JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,060 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am about to start a waiver process, I cannot apply until August as I need my family to get to the US first. My DS-2019 ends in May 2020. Do you think the waiver will be out on time to be able to apply for a green card? My country's priority date is current and about submitting for EB2-NIW 

I also have three questions to ask.

1. Can I get a sample statement of reason for No Objection

2. Is it advisable to use a lawyer for the Waiver process or one can do it alone

3. Is there any Nigerian on this platform that has requested for NOC from the Nigerian embassy in DC who can share his/her experience with me.

Thanks.

This is my timeline so far, based on NOS and straight forward case. No government funding. 

UPS priority Mail. March 14, delivery notification March 19.

DOS updated status and received documents. March 27

Embassy sent NOS to DOS .April 15

DOS Received NOS April 18 and Updated status April 21.

Still waiting for Recommendation. 

IMG_20190506_124345.png

On 4/27/2019 at 10:32 PM, JWaiver_2019 said:

By the way, I received notice of action with the approval yesterday (04/09), yay!, I didn't receive any letter from DOS and neither the notice of action from USCIS for receiving the case.

Seems like it's 2-3 months after the embassy sends the letter. This is the second timeline I see with US Gov. I wish it will be the same for me. The embassy will send it sometime this month. Ughhh 

Sharing my timeline as I found this website very helpful and reassuring during the whole process. 

I am from the the same country as the user GKT who posted his timeline in a previous thread. Our embassy sent out NOS to DoS at the same time (they batch the letter, so one letter had 4 applicants names). Just going to show how different the timeline can be between different people! His favorable recommendation was issued within a month of NOS while mine ended up taking 4 months.

I had no government funding but had 2 different J1 sponsor organizations. The DoS requested a “Funding source memo” and I couldn’t find much info about this request. I contacted both my sponsors and no one had received anything. This was during the government shutdown and everyone advised waiting.

I emailed the 212waiver address twice, once on 2/25 and again on 3/13 to ask who they sent the request to, as both the responsible officers on my DS2019 forms had since left the sponsor organizations. Finally on 4/3 I received a reply from this address apologizing for the long wait and stating that they re-sent the request. And then the response to the memo was received very quickly. I suspect that they did not send the original request when it was noted in the timeline as both my sponsors are very familiar with J1 waivers. 

I just received my I797 receipt from USCIS yesterday 5/8, dated as 5/1 receipt date. 

Best of luck to everyone who is still waiting!

21B0DB3F-D0B8-4F8A-8559-E579F8187EE8.jpeg

On 5/6/2019 at 4:14 AM, BorquMic said:

Hello, 

Can I reapply second J-1 visa after my  first J-1 waiver approved ?  Appreciate for any advice. Thanks.

By the way, I have returned home. 

Hi, or course you can. The problem is:

a) When you apply for a second J1 visa, you need to convince the visa interview officer that you don't have the intention to immigrate. This could be tricky because you applied for a waiver for the first J1 visa.

b) Some countries will only send out NOL once and won't give you an NOL if you apply a J1 waiver again. In that case, you couldn't apply for NOL based J1 waiver anymore. Check your government's policy.

I would say work visa such as H1b would be a better choice. We don't wanna go through all this J1 waiver thing again, right?

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Update on my case :)

My timeline:

Application packet was sent to DOS by UPS:                              March 9th 2019

Packet received (UPS tracking):                                                     March 11th 2019

DOS updated status – Documents received:                               April 2nd 2019

DOS received No Objection Statement on:                                   April 4th 2019

Favorable Recommendations:                                                         April 24th 2019

FORM I-797C NOA from USCIS received 5/9/19 (with notice date 5/2/2019)

...almost there!!! Hopefully it will not take them too long for the final approval!

4 hours ago, ANguyen said:

Hi, or course you can. The problem is:

a) When you apply for a second J1 visa, you need to convince the visa interview officer that you don't have the intention to immigrate. This could be tricky because you applied for a waiver for the first J1 visa.

b) Some countries will only send out NOL once and won't give you an NOL if you apply a J1 waiver again. In that case, you couldn't apply for NOL based J1 waiver anymore. Check your government's policy.

I would say work visa such as H1b would be a better choice. We don't wanna go through all this J1 waiver thing again, right?

Thank you very much 👍🏿

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
3 hours ago, satk said:

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to share my timeline. I have been waiting for 7 weeks now to get a recommendation.  Anybody is going through such a long waiting process?

Straight forward case with no funding from Government.  

Thanks,

J1.jpg

Hi satk,

Do you know when did you embassy send your NOS?

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
35 minutes ago, satk said:

March 18th. Thanks the_peruvian.

Thank you!

My timeline is still like this:

1. Packet sent to DOS by UPS - 04/08

2. Packet received - 04/09

3. Check cashed - 04/11

4. NOS sent by Embassy - 04/12

5. DOS status update - Documents received - 04/24

Hope everything goes well!

Best

the_peruvian

Edited by the_peruvian

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.