggested me to re-send all the documents ASAP.

Thank you very much.

Finally received the USCIS notice that waiver has been approved. Good luck for those who are still undergoing. Best wishes!!

2 hours ago, Han77 said:

Hi all,

Thank you very much.

I am in almost the same situation. My application was delivered to DOS's St. Louis address on November 3, 2019. I have proof that my fee money order was cashed on November 5, 2019 (which means my application was opened and processed at the St. Louis office). Then, my home country embassy has confirmed to me that they have sent my NOC to the DOS on November 17, 2019. And yet, as of today, there is no information related to my case on DOS's online inquiry system. I, too, sent an email to the DOS on December 2, 2019, received a reply on January 2, 2020, stating that as per their records, they have not received my application. I replied back with all the proof I have about the application delivered and processed, but I don't expect them to reply before sometime in the beginning of February. I am also concerned that my application may have been misplaced between St. Louis and Washington offices.

Interesting that your lawyer suggested you resend all documents. Did he/she ask you to use the same case number and just resend the application and supporting documents (except fees) again to the St. Louis Office?

I was considering contacting my area's Congressmen. Their office usually offer help with issues related to any government agency. Have you considered doing so? Or did you lawyer bring this up?

Thanks

57 minutes ago, adshah said:

I am in almost the same situation. My application was delivered to DOS's St. Louis address on November 3, 2019. I have proof that my fee money order was cashed on November 5, 2019 (which means my application was opened and processed at the St. Louis office). Then, my home country embassy has confirmed to me that they have sent my NOC to the DOS on November 17, 2019. And yet, as of today, there is no information related to my case on DOS's online inquiry system. I, too, sent an email to the DOS on December 2, 2019, received a reply on January 2, 2020, stating that as per their records, they have not received my application. I replied back with all the proof I have about the application delivered and processed, but I don't expect them to reply before sometime in the beginning of February. I am also concerned that my application may have been misplaced between St. Louis and Washington offices.

Interesting that your lawyer suggested you resend all documents. Did he/she ask you to use the same case number and just resend the application and supporting documents (except fees) again to the St. Louis Office?

I was considering contacting my area's Congressmen. Their office usually offer help with issues related to any government agency. Have you considered doing so? Or did you lawyer bring this up?

Thanks

Yes, she suggested me:

1- to make sure that my check was not canceled but processed (my bank statement already shows that  but I went to the bank and confirmed it). Then, along with the document showing that my check was cashed, re-send everything with the same case number (otherwise your home country will need to send your NOS again with a new case number and who knows how long will it take).

2- Re: congressmen; she suggested me to contact with the international office (Columbia University) and convince them to contact with the Congressmen. 

I was trying to reach a phone number/e-mail address of St. Lois, but I couldn't. Have you tried to reach them directly?

My J-1 will expire in 3 months and to be able to start my H1-B process I need to finalize this ASAP. Please let me know if your hear anything from DOS.

Thank you!

14 minutes ago, Han77 said:

Yes, she suggested me:

1- to make sure that my check was not canceled but processed (my bank statement already shows that  but I went to the bank and confirmed it). Then, along with the document showing that my check was cashed, re-send everything with the same case number (otherwise your home country will need to send your NOS again with a new case number and who knows how long will it take).

2- Re: congressmen; she suggested me to contact with the international office (Columbia University) and convince them to contact with the Congressmen. 

I was trying to reach a phone number/e-mail address of St. Lois, but I couldn't. Have you tried to reach them directly?

My J-1 will expire in 3 months and to be able to start my H1-B process I need to finalize this ASAP. Please let me know if your hear anything from DOS.

Thank you!

Thanks for the reply. I also have a proof that my money order was chased by the Depart of State on November 5, 2019, so that is for sure. May be I should resubmit the application with the proof of payment.

I have not tried contacting the St. Louis office directly. I would, but there is no contact information available. This is the most frustration part about this application - lack of a good source of information.

I contacted my area's representative Congressmen's office and will send them all info and documents soon. Hopefully they can get some clarification. Will let you know if anything changes. Please let me know if you re-sending the documents helps you. If it does, I will do that too. good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.