JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,061 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, no12name said:

I did have government funding (from my home government) and the box with the government funding is ticked on my DS-2019. If you want to be sure your fiancee is not subject to the two year rule, you should apply for an advisory opinion with the DoS.

What does it say for the source of funding in box 5 of your DS-2019? Does it say something like “exchange visitors government” or your university back home? Sometimes the tick is wrong on the DS-2019 so that’s why we wanted to make sure

1 minute ago, pooj97 said:

What does it say for the source of funding in box 5 of your DS-2019? Does it say something like “exchange visitors government” or your university back home? Sometimes the tick is wrong on the DS-2019 so that’s why we wanted to make sure

I was looking the box that is below box 8. There it should say if your fiancee is subject or not (although this might not be the final verdict, hence my suggestion to get an adivsory opinion). In my case, box 5 specifically lists the funding agency and the $ amount they gave to me.

J1 waiver based on hardship to USC

My timeline:

USCIS application date May 16,2019

RFE January,2020

Response to RFE April 2,2020

USCIS sent i612/613 to DOS April 17,2020

DOS website update as received June 17,2020

When should be considered as the DOS processing time start Date? Their website states 16-24 weeks as processing time, I am on 24 weeks mark this week if April 17th-USCIS sent date is considered the start. 

ds2019 expired already- got extension for exam which is expiring at the end of October.

Any suggestions / advise? 

Several inquiries by congressman office and by myself

46 minutes ago, no12name said:

I did have government funding (from my home government) and on my DS-2019 they ticked the box with "subject to 2 year home requirement due to government funding". If you want to be sure your fiancee is not subject to the two year rule, you should apply for an advisory opinion with the DoS.

I'd advice you apply for an Advisory Opinion through Department of State. When I did mine, it took roughly 3 months to determine whether or not I was subject https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/advisory-opinions.html

On 9/25/2020 at 12:12 PM, no12name said:

I don't think anybody here has recieved the hard copy of the FR. You can try to call USCIS and inquire about your case number. I tried but found it very hard to circumvent the computer voice that always hangs up on you if you don't have a case number ;) So I ended up just waiting for the USCIS notice of action.

I actually ended up getting the hard copy of the FR over the weekend (who would have thought) and it turned out it doesn't include the receipt number... So how long does it usually take to get the notice of action?
(I called the USCIS just for fun and the wait time to get help would have been 65 minutes 😂)

21 hours ago, J1hardship said:

My timeline:

RFE January,2020

When should be considered as the DOS processing time start Date? Their website states 16-24 weeks as processing time, I am on 24 weeks mark this week if April 17th-USCIS sent date is considered the start. 

ds2019 expired already- got extension for exam which is expiring at the end of October.

Are you able to call them? And did you also try reaching them out with your attorney? 

21 hours ago, J1hardship said:

3 hours ago, J1Issues said:

Are you able to call them? And did you also try reaching them out with your attorney? 

Thank you so much for your reply. We tried calling several phone numbers with no success- for instance the phone number provided by USCIS CSC is a wrong number. 
Our attorney has always seemed reluctant to contact them. 

No salary/ paying everything out of pocket including healthcare for 3 months, but also will have to take risky travel with a toddler to home country where Covid cases are at peak, if this does not resolve by the end of October.

22 hours ago, J1hardship said:

Thank you so much for your reply. We tried calling several phone numbers with no success- for instance the phone number provided by USCIS CSC is a wrong number. 
Our attorney has always seemed reluctant to contact them. 

No salary/ paying everything out of pocket including healthcare for 3 months, but also will have to take risky travel with a toddler to home country where Covid cases are at peak, if this does not resolve by the end of October.

I am not much different than you, but you may think of sending them an email to expedite to process due to urgent humanitarian need. And perhaps ask help from the attorney to write it. Or might as well you can give a shot.

11 hours ago, J1Issues said:

I am not much different than you, but you may think of sending them an email to expedite to process due to urgent humanitarian need. And perhaps ask help from the attorney to write it. Or might as well you can give a shot.

my expedite request was denied in June, re inquiry with a reply stating that all expedite requests are final. 

I am in 24 week mark, so I really expect a result soon but I am also really worried if DOS takes into account the date they updated i612/613 as received not the date USCIS status update date as they sent them which is 2 months earlier.

On 9/28/2020 at 11:49 AM, J1hardship said:

My timeline:

RFE January,2020

Hi,

I have a similar timeline to you, the only difference is that USCIS marked my document as sent on April 13 2020 and it appeared as received on the DOS website on April 29, 2020.

You should go by the DOS timeline on when the i612/613 showe up as received on their website which was in June. It clearly states on their website that time starts to accrue when all the documents have been shown as receieved

In that case you are just about 12 weeks into your processing time. 24 weeks( which is the maximum time) should be sometime in December. Maybe you should speak to your lawyer and find out the implications- if any of staying in the US till then. Goodluck. 

9 hours ago, Ebeano said:

Hi,

I have a similar timeline to you, the only difference is that USCIS marked my document as sent on April 13 2020 and it appeared as received on the DOS website on April 29, 2020.

You should go by the DOS timeline on when the i612/613 showe up as received on their website which was in June. It clearly states on their website that time starts to accrue when all the documents have been shown as receieved

In that case you are just about 12 weeks into your processing time. 24 weeks( which is the maximum time) should be sometime in December. Maybe you should speak to your lawyer and find out the implications- if any of staying in the US till then. Goodluck. 

Thanks for your reply. It does not make sense that the case just waited without being processed for 2 months- since USCIS sent date till the update. So I do not agree with you. Your case seems to be received in 2 weeks by DOS and your USCIS application date is later than me. So it would be very unfair for those in my shoes whose cases were updated just later in DOS website.

Sorry nobody truly knows how things work and I was honestly just looking for answers and some encouraging words here which noone can actually predict. 

anyways good luck to all! 

20 hours ago, Malik1979 said:

Hi, 

I have received only FR from DOS on Sep 23 based on NOS  & my lawyer said they have not heard back from either DOS or USCIS . 

Can any one guide me what should I do ? If someone has USCIS phone to call please share.

Sent documents  -23 Jan

Embassy sent NOS - 15 Aug  ( Delay due to COVID 19 ) 

updated on dos website - 23 Aug

FR by DOS -23 Sep 

Neither DOS hardcopy nor USCIS receipt received still 

Appreciate the responses.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.