JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,061 posts in this topic

On 12/3/2019 at 5:07 PM, LauCC said:

Hi, do you have any update? My embassy sent the NOS to the DOS 3 weeks ago and there it doesn't show as received... I also thought that the time started as soon as they received the applicant documents.. :( 

Hi, Nothing yet. Still waiting.... It's 2 months now since the NOS showed up as received. Now with holidays, I guess this process will take longer! So let's be patient and trust everything will be ok for all of us and we are going to get the FR soon! 

On 12/17/2019 at 3:11 PM, jessjess said:

I submitted all my documents in the end of June and DOS updated it in July. From July to October, I was waiting on my home country embassy to issue the NOS. My home country approved the NOS on October 2nd. But the DOS didn't update they received the NOS until October 20th. And I've been waiting for the FR since then. 

We have the same timeline. I am still waiting to see the FR since then. Nothing has changed in the USCIS website. :(

I know it's from 12 to 16 weeks, but I know about people who got it in 2 months or less. I don't know how these times work for USCIS, but let's keep on been positive! 

On 12/19/2019 at 7:53 PM, J1visa said:

We have the same timeline. I am still waiting to see the FR since then. Nothing has changed in the USCIS website. :(

I know it's from 12 to 16 weeks, but I know about people who got it in 2 months or less. I don't know how these times work for USCIS, but let's keep on been positive! 

@jessjess  hii!! Check today, omg I am so happy!!! I got my FR in the system. Appears as sent yesterday. I went to bed thinking that there were exactly 2 months and nothing, but it is there today!! Yaaaay!!! :) Hopefully yours will be too! Stay positive! :) 

On 12/19/2019 at 7:39 PM, J1visa said:

Hi, Nothing yet. Still waiting.... It's 2 months now since the NOS showed up as received. Now with holidays, I guess this process will take longer! So let's be patient and trust everything will be ok for all of us and we are going to get the FR soon! 

@LauCC Hi, LauCC, My FR showed today in the system!!! Finally, after being waiting for 2 months. I am soooo happy!!. :) 

The delay seems to be in general, 2 of my friends sent the documents a month ago and there is nothing in their systems. Hopefully soon. All of us in the same situation, but trusting, everything will be in place soon. Be patient.... I was almost becoming crazy thinking about the FR :( 

Good luck and hang in there with USCIS times! 

Hello everyone,

This thread is very helpful to us. Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

I have a question: Both I and my wife are on J1 visa with 2-year rule on it. Both of us don't have any J2 dependent on our visas.

Should we file separate cases for waiver?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays.

20 minutes ago, stuckeng said:

Hello everyone,

This thread is very helpful to us. Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

I have a question: Both I and my wife are on J1 visa with 2-year rule on it. Both of us don't have any J2 dependent on our visas.

Should we file separate cases for waiver?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays.

Yes, You have to file separately. If it were that your spouse was a J-2 Visa holder, she will not need to apply.

But if both of you have separate J-1 Visa, each holder of J-1 visa will file for a waiver separately.

I hope this helps.

On 12/23/2019 at 11:51 AM, Abayomi said:

Yes, You have to file separately. If it were that your spouse was a J-2 Visa holder, she will not need to apply.

But if both of you have separate J-1 Visa, each holder of J-1 visa will file for a waiver separately.

I hope this helps.

Thank you, Abayomi. Well, that's sad for us then. 

Hello all,

I am a J1 waiver applicant. I had applied on August 15th 2019 and have received the J1 waiver favorable recommendation by US department of State on December 12th 2019. My application is with USCIS for final approval. Does anyone have estimated idea of how much time it could get for final approval from USCIS?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, j1waiver17 said:

Hello all,

I am a J1 waiver applicant. I had applied on August 15th 2019 and have received the J1 waiver favorable recommendation by US department of State on December 12th 2019. My application is with USCIS for final approval. Does anyone have estimated idea of how much time it could get for final approval from USCIS?

Thank you!

Hi,

Can you please tell us when did all of your documents (including the NOS) reach DoS (and when were they shown as received on the DoS website)? I'm asking this because I sent my documents on November 19th, and the DoS website updated on 19th December that all my documents as received. So, I'm trying to have an estimate of the processing time.

1 hour ago, tnnandi said:

Hi,

Can you please tell us when did all of your documents (including the NOS) reach DoS (and when were they shown as received on the DoS website)? I'm asking this because I sent my documents on November 19th, and the DoS website updated on 19th December that all my documents as received. So, I'm trying to have an estimate of the processing time.

image.jpeg.d03fab35a45078831b678882962971be.jpeg
 The above photo is my timeline. I had submitted my documents in August and the document received was updated in September. So my guess is, it takes one month for the update from the day you actually submit the documents. Overall it took me almost 4 months to get favorable recommendation.

Edited by j1waiver17

22 minutes ago, j1waiver17 said:

image.jpeg.d03fab35a45078831b678882962971be.jpeg
 The above photo is my timeline. I had submitted my documents in August and the document received was updated in September. So my guess is, it takes one month for the update from the day you actually submit the documents. Overall it took me almost 4 months to get favorable recommendation.

Thank you so much for the timeline! This is indeed very helpful. It seems like your institute took more than a month to respond to the sponsor view. Maybe I have to try requesting my institute to get that step done quickly if possible.

6 minutes ago, tnnandi said:

Thank you so much for the timeline! This is indeed very helpful. It seems like your institute took more than a month to respond to the sponsor view. Maybe I have to try requesting my institute to get that step done quickly if possible.

Keep in mind, the status change does not occur as soon as the institute sends the sponsor view. The status change takes a while than the actual documents submission day.

10 minutes ago, j1waiver17 said:

Keep in mind, the status change does not occur as soon as the institute sends the sponsor view. The status change takes a while than the actual documents submission day.

One more thing, do you consider your case to be an outlier regarding the time taken, or is it normal to require 4 months for the entire procedure? Based on your observations, what do you think is the average time currently required? I'm asking this because multiple folks at my institute got theirs within 1.5 months from sending their application packet. My joining date at a DOE national lab is approaching, and I desperately want my waiver very soon. But, it has only been 1.5 months since I sent my application packet (and this was during the holiday period), so keeping my fingers crossed. I mailed multiple times regarding expediting my case, but didn't get any response from the DoS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.