JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,061 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
9 hours ago, talboth said:

Is it allowed by USCIS to change status from F-1 OPT to H1B if you have previously visited US on a J-1 visa with two year home residency requirement not completed or waived? From my understanding the change of status is only rejected for changing status from J-1 to H1B. If you left US after J-1 and then returned with an F-1, you can change status from F-1 to H1B. However, you can not adjust status from H1B to green card in this particular case without receiving a waiver or completing two year stay in your home country. 

Congrats. Did you receive any government funding?

No I didn’t have government funding 

My watch has ended here!! Thank you all for the shared information. And all the best to those still waiting.

My brief timeline:

Docs sent :July 2, 2020

Docs received in system: August 8, 2020

Noc received: September 8, 2020

FR sent: December 4, 2020

i797C received: December 16, 2020

Case approved: December 31, 2020

7118A9FE-4D2E-419E-B376-3955711B55BC.jpeg

9 hours ago, YOUNGLUNYA said:

I think that could be the reason why your case went so fast and got approved. I personally had funding from Fulbright but I am hoping that the statement of reason will outweigh the  Gvt funds. Congratulations. 

@YOUNGLUNYA As far as I know Fulbright is very problematic and the risk of rejection of your Waiver application is very high. Did you get help from a lawyer? It might be good to have a Plan B in case of rejection.

1 hour ago, SG_J1 said:

@YOUNGLUNYA As far as I know Fulbright is very problematic and the risk of rejection of your Waiver application is very high. Did you get help from a lawyer? It might be good to have a Plan B in case of rejection.

Is the risk is high even with the no objection letter from embassy 

45 minutes ago, mae3006@rit.edu said:

Is the risk is high even with the no objection letter from embassy 

Yes in case of Fulbright NOS from embassy is almost never enough because the DOS will ask for US sponsor views and the US sponsor almost always denies the request. Some people have been successful but it is very tricky and you need an experienced immigration lawyer to help you formulate your statement of reason. Also once the DOS denies your request there is no possibility to fight the decision.

Edited by SG_J1

3 minutes ago, SG_J1 said:

Yes in case of Fulbright NOS from embassy is almost never enough because the DOS will ask for US sponsor views and the US sponsor almost always denies the request. Some people have been successful but it is very tricky and you need an experienced immigration lawyer to help you formulate your statement of reason. Also once the DOS denies your request there is no possibility to fight the decision.

I am now more concerned because i am not sure if my statement of reason is good enough to be accepted. in my case after I done with the Academic Training I went home but I have applied to get the waiver. 

more than six month already passed since I have started the waiver process, I have now spent in home 1/4 of two years required back home.  I showed a good face by going back. 

I am currently in the stage of request sponsor views have been sent, do you have any recommendation for me like contact Fulbright in US personally will be better or just stay silent at the moment hoping for the best 

5 minutes ago, mae3006@rit.edu said:

I am now more concerned because i am not sure if my statement of reason is good enough to be accepted. in my case after I done with the Academic Training I went home but I have applied to get the waiver. 

more than six month already passed since I have started the waiver process, I have now spent in home 1/4 of two years required back home.  I showed a good face by going back. 

I am currently in the stage of request sponsor views have been sent, do you have any recommendation for me like contact Fulbright in US personally will be better or just stay silent at the moment hoping for the best 

I do not have personal experience with this as I have had only non-US government funding. However, if I would have Fulbright funding I would try to get advice from an experienced immigration lawyer as you are fighting an uphill battle.

Edited by SG_J1

Hello! Now that DoS has I612-I613 from USCIS (hardship waiver, fulbright from Syria) how hard is it to get DoS’s approval? My lawyer says that since Fulbright is no longer available for Syrians and the US has no relations with the country that it is easy to get DoS’s approval. I would like to hear your experiences and options on this. Thank you! 

59 minutes ago, Hardship waiver said:

Hello! Now that DoS has I612-I613 from USCIS (hardship waiver, fulbright from Syria) how hard is it to get DoS’s approval? My lawyer says that since Fulbright is no longer available for Syrians and the US has no relations with the country that it is easy to get DoS’s approval. I would like to hear your experiences and options on this. Thank you! 

I think your lawyer might be right. Most important for DOS approval are the program and foreign relations considerations between the US and your home country. However, these are complicated issues and I would trust your lawyers professional opinion.

Edited by SG_J1

On 1/4/2021 at 2:16 PM, Hardship waiver said:

May i ask how you manage to make USCIS resent i612 to DOS?

I have the same problem you had. USCIS said they sent i 612 to DOS August 5th, and DOS said they never received. 

20 minutes ago, Amr Hardship said:

May i ask how you manage to make USCIS resent i612 to DOS?

I have the same problem you had. USCIS said they sent i 612 to DOS August 5th, and DOS said they never received. 

Well... USCIS did the same thing to me. And I kept calling every week and talking to a tier 2 officer to no avail. Nothing got it going, and so I did congressional inquiry. USCIS sent it to DOS within a day after that. USCIS doesn’t do anything without congressional inquiry. That was my second one. 

fyi, when you do a congressional inquiry, keep it short and just say what you want them to do. Best of luck!

1 minute ago, Hardship waiver said:

Well... USCIS did the same thing to me. And I kept calling every week and talking to a tier 2 officer to no avail. Nothing got it going, and so I did congressional inquiry. USCIS sent it to DOS within a day after that. USCIS doesn’t do anything without congressional inquiry. That was my second one. 

fyi, when you do a congressional inquiry, keep it short and just say what you want them to do. Best of luck!

Thanks and good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.