JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,060 posts in this topic

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
3 hours ago, Pigletree said:

I called USCIS today (10 days after the recommendation letter sent by DOS) to ask for the case number. They said I need to file an application of I-612 on my end. Do I need to send an application to USCIS?

On 4/25/2019 at 8:54 AM, Sam86 said:

Hi the_peruvian!

I have no idea when my country did it. Honestly I thought it would take much much longer for them so I did not even started calling or checking the status and then I saw the update on the DOS website (a miracle!!). Based on the posts on this blog, my understanding is that the timelines really depend on each country... Sorry but I guess I'm not that helpful!

I have a question about the UCSIS... More than a question, I just want to make sure that I got this right: now that the DOS sent me recommendation, I just have to wait right? I mean...I do not have to do anything else besides checking my mail like a crazy person. But if I am really freaking out, I can call the number indicated on the UCSIS website and hope to find someone nice that will tell me my receipt number so I will be able to check the status of my application online.

Thanks!!

Sam

Pigletree... this is kind of the same question I asked last week but nobody helped me...maybe now someone will reply to both of us :)

Sam

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
3 hours ago, Pigletree said:

I called USCIS today (10 days after the recommendation letter sent by DOS) to ask for the case number. They said I need to file an application of I-612 on my end. Do I need to send an application to USCIS?

Actually...from the USCIS website (https://www.uscis.gov/i-612), I justo found this (in the 1-612 instructions that might be helpful: 

"Do not file Form I-612 with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) if you are seeking a waiver of the two-year foreign residence requirement based on:

1. A request by an interested U.S. Government Agency (IGA);

2. A written statement from your country of citizenship or nationality or last foreign residence that it has no objection to the waiver (also called “No Objection”); or

3. A request from a state public health department, or its equivalent, to permit you to work as a physician in a medically underserved area (also called “Conrad Waiver Program”).

You can find information on how to apply for an IGA, No Objection, or Conrad Waiver Program at http://travel.state. gov/content/visas/english/study-exchange/student/residency-waiver.html. NOTE: Foreign medical physicians who acquired J-1 exchange visitor visa status on or after January 10, 1977, for the purpose of receiving graduate medical education or training, cannot receive a No Objection Waiver.

So for example our case, we filed the NO Objection (point 2) so we do not have to submit any additional document ( no I-612...)

Sam

44 minutes ago, Sam86 said:

Pigletree... this is kind of the same question I asked last week but nobody helped me...maybe now someone will reply to both of us :)

Sam

Guys I have the same issue

I don’t know exactly what’s going on between USCIS and DOS. I called USCIS today concerning my receipt number and they have no idea what I am taking about. 

Edited by BorquMic
Error

4 hours ago, Pigletree said:

No need to file anything. Please previous posts in this and similar 2018 thread and you will get better understanding.

Check my yesterday's post where I have shared my experience with USCIS customer care. When they asked me to file I-612, I referred them to their own website to quote process for No Objection and then they got idea what I was talking about. So I have requested them to open ticket and investigate my case, if it has been received and what is a case number.

Most of USCIS customer care doesn't know about No Objection process (weird!!) and they take time to figure out. If you take discussion to the higher level 2, they even have no idea but you need to refer them to https://www.uscis.gov/i-612 and ask to read 'Where to File' category. I am writing this all again since it looks there are more people facing issue and have not read earlier posts with experiences shared by others.

Keep calling with better approach to get your NOA case number and share your experiences here. NOA should arrive in 15 days and should not take longer if within U.S. This is timeline shared by my immigration office. But to submit complain and request case inquiry, I believe you need to wait for 30 days. But who knows.

1 hour ago, Sam86 said:

Sam

Check my earlier post and you could find response to your questions in other posts in this and 2018 threads. :)

On 4/24/2019 at 2:19 PM, Limbo19882019 said:

Hey, I am also a Fulbright and got married to a US citizen, and don't know how to apply for the waiver. The lawyers I spoke with said I have no chance to get any waiver and that there is no issue. Can you please help?

Don't listen to the lawyers. They all told me that I have no chance as well and I got it. 

As I said in my post, you have to provide evidence that you stay here will meet your program goals more than if you go back home for two years. Don't make the statement about you and your marriage, because they do not care. Make the statement about the program goals. 

Let me know if you have any question. 

8 minutes ago, jadh said:

I also called USCIS. The wait time in the Vermont office is less than the California office. They did say to wait longer. It's been 19 days since favorable recommendation was sent to USCIS. 

How we will know to which office our application goes? Its purely luck or depends on the country?

1 hour ago, Kr1234 said:

How we will know to which office our application goes? Its purely luck or depends on the country?

DOS letter is always directed to the USCIS assigned center and should be written on top left corner of the letter. We receive copy of this letter for our information and record purpose.

Most of No Objection cases are forwarded to the Vermont Center by ODS, I believe but it will be good if others could share their assigned service centers too to get the exact idea.

6 hours ago, Sam2019 said:

Don't listen to the lawyers. They all told me that I have no chance as well and I got it. 

As I said in my post, you have to provide evidence that you stay here will meet your program goals more than if you go back home for two years. Don't make the statement about you and your marriage, because they do not care. Make the statement about the program goals. 

Let me know if you have any question. 

Agree with Sam2019 but you must include some strong statement mentioning what Sam2019 suggested (your stay here is more valuable to the FullBright investment thn going back home) and some supporting documents to this statement such as support letter from supervisor (higher level person, if possible) of sponsor organization on program sponsor's official letterhead will really add value to your case. Good luck!

39 minutes ago, JWaiver_2019 said:

DOS letter is always directed to the USCIS assigned center and should be written on top left corner of the letter. We receive copy of this letter for our information and record purpose.

Most of No Objection cases are forwarded to the Vermont Center by ODS, I believe but it will be good if others could share their assigned service centers too to get the exact idea.

Yes I too feel it will be really helpful if others who got the approval and who is waiting for the NOA shares their service centers to get a clear picture.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.